Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you play any instruments?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd be surprised if this hasn't come up before (did a quick search, so someone can do another and show me how stupid I am for missing it), but just wondering what anyone here plays.

I'm a drummer, sans the rest of the band for the past five years (they're in PA, I'm in MI). I'd consider myself competent, but not great. I can keep time and a beat.

I have an acoustic/electric guitar also, but the furthest I've ever learned are basic chords. Which is more than piano, to which I tried teaching myself briefly, found out I was doing something wrong with my left hand, and that was it. I'd love to learn one day though. I almost bought an upright bass once for the heck of it, and to see if I could do anything, but I waited too long and it was gone and I never pursued it further.

So what music geniuses are out there?
Old 12-02-05, 01:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I can play piano. that's it.
Old 12-02-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I play drums (as I think I've mentioned a few times before). I play mostly metal (double bass kit), but don't exclusively listen to it. I've been playing for about 6 or 7 years. I take lessons from a guy who broke the records for World's Fastest drummer (hands and feet competition).
Old 12-02-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Piano and trumpet were the first ones I learned in elementary school and I've pretty much stuck with them till now, I'm 24.

As a kid I tried a lot of different ones, alto,tenor, and bari sax, bass and contrabass clarinet. They just didn't appeal to me as much. I'd love to get my hands on a bass clarinet except the prices are a bit much for me to swing right now.
Old 12-02-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I played the saxophone for eight years, all the way until the end of high school. I still play occasionally, but I focused more on art & design in college and still do (not saying you can't do both, of course).
Old 12-02-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,273 Posts
My living room floor, last year:

Some of those belong to a friend of mine, although I have my own Micromoog now. Can't play a single one of those things, but I keep buying them anyway. I have a darbuka now too!
Old 12-02-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been playing guitar for 15 years and love it.
Old 12-02-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bass guitar mostly. (hence my name) Got pretty good for a while. Couple local CDs, TV appearance, State fair stage, lil following. Not playing anymore.

Got my youngest a drum set that I play a lot. DX 7, drum machine, a few electrics, acoustic, 12 channel PA, effects, lil 4 track and nice Alesis 8 track.

I still dream of writing/selling a song, but now it's up to my two sons to carry the musical torch. I don't push, but when they ask ta play one of them, I'm there showing 'em what's what.
Old 12-02-05, 03:09 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Guitar, bass guitar, drums, keyboards a bit, as well as doublebass, banjo, mandolin and some woodwinds. Having played guitar for over 30 years I'm clearly most competent on stringed instruments. I also write and sing.
Old 12-02-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been playing bass guitar for 25 years. Gave up the band thing about 5-6 years ago due to work (lots of business travel at the time), but still like to keep my fingers loose and jam with friends. Still own a 5-string Modulus and 4-string Alembic, SWR amp & speaker

Can hack out a few guitar chords
Old 12-02-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I played tenor saxophone for 6 years through middle school and high school. Now I mainly play guitar and banjo. I just bought a mandolin a couple of weeks ago, so I've been half-assed trying to learn it, too.
Old 12-02-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts
Guitar. 20 Years. Sounds. Like. I. Took. It. Up. A. Week. Ago.
Old 12-02-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mainly play guitar, but I also play drums and bass, and I dabble in piano. I'm no virtuoso by any means (though I can play a mean rhythm), I use my instrument mainly as a way of get my songwriting across.
Old 12-02-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I played Tuba/Sousaphone in High School Went to the Olympics in 2000 and played in the opening ceremony too. I haven't played a note on any instrument since.

Been thinking about picking up guitar though.
Old 12-02-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Played keyboards in high school (like vibes, marimbas, etc.), and piano growing up. Currently annoying my neighbors with an acoustic guitar.
Old 12-03-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Started out in grade school on the drums. Junior high found me on the trumpet. High school introduced me to the French horn (concert band) and mellophone (marching band), and I began to teach myself the piano. Never been in a band or anything, just messed around in garages and basements with friends, doing bad versions of whatever we were listening to at the time. Tried to get back into the drums in college, and even managed to build myself a decent kit, but there wasn't anyone worth playing with in the area at the time, so I sold the kit and bought my first synth. Still own the original synth, but it's collecting dust under the bed, mainly because of several defective keys. Bought myself a Yamaha DGX-500 a couple years ago, and I still tinker around. I miss the old drum set, though. <sigh>
Old 12-04-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts
I played trumpet for about 4 years when I was in grade/middle school. I haven't played anything except the stomach-bongos since then.

I might add, I am excellent at those stomach-bongos.
Old 12-05-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All you multi-instrumental music people make me jealous! Not that I have any time anymore, but still..! It's interesting how many people do play something, and for as many people that do, it's never something that seems to really come up in conversation.
Old 12-05-05, 11:35 AM

I play the Bass guitar. I'm in a couple of local cover bands. We gig at least twice per week. We'd done a couple of original cd's back in '96, '97. Just local stuff. Even though I'm old, I still have the urge to get out there and play.
Old 12-05-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've played piano on and off for the last 25 years. My first teacher said I had the skill to play professionally, but I always looked at playing as recreation. I can't play music I don't like, and I can't just sit down and play any time, I have to be in the mood.
Old 12-05-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reverie
All you multi-instrumental music people make me jealous! Not that I have any time anymore, but still..! It's interesting how many people do play something, and for as many people that do, it's never something that seems to really come up in conversation.

I tried guitar several times and could never get anywhere.....although all I practiced were Metallica solos. Still, my hands are too large and beefy for guitar so the drums suit me well.
Old 12-05-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hell no. I've made "songs" using FruityLoops but they are horrible.
Old 12-06-05, 10:20 AM

I've owned a guitar for around 10 years and I pick it up for a couple weeks every 6 months. I feel terrible about it, even though I want to learn the guitar extremely badly, I just can't get motivated enough to get past the initial learning phase.

Any tips to make me less lazy and more motivated?
Old 12-06-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been playing guitar for over twenty years. I've never had lessons and it shows. Though I've been through many guitars over the years including Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster I am now only in possesion of a Martin acoustic.
Old 12-06-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I play the guitar, the bass, the piano and the fool

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.