Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Guardian of the Realm'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Guardian of the Realm at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22422 and...while it is very amusing to write snappy, funny, zinger-laden reviews, it is often said that those that can't do, teach...or write frustrated reviews because they themselves can't be filmmakers...

Guardian has problems, no doubt. I WAS THERE. I CAN TELL YOU PERSONALLY. But get your facts straight: The demons look like people AFTER they've come through a dimentional rip, attack and kill someone, THEN take on their appearance. It's in the movie. Watch it. I swear it is.

Is it LONG? Depends on your point of view: I just sat through SUPERMAN RETURNS the other night, and I could have taken 20 or 30 minutes out of that sucker (not to mention that it was better the first time when it was called SUPERMAN:THE MOVIE). I watch all 3 hours and 36 minutes of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS every year, and it just keeps getting better every time I see it. I imagine that if we'd cut more out of Guardian, you all would have bitched about how short it was, how there was no character or plot.

Acting? To each his own. I feel there is bad acting in GUARDIAN, but also feel that there is some very good acting as well. I feel there was bad acting in SUPERMAN RETURNS. I also happen to feel that Al Pacino gives one of the best and worst performances every time he shows up in a movie. I also think that when it's a low buget horror movie, everyone gets out their spit ball shooter and tries to have fun.

Well, have fun at someone else's expense. You've not lived until the critics have reviewed you. I personally don't think anyone who hasn't made a film should be allowed to review them, because you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. We all go to the doctor, but I wouldn't dare try to tell him how to use a scalpel. I just know if I liked the office visit or not.

Lastly, we did cross reference other sources, but get it right! H.P. Lovecraft?!? Try BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and BLADE, to name the two that actually influenced the director. As for "transfer quality", we made the movie for so little money you would actually be impressed before you asked us just how we did it. Do we deserve slack for that? No. But I'll tell you the same thing we told the Sci-Fi Channel: How about reviewing this for the intended audience instead of trying to be cute? Martial arts fans WILL GET the martial arts. Horror and Sci-Fi fans will get the in-jokes and the plot. And most movie fans will get some of the references, visual and verbal, and might actually HAVE SOME FUN.

Lastly, to the readers, if you are trying to make your own movie, DON'T LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS. Make yourself happy - time will tell if you found an audience. You certainly WILL NOT be able to make everyone else happy.

Thanks,

Wyatt Weed

Co-writer
Editor
Visual Effects Supervisor
GUARDIAN OF THE REALM
Old 07-02-06, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With all due respect, Wyatt, I thought I was being fairly kind with that review. And you simply won't find a bigger horror fan than me. I've reviewed hundreds of genre films, from the high-end horror classics to the lowest-grade cheese. I "got" everything GOTR had to offer, believe me.

Absolutely I think people should decide for themselves and rent what looks interesting to them, regardless of what one guy's opinion is. I also invite those viewers to come back and share their own thoughts on the movie.

Lastly, I think my review might actually inspire the curious genre fans to check the thing out, simply to see if it's as wild as I say it is. Perhaps you should be thanking me. Either way, you can rest assured that I gave the flick a completely fair shake, and that my review is my sincere and honest opinion.

I meant no personal disrespect to the filmmakers. I thought the flick was outrageously goofy and I simply wrote what the thing inspired. Best of luck on your next projects.

-sw

P.S. The "failed filmmaker" bait, although often used, does not work on me. I've wanted to be a film critic since I was a kid. Honest. Went to college and everything.

Last edited by Scott Weinberg; 07-02-06 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,276 Likes on 850 Posts
Originally Posted by wyattweed
I personally don't think anyone who hasn't made a film should be allowed to review them, because you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.
That has to be one of the most idiotic arguments I ever heard. Here's my advice to you: if you can't handle criticism, find a job in another field. The poor misunderstood artist routine isn't going to work.
Old 07-02-06, 11:25 PM

Dear SW

Most times I send a message to a reviewer, I get a sheepish back-step and an apology, so good for you. Way to keep them intact.

Mainly, I'm exercising my freedom of speech in this whole Internet game - if everyone else can be an electronic publisher, I can sure as hell reply. That's the draw back - in the old days, you actually had to SEND a letter, lick a stamp and everything. Now you just have to blurt it and hit a button. I've waited so long for this movie to come out, I'm going to enjoy it while it's here. I could just sit back and take it...but I don't want to!!

With any luck, you WILL get to review us again some day. Hey, did you really want to grow up and be a reviewer? Seriously? I mean, I guess someone has to...good thing I took out the line about understanding what an "inverted pyramid" was...

WW

Hey "eXcentris" - what do you do for a living?
Old 07-03-06, 08:51 AM

Hey the guy made a movie that actually got shelved at Blockbuster, for that I give him credit. I will also give credit for the cover design, it made me look twice and provoked me to pick it up and read the back.

I have always wanted to make a movie and have a few running around my head but life, time and finance have denied me this adventure, so I bow to anyone with the drive and determination to get the job done.

As far as box office the first shot out of the gun, how many famous directors and producers had their first movie go gold?
Old 07-03-06, 02:00 PM

Hey Teisco

Glad to hear the box art got your attention - I have to admit, we hated it at the time because it had nothing to do with our movie, and we didn't want to be like one of those other low-budget scum legends (think Empire) who would bait and switch you with the cover. We fought tooth and nail against it, but Thinkfilm said over and over that it would work, and so far, it has. If and when the DVD goes to sell-through, we're hoping to get Thinkfilm to revisit the cover art and do something closer to the movie. There is also a load of behind the scenes stuff that didn't make it onto this DVD, so hopefully that will come out later, too.

WW
Old 07-03-06, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, whoa. Empire made some great trash in the 80s, man!
Old 07-04-06, 01:58 AM

...OK...Roger Corman, perhaps?