Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lead singer for God Lives Under Water passes away

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP

http://www.corporatepunishment.com/n...David%20Reilly

o Irony.
Monday October 17, 2005
In a fitting tribute to our fallen comrade, David Reilly is #41 today on Myspace Rock, #3 in Emo and #1 in Electronica.

o David Reilly Press Release.
Monday October 17, 2005
Oct 17th, 2005 For Immediate Release

GOD LIVES UNDERWATER VOCALIST DAVID REILLY PASSES AWAY IN PA HOSPITAL.

Corporate Punishment is very sad to announce the passing of our good friend, God Lives Under vocalist David Reilly. Complications from an untreated infection are the reported cause of death for Reilly, who was pronounced dead around 5:15 AM on Sunday Oct 16th .

God Lives Underwater was established in 1995 and was quickly signed to Rick Rubin’s American Recordings. The group had the radio hit, “From Your Mouth” from their 1998 Interscope/1500 Release, Life In The So-Called Space Age, which was heralded as a cross between Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails.

Corporate Punishment Records released David's first and only solo recording, the EP Inside in 2004. Recently, David signed with Ruff Nation/Universal who were slated to release his debut full length, How Humans Rx, in early 2006. ( Some of these recordings can be found on his myspace site at www.myspace.com/cprdavidreilly ) Unfortunately this will never happen, which might be one of the biggest travesties of all.

Corporate Punishment resident, Thom Hazaert, (affectionately dubbed “the Rooster” by Reilly) also spent a big chunk of the past few years serving as Reilly’s manager, most recently serving as a management and creative consultant.

“I am honored and humbled to have had the chance to work with someone like him, an amazing artist and visionary, who in my eyes will always be one of the most talented people to ever walk the Earth,” says Hazaert. “David will remain forever in our hearts and will be sorely missed by everyone at CPR.”

Reilly had spent much time in recent years speaking out about his longtime bout with substance abuse. He was 34.

o RIP David Reilly
Sunday October 16, 2005
I just received the devastating news that my brother and friend, and the first artist signed to Corporate Punishment, David Reilly, (who was also the singer and one half of one of the greatest and most underrated bands to ever exist, God Lives Underwater), passed away this morning, due to complications from longstanding stomach problems (We have since found out more information, and it was actually complications from an untreated infection). David had his demons just like everyone, and he lived his life the best he could.

Yeah he fucked up, and when he fucked up it was usually big. But I am honored and humbled to have had the chance to work with someone like him, an amazing artist and visionary, who in my eyes will always be one of the most talented people to ever walk the Earth.

We had the amazing pleasure of releasing David's first and only official solo recording "Inside" last year, which we worked extremely closely on, and he had recently signed a deal with Universal to release a new solo record. (You can hear some of these recordings on his myspace at www.myspace.com/cprdavidreilly) Unfortunately this will never happen, which may be one of the biggest travestiesof all. And although he will remain forever in our hearts, David will be sorely missed by everyone at CPR.
Rest in Peace.

Thom Hazaert - aka The Rooster
Corporate Punishment Records.
Old 10-19-05, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn that's a shame...the band had potential still and it would of great to see what more he could of done as a solo artist..i think he has one album solo, but I haven't heard it. i saw them live way way back at a festival, and they were having audio problems so only got to play like 2 songs..but I always like their stuff, back in the era when it was them and stabbing westward..good times.

Last edited by TripWire; 10-19-05 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-19-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 705 Posts
So I guess he has now found out if god truly lives underwater.

Sorry. Had to.
Old 10-19-05, 03:27 PM

Got to meet him this past summer, really a great guy and its sad to hear this. RIP
Old 10-19-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Sad news. I used to listen to GLU in high school. Might have to pull out the CD I have of theirs.
Old 10-20-05, 12:42 AM

From your mouth was the 1st song I downloaded off Napster, still have it somewhere, too bad.
Old 10-20-05, 09:39 AM

what a shame... GLU are from my hometown... Pottstown, Pa area...them, Bloodhound Gang and Darryl Hall (from Hall and Oates) are our claim to fame..
Old 10-23-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts
I only have one album, Life In The So-Called Space Age, which was a departure, from what I hear.

I'll have to find something else by the group.