Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2005 Inductions

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 12:45 PM
~M~

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the the list:

U2
Pretenders
Buddy Guy
O'Jays
Percy Sledge

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

Here is a list who didn't make it:
Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five
J. Geils Band
Conway Twitty

Those who were nominated are deserving but I'd switch Pretenders for Grandmaster Flash. Very suprised that the J. Giles band was even mentioned.

~M~
Old 12-13-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ~M~
Those who were nominated are deserving but I'd switch Pretenders for Grandmaster Flash. Very suprised that the J. Giles band was even mentioned.

~M~
I think I read one of the women on the induction board is friends with J. Giles. That makes sense, since "Angel is the centerfold" is hardly hall of fame worthy.

It's going to be interesting as more of the 80s artists are up for nomination as I find that to be a terrible decade for music. Will Motley Crue or Minor Threat get nominations? I shudder to think of the answer.
Old 12-13-04, 02:52 PM
~M~

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I think I read one of the women on the induction board is friends with J. Giles. That makes sense, since "Angel is the centerfold" is hardly hall of fame worthy.

It's going to be interesting as more of the 80s artists are up for nomination as I find that to be a terrible decade for music. Will Motley Crue or Minor Threat get nominations? I shudder to think of the answer.
Or better yet, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or even Accept .

It would an interesting jam with those guys up with and some R&B group from the 60's

~M~
Old 12-13-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Until Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Kiss, and Deep Purple are inducted the RNR Hall Of Fame means nothing.
Old 12-13-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cactusoly
Until Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Kiss, and Deep Purple are inducted the RNR Hall Of Fame means nothing.
Deep Purple

Other people have cited them, and I can't agree.
Old 12-13-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 157 Posts
No Rush, no KISS, no black sabbath, no deep purple, no Yes, no King Crimson, no Genesis, no Alice Cooper, but FUCKING CONWAY FUCKING TWITTY was even fucking considered?!?!?!?
Old 12-13-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts
If anyone has ticket information, or any "in", I am willing to pay...Let me know...
Old 12-13-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To be fair, Black Sabbath has not accepted their nomination into the hall. They think it would be a back thing to be in there.
Old 12-13-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
No Rush, no KISS, no black sabbath, no deep purple, no Yes, no King Crimson, no Genesis, no Alice Cooper, but FUCKING CONWAY FUCKING TWITTY was even fucking considered?!?!?!?
J. Geils Band being considered is a whole damn lot worse.
Old 12-13-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ridiculous.

The hall needs:
Deep Purple
Yes
King Crimson
Rush
Sabbath
Tull
Kiss (even though they suck!)
Old 12-13-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

J Geils Band was amazing. There is a lot more to them than Centerfold.
Old 12-13-04, 11:38 PM

Sabbath doesn't want to be in the hall, can people realize this? Ozzy has said publicly that he would not accept the nomination.
Old 12-14-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's great that we all have our own opinions, i personally find the 80's as the greatest decade for music, the pop, the metal, the pop-metal, i love it all from "UB40" to "Iron Maiden" and on to "Motley Crue" so personally i can't wait for the nominations, bring em on.

Last edited by johnbook; 12-14-04 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-14-04, 04:48 AM

WTF is Conway Twitty?
Old 12-14-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Really, there's no reason for Maiden, Priest, Rush, Kiss, and Alice not to be included.

Other than the likely possibility that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame people are assholes who hate metal and refuse to recognize it.
Old 12-14-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Priest and Maiden deserve to be there, but Kiss, Alice, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath (yeah I already know), and Rush (I forgot about them earlier) should be there 1st sincethey have been around longer.
Old 12-14-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts
No Van Halen? No Def Leppard?
Old 12-14-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
The RRHOF is like the Grammy's. A select few get together to pat each other on the back and no one else gives a crap.
Old 12-14-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by johnbook
It's great that we all have our own opinions, i personally find the 80's as the greatest decade for music, the pop, the metal, the pop-metal, i love it all from "UB40" to "Iron Maiden" and on to "Motley Crue" so personally i can't wait for the nominations, bring em on.
Don't get me wrong, I love (some) 80s music: the afformentioned Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, The Smiths, New Order, Happy Mondays, etc.

