Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Golden Globes Nominations- ROTK just 4 nods

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just announced the Nod's for the Golden Globes.

Cold Mountain dominated with 8.

ROTK just 4(Best Drama, Best Director, Score, Best Original Song)

I hope it wins. It was the best drama.
Old 12-18-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
No nominations for the actors? Geesh.
Old 12-18-03, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean and Elijah deserve at least nods...
Old 12-18-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about Last Samurai? any love?
Old 12-18-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is expected.

The HFPA always favors 'star driven' vehicles. Cold Mountain is not going to get even close to the critical and public love that the King will.
Old 12-18-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was really hoping that Sean would get nominated. His performance floored me and he deserves some recognition for it, IMO. There's always the Oscars, I guess(yeah right).
Old 12-18-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ROTK is not the sort of vehicle for acting noms at the Globes. It was nominated in every reasonably achievable Globe category except screenplay....
Old 12-18-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, some critic said this morning on Fox News: "When the Oscars come around, ROTK will get more technical nods. It's not really a great art picture..."

Pissed me off to no end. Does anyone remember when big epics were the first to get nods for Oscars? Just because this is a fantasy it's instantly downgraded...
Old 12-18-03, 09:07 PM

The Globes have never shown LOTR much love, so this is about what was expected.

Remember, though: the Globes are just 96 star-struck journalists whose main interest is in getting celebrities like Nicole Kidman to come to their party.

The Oscars are awarded by people who actually are involved in the business--and they've always been much more supportive of LOTR.
Old 12-21-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by DGibFen
Yeah, some critic said this morning on Fox News: "When the Oscars come around, ROTK will get more technical nods. It's not really a great art picture..."

Pissed me off to no end. Does anyone remember when big epics were the first to get nods for Oscars? Just because this is a fantasy it's instantly downgraded...
Ya know what DGibFen...? **** 'em.

AFAIC Peter Jackson should get an award for creating three films that were, for the most part, as faithful to the source material as was possible.

Hell, New Line should get an award for allowing PJ to film all three at the same time. I'm sitting there during the Harry Potter 3 trailer in the theatres and i'm wondering why the hell WB didn't do the same thing. I mean, we have LOtR. Granted, they're classic novels, but they seemed to have a stigma attched to them based on the past difficulty in translating them to the screen. If WB had taken the same chance and filmed the HP films in a similar fashion, perhaps whether or not the actor that plays Harry is getting too old or who's gonna replace Richard Harris would've been non-issues.

Make sense..? I mean, HP is/was an established POPULAR franchise. It's not like it was a lil self-published short story that no one had heard of. Where's the risk? In my mind, I see none.

Oh well. Back on topic....**** the critics DGibFen!
Old 12-21-03, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Hell, New Line should get an award for allowing PJ to film all three at the same time. I'm sitting there during the Harry Potter 3 trailer in the theatres and i'm wondering why the hell WB didn't do the same thing. I mean, we have LOtR. Granted, they're classic novels, but they seemed to have a stigma attched to them based on the past difficulty in translating them to the screen. If WB had taken the same chance and filmed the HP films in a similar fashion, perhaps whether or not the actor that plays Harry is getting too old or who's gonna replace Richard Harris would've been non-issues.

Make sense..?
It would make no sense at all for the actors in the Harry Potter movies to be the same ages in all of the first three movies. The characters get a year older over the course of each book - they're 11 in the first one, 12 in the second one, 13 in the third one, etc. The actors have to get older along with the characters.

Incidentally, the age of the actor that plays Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) is not an issue. He's the same age as his character - and if they carry on at the speed of one movie every year and a half, he'll only be 2 years older than his character by the end. (And a 20-year-old playing an 18-year-old is MUCH closer than is usually found in movies.) It's only been made to seem like a big deal by journalists who don't seem to have thought it through properly.
Old 12-21-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Golden Globes Nominations- ROTK just 4 nods

Originally posted by raven56706
They just announced the Nod's for the Golden Globes.

