Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Eyed Peas: how important is Fergie to the group?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

I seem to remember this group was around for sometime before they broke through big time in early 2004. Fergie, who had just joined, was quite noticable in their videos and is what prompted me to find out who they were and how long they had actually been around.
I found out she used to be a member of Wild Orchid (thought she looked familiar), and remember her having a beautiful singing voice, which she somtimes gets to use now. However, I have noticed that the past few Black Eyed Peas videos have more or less made her the focal point while the original members have more or less faded into the BG. Today I saw a video where Fergie was dancing around with a bunch of other girls and listened to the lyrics to find out she was singing about her behind. This is about as low brow as a band can get IMO. I just have the feeling that Fergie is the group's key to the white audience and they want her to be their Gwen Stefani type figure. Any other thoughts on this?
Old 10-31-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Both about that ridiculous "Humps" song [their vain effort to promote some new slang] and the other BEP members that aren't friends with Justin Timberlake or named Will.I.Am fading into the background.
Old 10-31-05, 02:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

damn that my humps song. so catchy and annoying
Old 10-31-05, 02:18 PM

I wonder if any of the male members of blacked eyed peas 'slept' with fergie
Old 10-31-05, 02:19 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 111 Posts
have you not seen the SNL Skit about the band?

they have sold out.
Old 10-31-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
have you not seen the SNL Skit about the band?

they have sold out.

Links?

When I heard Fergie croon the line:"My lovely lady lumps" I thought I was going to barf. That is the epitome of corny songwriting.
Old 10-31-05, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
When I heard Fergie croon the line:"My lovely lady lumps" I thought I was going to barf. That is the epitome of corny songwriting.

Agreed - "lumps" has got to be the most rediculous term out there.

Sorry Fergie - When I think of "lumps" I think of oatmeal and Willford Brimley - who is also lumpy.
Old 10-31-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts
She was on Kids Incorporated (80s kids show also starrring jennifer Love Hewitt, mario Lopez, and Martika) way before Wild Orchid
Old 10-31-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
[Humpty]I like my oatmeal lumpy[Humpty]
Old 10-31-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I just have the feeling that Fergie is the group's key to the white audience
Maybe a nitpick, but I'd say a more accurate statement is that she is the key to their mainstream success. I may be the exception, but I'm white and have been a fan before they even released an album (saw a live performance and met them at CMJ).

Look at the Billboard peaks of their albums:
Behind the Front (1998): 129
Bridging the Gap (2000): 67
Elephunk (2004): 14
Monkey Business (2005): 2

They've gotten more and more successful despite the fact that their 3rd and 4th albums suck, IMO. (I absolutely love the first two, though). True, their music has been dumbed down, but also sex sells.
Old 10-31-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys are looking for artistic integrity in music marketed to 12 year-olds again?
Old 10-31-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Numanoid
You guys are looking for artistic integrity in music marketed to 12 year-olds again?
Only because Black Eyed Peas used to be very different, and very good.
Old 10-31-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Maybe a nitpick, but I'd say a more accurate statement is that she is the key to their mainstream success. I may be the exception, but I'm white and have been a fan before they even released an album (saw a live performance and met them at CMJ).

Look at the Billboard peaks of their albums:
Behind the Front (1998): 129
Bridging the Gap (2000): 67
Elephunk (2004): 14
Monkey Business (2005): 2

They've gotten more and more successful despite the fact that their 3rd and 4th albums suck, IMO. (I absolutely love the first two, though). True, their music has been dumbed down, but also sex sells.
I guess this kind of proves my argument. FWIW, I equate mainstream success with selling albums to white suburban teens when it comes to today's music market. I could see many teen guys buying this album because they like to listen to it and visualize Fergie shaking her rump in their face while they do whatever teenage males do when thinking such thoughts.
Old 10-31-05, 06:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by muMbLing
I wonder if any of the male members of blacked eyed peas 'slept' with fergie
I'm sure they tried, But anyway she is the only reason anybody pays attention to the group, Just like in the Fugees, Pras and Wycleff don't have any talent Laurin Hill is the Group.
Old 10-31-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by tommyp007
Old 10-31-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
She's very important and an inspiration to pants-pissers everywhere.

Her "hump" don't seem so good if she can't control her bodily functions.
Old 10-31-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MANBREASTS
I'm sure they tried, But anyway she is the only reason anybody pays attention to the group, Just like in the Fugees, Pras and Wycleff don't have any talent Laurin Hill is the Group.

Wow, if you think Wyclef doesn't have any talent I want to know who you think does.
Old 10-31-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I guess this kind of proves my argument. FWIW, I equate mainstream success with selling albums to white suburban teens when it comes to today's music market.
Can't argue with you there, for the most part (not sure how many teens line up to buy Norah Jones albums, though). But for the market they are aiming for, that's exactly who buys the music.

Just like in the Fugees, Pras and Wycleff don't have any talent Laurin Hill is the Group.
I'd say Wyclef has plenty of talent (listen to The Carnival sometime). He's an okay MC, but a great producer. I think we can all agree that Pras is the red-headed stepchild of the group.

Last edited by DJLinus; 10-31-05 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-31-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting fact: according to IMDB, in her childhood, Fergie was the voice of Charlie Brown's little sister Sally in a few TV specials in the early 80s. Bet Linus didn't know what he was rejecting when she called him her sweet babboo.
Old 11-01-05, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And now i hear the rest of the song.

Lady Lumps....how profound and poetic.
Old 11-01-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Pras never said he had talent. They all agreed he was their businessman. (Note that since they broke up none of them have been nearly as popular).

Wyclef, my friend, has talent. Wyclef's Masquerade was an awesome awesome album.

Lauryn Hill also had talent (and she certainly is a better singer and songwriter than Wyclef) but she just went crazy.
Old 11-01-05, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
(Note that since they broke up none of them have been nearly as popular).
How many grammys did Lauren take home with Miseducation? 5!?! Sold 12-some-odd-million copies of that album!?! Methinks she was plenty popular.

We are agreed that she is WAY crazy though . I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago and she was crying and yelling at her band / crew the whole show.
Old 11-01-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That's okay. Just don't say something that means nothin'... like "looptid."
Old 11-01-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My white sister-in-law has recently took interest in BEP. I'd guess Fergie was a big reason.

I'm not really into the "booty shaking", "sex you" type music though. If I listen to hip-hop I'd like a little more depth -- from what I understand BEP used to lean more that way. I'd probably like their pre-Fergie stuff better.

But as far as "selling to white kids" goes. I think black artists have no problem selling to white kids. I'd bet Snoop, Dre, etc. sell way more albums to white kids than black kids.
Old 11-01-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
But as far as "selling to white kids" goes. I think black artists have no problem selling to white kids. I'd bet Snoop, Dre, etc. sell way more albums to white kids than black kids.

I have no doubt that you are correct. However, I am not talking about Snoop, Dre, et al. I am talking about a group that was making mostly good and ethnic music that didn't start to really sell until they got a booty shakin white girl (who seems to spend lots of time in the tanning bed IMO).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.