Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk review of 'Doctor Who' (New Series - Season 1)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

John Sinnott's review of the new Doctor Who series is a great look at this revival, even choosing the exact same episodes as highlights of the season as I would. And I agree that Christopher Eccleston is a great Doctor - so great, that the mere fact he isn't in Season 2 makes it already disappointing to me (I haven't seen Season 2 yet, so how David Tennant is in the role is still a mystery to me). It is very interesting that Christopher Eccleston is missing from the extras - I guess when he left the role, he never looked back. Nonetheless, his great run as the Doctor is immortalized.
Old 06-30-06, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
It seems interesting but at a whopping $100 MSRP I'll have to pass.
Old 06-30-06, 10:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That is a huge MSRP, but I've waited to pick up this version particularly as a show of support for the show here in the United States.

And I agree with dhmac, it was a great review and has me even more excited for the release.
Old 06-30-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The set missing more than half of the overall Confidential runtime is very disappointing, however. (I know: "rights issues")
Old 06-30-06, 11:25 AM

If you've seen the full confidentials it's pretty easy to see what will be cut (mostly montages of behind-the-scenes stuff while a pop song plays in the background). Unfortunately, from my understanding, we'll also lose clips from the classic series. But the core content will still remain (interviews, etc).
Old 06-30-06, 11:45 AM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad you guys liked my review! I really had a good time watching the series, as did my kids.

There were a couple of things that I cut out of the review so that it wouldn't be too long and rambling. One of them was mentioning Captain Jack. I liked the character, expecially the banter between he and the doctor. The bisexual angle was surprising but humorous.

I'm looking forward to season two. I might actually *gasp* watch it on TV.
Old 06-30-06, 11:45 AM

You may know this already, videophile, but Captain Jack gets his own spin-off series starting in October (in the UK): Torchwood.
Old 07-01-06, 07:11 PM
Defunct Account

I hadn't heard that yet Groucho, thanks for the info!
Old 07-03-06, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
videophile, I read another review of Dr Who over at tvshowsondvd and they stated the 5.1 mix might just be the "worst" that reviewer had ever heard. The surrounds were overpowering, to the point where they had to be adjusted down along with the center adjusted up. I sorta got a sense of that from your review, but would you agree?
Old 07-04-06, 12:21 AM
Defunct Account

No, I wouldn't. While there are times when the audio is too busy, I wouldn't put all the blame on the rears. I thought the sound effects were mixed a bit too high across in all of the speakers. This was also the exception rather than the rule.

I actually thought the show sounded very good aside from those few moments. The level of the rears never bothered me, and the idea of adusting the speakers never entered my mind.
Old 07-04-06, 04:29 PM

I agree about the poor mix, although I found that this is how the show was when broadcast as well. So, for what it's worth, it's faithful. They seem to have done a better job on Season 2.
Old 07-06-06, 11:04 PM

Don't British shows always have bad sound? Excess background noise (natural and artificial), reverb, and brightness have marred the clarity of the dialogue in pretty much every British import I've watched.