Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Lost - The Complete Second Season'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 07:18 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read das Monkey's DVD review of Lost - The Complete Second Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23504 and...

I was wondering about the subtitles. The review says "English captions are included", but are these Closed Captions that require a specific U.S. Television set to work, or are these English subtitles for the Hard of Hearing that can be turned on/off from the DVD menus?

This is a must-have DVD set for me, and the inclusion of subtitles is a definite must as English is not my native tongue and the dialogue on the show can at times be quite technical.

Fantastic review, by the way.
Old 08-29-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My apologies for the lack of clarity. They are subtitles, accessible from the DVD menus. The press material for the set refers to them as "captions" as does the DVD itself, but I should have been more specific. They can be reached from the DVD menus under SETUP, CAPTIONS, ENGLISH FOR THE HEARING IMPAIRED.

das
Old 08-29-06, 01:18 PM
Cool New Member

Thank you VERY much for your fast reply, this helped a lot. I hope my query didn't come off sounding like a critique of your review, as it wasn't meant as such. Your review was very thorough and many DVD reviews out there don't even bother with subtitle details. This was the first Lost: Season 2 review I've found and it was great to get the proper information right from the source.

I've put my order in for the DVD set. Now I just need the money to get all the other wonderful September releases.
Old 08-29-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not at all. Our readers have made it known that this information is important to them, and I should have been more clear. "Captions" is too generic a term.

Thanks for reading the review, and I hope you enjoy the set.

das
Old 08-29-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get a room you 2.

Very nice review as always das. Not olny are you the appointed TV deity at dvdtalk but probably the best reviewer on this site as well. If you'll excuse me, I have to wash that brown stuff off of my nose...
Old 08-29-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Great review, das. I know it must have taken a lot of effort to write it, so good job.

Although I am a little surprised that you didn't single out the Charlie & the baby episode (titled "Fire + Water") for criticism, given that it's now generally regarded by most fans as the absolute worst episode of the show (at least so far). Luckily, episodes that bad are the exception for this show, not the rule, but I'm just surprised you'd skip such an easy target in your review - most reviewers practically salivate over such a slam-worthy opportunity.
Old 08-30-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The less said about Charlie, Claire, and especially Aaron, the better.

das
Old 08-30-06, 10:38 PM

Interesting how different people see the different characters. I like Charlie's character (though I don't always like how the writers use him), but have always disliked Jack and Michael. In Season 2, I have started to dislike Locke and Hurley quite a bit. I am pretty neutral on Shannon and Claire.

I find some of the minor characters much more interesting - Desmond, Libby and Alex in particular.
Old 08-31-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Personally, I couldn't stand Shannon and Boone after their episode in s1. Other than that I have no problems.

My gripe is with most Lost fans. I don't mean this to be an insult to anyone, but sometimes the stuff they say and post is unreal. The serialized drama is dying...I think a majority of the American TV audience wants something that can be wrapped up (CSI, House, Law & Order, almost any sitcom) with in hour. But you still get character development. You don't really have to think about it.

For a show like Lost, new fans come in confused...and are frustrated. And current fans think they are going to get answers, and they don't. I find it more fun with I don't know things. I pay attention, and even I missed a few things this season. But that is the fun of it. It makes the show more fun.

If I had to pick an episode I didn't like, it was "Everbody Hates Hugo". I found it to be incredibly pointless, but it did give Hurley some depth. My other gripe was at the beginning of the season, was it really required to show the same stuff from 3 different POV's over the course of 3 episodes? No it wasn't. But I can live with it.

When you get down to it, the show is made for the loyal fan base, not the people who come in late. It is what it is, and it won't change. But I think the show is going to be better (for other people not me) with the new schedule. Should be interesting.
Old 09-02-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
The serialized drama is dying...
Oh, is that why Desperate Housewives, Lost, Prison Break, The Shield, Sopranos, Rescue Me, Battlestar Galactica, etc etc etc are so successful? Because serialized drama is *dying*? LOL. Take a look at the new shows coming this fall- a majority of them are serialized dramas. What you're saying is that everyone who watches tv is lazy and incapable of following a plot. Don't put the rest of the country to your own standards.
Old 09-04-06, 10:05 AM

Just opinion, no need to get riled up. I think the ratings over the years have shown that. CSI has been tops for some time...and that is far from serialized.

However that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was trying to point out, that fans have to start right from the begining or they might not be interested.
Old 09-05-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice job, das.

Personally, I'm just happy to finally have the Man of Science, Man of Faith/Mama Cass segment on DVD. That is one terrific sequence...

Here's my Lost S2 review, if you're bored....

Last edited by Pointyskull; 09-05-06 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-05-06, 08:16 PM

For me I loved watching season 1 of Lost on DVD watching one show after another. I am not a huge Sci fi fan. Season 2 goes in all sorts of directions. I thnk the problem is anyone who hasnt seen season 1 or 2 will not start watching now. Desperate Housewives, Greys Anatomy-you can pick up at any point and go from there. Lost is confusing enough. Networks have trouble with serialized shows. Many try to resolve themselves per episode and some have continuing story lines-not serials though.

Rob
Old 09-06-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
However that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was trying to point out, that fans have to start right from the begining or they might not be interested.
Perhaps, but it's no different than 24, which in many ways revolutionized TV on DVD. Before 24 we had to wait years (sometimes in vain) to see our favorite shows on dvd, and when we did see them on dvd it cost an arm and a leg just to buy a single season.

The success of 24 s1 on dvd proved that it's economically viable in both the areas of dvd and television to release a preceeding season before the next season began and to provide excellent content at a reasonable price. Because of that marketting model, those viewers who want to get into a show can get into a show before the start of a season and without breaking the bank. For example, if you want to get into Lost you could theoretically get s1 and s2 this week (for less than $100 total) and possibly finish watching both before s3 starts in October.

While I agree that Lost has a somewhat exensive and possibly intimidating mythos, it is certainly not impossible to get into the show and get caught up if one is willing to put forth the the time and the money.

Last edited by mifuneral; 09-06-06 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-06-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

98% of television is made for the lazy. I'm thankful for any show that reaches beyond that, even if it doesn't always succeed. If reactionary and/or lazy viewers get left behind, tough. There are countless other shows they can watch that don't require any effort.

das
Old 09-06-06, 08:32 AM

You hit the nail on the head. I think the DVD has changed things for the people who are scared...or intimidated. It lets them watch at their own pace.

This now comes full circle...that is why the serialized format is taking a hit...in a way. The ratings may grow, but it is a little rocky. 24 is a great example. It wasn't huge, but it wasn't bad. People buy the DVD's and the ratings go up.

It is a vicious cycle. But I think the industry (most of it...) is still suffering from "Friends syndrome". If a show scores 20 mil out of the box, everything is fine. If it dips to 15 for the season, it is a hit. NBC's "The Office", is an example of how to develop things. The show was by all means a failure in that first season. But Steve Carell had a good movie and iTunes started selling the episodes and bam it became a hit. And it didn't hurt that it had a good lead in.

It's tricky. What can I say? But I think the audience is starting to wise up. CSI and Law & Orders are boring...to me anyways. I like to think, hence why I watch Lost and may other like it.