Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ryan Adams Prepares 3(!) New Albums for Release

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From Pitchfork:

Ryan Adams Prepares Three Albums for Release

Rob Mackey reports:
If history has taught us anything, it's that Ryan Adams is a bit of a fool. But the Fork gives credit where credit is due, so we'll at least throw some adjective like ambitious or industrious before the word fool. The proof? In the latest development from the you've-got-to-be-kidding-me-Ryan department, everyone's (least? only?) favorite alt-country icon turned pastiche-happy-harlequin has announced plans to release three (three!) full-length albums in 2005, with one being a double album. Apparently his hand is feeling better...

Yes, Adams' official website-- which used to have a whole bunch of info, and is now a cryptic graveyard-- currently boasts a phony wedding invitation with all available info regarding each record-- the double album Cold Roses, and two solo efforts entitled Jacksonville and 29. However, as of yesterday, Cold Roses, set to street on April 19th, is the only album with a verified release date. In the boy-wonder's first non-solo outing since Whiskeytown, Cold Roses will be unveiled under the name Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. Who the Cardinals are, we're still not sure, but Willy Mason producer Thomas Schick was behind the boards while they played their instruments. Schick was also twiddlin' knobs when Adams recorded his second promised 2005 album, Jacksonville, which, as every rag will point out OVER and OVER and OVER AND OVER (starting right here), just so happens to be where Adams was born.

The third album, 29, will see the industrious singer-songwriter once again team up with bosom buddy/constant contributer/producer extrordianaire Ethan Johns. We'll keep you posted as tracklists become available. Then we'll save you the trouble and raze 'em down to the one EP worth of decent songs.

And, finally, as if three records wasn't enough news to digest, Adams also announced plans to tour North America and Europe in the spring, summer, and fall. Three albums, three seasons...one Ryan Adams.
I can't think of any artist that I've went from loving to loathing as quickly as Mr. Adams. Someone really needs to teach this guy the definition of restraint. Just because you shit a song out every 15 minutes doesn't mean you have to release all of them...
Old 02-01-05, 11:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wonder if he'll put any of his past hits on those albums. I'd love to hear him remix "Summer of '69" for instance.
Old 02-01-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Just because you shit a song out every 15 minutes doesn't mean you have to release all of them...
No shiznit. He really jumped the shark after that song from that Costner Robin Hood movie.

<Yes, I know... RYAN, not BRYAN>
Old 02-01-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he needs a Quality Controll department.
Old 02-01-05, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gdrlv

I can't think of any artist that I've went from loving to loathing as quickly as Mr. Adams. Someone really needs to teach this guy the definition of restraint. Just because you shit a song out every 15 minutes doesn't mean you have to release all of them...
Agreed. Was really into "Heartbreaker." Didn't ever warm to "Gold" or "Demolition." Can't stand "Rock N Roll" but like pieces of "Love is Hell" (and damn him or the record company for releasing them first as EPs--which I bought, and then deciding to release them both as one album).

Having said that, I still hold up hope that the new album(s) will reverse the trend.
Old 02-15-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.mechrobioticon.com

it's a hilarious interview featuring Ryan Adams and Luke Lewis, president of Adams' record company. When you get the whirling thingie, click toward the bottom left section of it.