Cold Mountain dominated with 8.

ROTK just 4(Best Drama, Best Director, Score, Best Original Song)

I hope it wins. It was the best drama.

I haven't even seen Cold Mountain yet, but I'm already put off by all the excessive marketing Miramax has done. YUCK. And the Golden Globes are awarded by the foreign press - 80 members, right? **** that. I just saw ROTK last night, and to NOT NOMINATE Sean Astin is a sin. The portrayal was the best in the film. He at least deserves a nomination. Period.

Elijah Wood and John Rhys-Davies also deserved nominations. Special recognition should be paid to Andy Serkis and the Weta FX crew for the amazing Gollum. Ian McKellen, Billy Boyd, and Miranda Otto were also excellent.

Last edited by scroll2b; 12-21-03 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-21-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Except that the most respected Critics group (NY Film Critics) gave ROTK Best Picture award.
Old 12-22-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Several more critics and critics' groups around the country have put ROTK at the top of their lists. Southeastern Critics group, Michael Wilmington and Mark Caro in Chicago Tribune, etc.

Cold Mountain is at only 63% fresh at this point and is not appearing on many critics' best-of-year lists:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ColdMountain-1128336/

The Globes have always been at least somewhat out of step with critical and popular consensus.

Last edited by Jepthah; 12-22-03 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-22-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Drama and Best Director are a show in.

Sam should have been given a nod for Best supporting actor.

Andy Serkis "Best Something", he did get an MTV award last year.
Old 12-23-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

[EXCEPT the highly accurate NY Film Critics Group ]
Fixed, Grimfarrow
Old 12-23-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've long ago given up on the validity of any of these so-called mainstream awards shows, ie GG & Oscars. They seldom choose any of the right films for any of the categories. Just look at their past record.
Old 12-24-03, 07:27 PM

Lets see, ROTK is at the top of many critics 10 best lists for the year and more people have/will see it and like/love it more than any other film in 2003.

I've seen most of the other films that are being mentioned and although ROTK has it's flaws it is easily better than the rest of the field.

It should win, If it doesn't the Oscars go the way of the Grammy's - a joke. I don't always agree with the Academy's choice of Best Picture but most of the time I can understand it.

They have a chance to give a deserving film the Oscar and bring a whole new generation of new movie fans into the fold. Let's see if they blow it. I gotta belive that most actors, directors, producers and others who make up the academy know what went into to the making ROTK and reward it accordingly.

Best Picture.
Old 12-25-03, 01:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Every time I see something win at the Golden Globes, I just keep thinking: "They gave Richard Gere a best actor award." I knew in my bones that was just so wrong, especially since Gere was the worst thing about Chicago. Then, when he wasn't even nominated for an oscar, oh, how I was vindicated.

I never really understood the point of the golden globes. It's just 80 or 90 random people who get together and hand out statues. So what? Why is this thing getting almost as much hype as the oscars? I don't understand it.
Old 12-28-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mike45
I've long ago given up on the validity of any of these so-called mainstream awards shows, ie GG & Oscars. They seldom choose any of the right films for any of the categories. Just look at their past record.
Huh, really? And who's to say which films are the "right" ones? You? Why does your opinion trump somebody else's? There is no "right" opinion and the idea that the Academy sucks because they don't agree with everybody's opinion is simply getting old. It's all subjective and the sooner people learn to live with that, the happier you will all be.
Old 12-29-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just think: Jim Carrey has 2 Golden Globes.
Old 12-29-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cant still understand Shakespear in Love over Saving Private Ryan.........

If Lord of the Rings doesnt win, then at least we can help Peter Jackson get a nice paycheck for the repeat viewings of this film.
Old 12-29-03, 11:33 AM
Retired

I liked Shakespeare in Love much more than Saving Private Ryan.

It's just a matter of opinion.