Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

HOLY MERCILESS CRAP!!!! ROTK EE clocks in at 5 Hours?!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-03, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I even believe this yet or not, but i would be very happy if it were true. Just cause I want as much of LOTR as I can get.

This was from CHUD...

When you finally get that superduper extended edition DVD box set of Return of the King some time next year, just how much more movie will you be getting?

According to The One Ring (and various reports around the net), Peter Jackson's "home cut" of the the film will clock in somewhere around five hours. This means that more than an hour and a half of footage was sliced from the already bladder-testing theatrical version of the film.

Having never read the books (hey, sue me), I can't even speculate what was edited from the film I enjoyed/endured at the cineplex. But I'm pleased that Jackson has firmly embraced the DVD format in his bearlike arms, because despite its urethra-taxing length, I'm more than willing to watch whatever he puts on those platters.

WOW.

I know of alot of stuff that was cut... like Mouth of Sauron, House of Healing etc...

but I never imagined it would lead to a 5 hour movie, I guess we just have to wait and see.
Old 12-27-03, 02:55 PM

I personally would love it if it were true, but I won't believe it til I hear something official.
Old 12-27-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bring it on.
Old 12-27-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

5 hours is excessive, even for LOTR. I think it's going to be more like 4 to 4 1/2. There is such a thing as diminishing returns, even for DVD. Taken on their own, most of the things they will add back in won't take more than a few minutes apiece, or just a few moments sometimes. But the film will get a tremendous boost, of that I have no doubt. If it's this great already, I shudder to think how damn near-flawless it will be in its extended form, which again will be regarded as 'definitive' by the true fans.
Old 12-27-03, 04:12 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
EVERY Scene that was filmed needs to be on the DVD, but not necessary in the Extended Cut

The Extended Cut should be PJ's original vision for the film with no time/commercial constaints, then other scenes which were filmed but PJ didn't want in could be on the dvd in another section

i still think there is footage from Fellowship and Twin towers which PJ is saving for an ultimate edition boxset
Old 12-27-03, 05:26 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Of course, that's including the 2 hours of closing credits.
Old 12-27-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Bring it on.

I agree

It's funny, now when I see 90min movies I feel Jipped.
Old 12-27-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
PJ is listening to his fans, and indeed, the EE will be monumental. Expect 5hrs which includes credits (I'm told 4:45 which includes credits, but it could be a tad more). He wants a "definitive EE" for the trilogy and wants to leave a hell of an impression for DVD editions.

Expect 3 DVDs for the movie, 2 DVD extras, and 1 special DVD of which I have no idea. This "special" extra DVD may be scrapped altogether, and I have no info on whether it will be included for sure.
Old 12-27-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is all great to hear, but I refuse to get worked up until I hear the official word.
Old 12-27-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
I can't argue with you on that. Anything can change at the last minute.
Old 12-27-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

mmmmmm......5 hours of RotK....
Old 12-27-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
Aah, today's Internet rumor. I'll wait for the confirmation.
Old 12-27-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Aah, today's Internet rumor.
Old 12-27-03, 09:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
PJ is listening to his fans, and indeed, the EE will be monumental. Expect 5hrs which includes credits (I'm told 4:45 which includes credits, but it could be a tad more). He wants a "definitive EE" for the trilogy and wants to leave a hell of an impression for DVD editions.

Expect 3 DVDs for the movie, 2 DVD extras, and 1 special DVD of which I have no idea. This "special" extra DVD may be scrapped altogether, and I have no info on whether it will be included for sure.
3 DVDs for the movie? I don't think so. You can easily fit 2 and a half or 2 and 3/4 hours on one DVD. I doubt the DTS and commentary track will force it to go on 3 DVDs. I think, if anything, the Return of the King EE will have five discs, but I'm still willing to bet it will be four.
Old 12-27-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I expect to see the 4:15 cut, which would be an extra 47 minutes.
Old 12-28-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If he has 5 hours of material that adds to the story then I will watch it

I really am looking forward to the dvd releases although it will leave me feeling a bit empty knowing it is over

I will miss all of these characters.
Old 12-28-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm having a bit of an empty feeling right now. Thankfully, we're less than 2 weeks away from Season 4 of Babylon 5, so I can latch on to that for a weekend to dull the pain. I really didn't care that much about the first two EEs. I loved the films, and waiting for the next theatrical installment was torture, but I didn't have any grand anticipation for the EEs. I certainly wanted to buy them, but I didn't need them immediately. Now that this ride is more-or-less over, I find that I'm dying to get the EE now. I'm so completely content with the way they treated this material, but I'm definitely feeling that sense of loss.

Bring on the EE! I suspect it's 4:15, not 4:50, but regardless, I don't mind 5 hours. The other two EEs didn't drag at all and were superior to their theatrical counterparts, so I have faith that whatever does end up in this version belongs there. I look forward to marathoning these next year.

das
Old 12-28-03, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
They couldn't add too many discs/hours of content to be "too much" for me.

Bring on the ten disc sooper-dooper special edition with hours of unedited behind the scenes footage, location scouting, watching Jackson and company eat lunch, etc.
Old 12-28-03, 02:32 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I agree

It's funny, now when I see 90min movies I feel Jipped.
I agree with both of your statements. And I can only hope the EE is 5 hours. The 3:20 cut felt like it was missing so much stuff. Hopefully, the official word will come soon.
Old 12-28-03, 03:29 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

from another poster, this website has shots from trailers that were not seen in the TE of ROTK.

http://www.freewebs.com/lord_ofthe_r...ostScenes.html

its clear that at least the following scenes were cut:

Gandalf vs. With King

Merry pledges allegiance to Theoden

Houses of Healing

The Crossroads

...and hopefully more to come.