But, I also find bands like Motely Crue and Poison to be appalling.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 12-15-04 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-15-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't get me wrong, I love (some) 80s music: the afformentioned Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, The Smiths, New Order, Happy Mondays, etc.

But, I also find bands like Motely Crue and Poison to be appaling.
That's cool Brain, but i guess that's why we all have our own tastes for music, i love bands like Motley Crue (and i must say i am very pumped about the reunion) and Poison, Twisted Sister, Ratt, etc.

But find bands like Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, appauling.
Old 12-15-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
No Van Halen? No Def Leppard?
I'm with you on this one, they definately deserve it.

Last edited by johnbook; 12-15-04 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-15-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Conway Twitty, born Harold Lloyd Jenkins, (September 1, 1933 - June 5, 1993) was modern music's most successful hit maker. Featuring 55 number one hits and 41 number one albums across the musical genres, Conway Twitty's totals were greater than that of Elvis, Frank Sinatra, the Beatles and George Strait. Most notably known as a country music singer, Conway also enjoyed success in early rock-n-roll, R & B, and Pop (among others).

Twitty was born in the small town of Friars Point, Mississippi. His family moved to Helena, Arkansas when he was 10, and there he put together his first band, the "Phillips County Ramblers". Two years later, he had his own local radio show every Saturday morning. While in Arkansas, Twitty indulged his second passion, baseball. He received an offer to play with the Philadelphia Phillies after high school but he joined the United States Army instead.

After his discharge from the Army, Twitty again pursued a music career. After hearing Elvis Presley's "Mystery Train," he began writing original rock 'n' roll material. As a matter of course, he headed for the Sun Studios in Memphis, Tennessee, and worked with the likes of Presley, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and many others. He changed his name in 1957, looking at a map, he selected Conway, Arkansas and Twitty, Texas. The character of Conrad Birdie in the musical Bye Bye Birdie is said to be based loosely on a combination of Twitty and Presley.

Twitty's fortune changed when he joined MGM records. Conway had all but given up hope when news came from a DJ in Ohio that he was very popular. The single "I'll Try" had failed, but the DJ flipped the single over and began playing "It's Only Make Believe". The song was an instant hit and for a brief period, some believed that it was Elvis recording under a different name. Conway Twitty became an overnight success thanks to the B side of his single. The song didn't take long to record and never was thought to have been anything but a filler until that day in 1958. The song went on to sell over 8 million records and top the charts in 22 different nations. Conway would go on to enjoy rock-n-roll success with other songs like, "Danny Boy" and "Lonely Blue Boy".

Conway always wanted to record country music and in 1965 he did just that. His first few country albums were met with country DJs refusing to play them by the count that he was well-known as a rock-n-roll singer. He finally broke free with his first number one country song, "Next In Line" in 1967. In 1970, Conway would record and release his second signature song, "Hello Darlin'". He had accomplished something that most singers never do, twice. He scored two signature songs. One Rock, one country. Up till the time of his death, Conway opened his concerts with one and closed with the other.
Old 12-15-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 157 Posts
I don't think that a brief foray into rockabilly (even if he did have a #1 hit) before becoming a staple of lamestream country music should earn Twitty a place in the RRHOF. Even by their standards, considering him over dozens of more deserving acts is pretty lame.

I didn't know Sabbath had turned them down. Good for them, although it's probably some bug up Sharon's ass about something more than any musical integrity on the part of Ozzy.
Old 12-15-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The RRHOF is like the Grammy's. A select few get together to pat each other on the back and no one else gives a crap.
Yeah that about sums it up.
Old 12-15-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
I don't think that a brief foray into rockabilly (even if he did have a #1 hit) before becoming a staple of lamestream country music should earn Twitty a place in the RRHOF.
But thats still a hell of a lot more than J. Geils Band ever did...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.