Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

lotr trilogy sore ass edition: thoughts, comments, audience vibes ect.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this will be the designated thread for everyone to talk about how their trilogy tuesday went.

i just got back from fotr ee. (i have a final later today that should last about 5 minutes, so thats why i am here now typing away). it started with a represenitive from new line going over all of the rules and times. there were about 3 or 4 applauses just from that. the first applause was when Aragon came on, then orlando blooms character. overal, everybody there seemed to really enjoy themselves. nobody from where i was sitting ever fell asleep. the biggest cheer from the audience was when at the end of hte last battle sequence.
Spoiler:
aragon cut off the orc's head
. then just a really loud cheer once the movie was over and then it continued over peter jacksons name.

i'll be back tomorrow to tell how everything went tonight.
Old 12-16-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you, crazy? Get back there!
Old 12-16-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
What are you, crazy? Get back there!
can't get back there till later tonight because i have a "mandatory" final i have to show up to.

and the cap code came into play only during one scene, and it wasn't distracting that much. other then that, the print and the sound were amazing, watching it on the senator's huge 80 foot screen.
Old 12-16-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
again, what's this cap code thingie?
Old 12-16-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bro, I think it's safe to say that there are no spoiler tags necessary for FOTR or TTT, just the third film that you will see before most of us here tonight, I hate your guts.

Spoiler:
Have a super time!

By the way, there was a local news report on the one going on in the Cleveland area. The dude sitting next to the news reporter in the darkened theater looked into the camera and did a dead-on Gollum impression, i.e. "Turn the lightsss off! It hurtssss our eyesss, precioussss!" Fans were so pumped to be there in that sellout crowd, some were in costume. The ushers and ticket-takers said their security and ticket screening was super-tight--there had even been reports of forgeries. Heh heh.

Last edited by Jepthah; 12-16-03 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well i just got back. this is an amazing movie and peter jackson deserves all the credit in the world for this movie.the special effects were brilliant, and even so was the acting as well. on the ending, only a few of the storylines were finished and many were left on the cutting room floor, so be on the look out for the ee which supposingly has about 45 min to an hour of new footage. the audience went crazy during many of the battle sequences, and at what happens at the end. and i am happy to report that there was no use of the cap code! the cap code are little patterned red dots that pop up here and there supposlingly according to the mpaa, to stop bootlegging.
Old 12-17-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm completely and utterly wiped. I really enjoyed the show but as much as I wanted to see these films I just wasn't mentally prepared for such a looooooong day.

I wish I would held off watching the EE of The Two Towers. It was hard sitting there for 2 EEs before the last film.

I did have a good time except for the 4 girls to my right cried for about the last 30 minutes of the film. I understand fans and all and I too get worked up over movies but it was the loudest weeping I've ever heard. Thank goodness out theater handed out tissues to the movie goers right before the final film.

It was a great experience but it was by far the longest movie day I've ever had or dreamed of having.
Old 12-17-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just returned as well from the Dallas/Plano showing of the trilogy. Great day. Short summary.

1. They opened a second smaller theater to accomodate. I ended up there. Lots of room in this theater. Bet the ebay buyers were pissed. Not sure but they may have sold a few more tickets to walk-ups.

2. The right speakers went in and out during TT. Bass seemed to have a lot of feedback in it. Pretty dissatisfied with the sound.

3. Food situation wasn't great. I ended up running to Jack in the Box to avoid the lines.

4. The free gift is some sort of film frame/slide. looks nice from the box. I'll give it to a friend who collects stuff like that.

5. ROTK is THE film to see this holiday. I bet it does more business than the other two did. Remember how TT seemed to build on FOTR's success?
Old 12-17-03, 01:49 AM

The audience in Worcester cheered when FOTR started, then not until when Legolas showed up and all the girls flipped out. I don't remember much cheering during TTT, but during ROTK they cheered for each of the big hero moments during the big battle. And there was a huge applause at the end of each movie. Oh, and everyone laughed in all the right places throughout.

It was rough sitting through the TTT:EE in the theater. Definitely much better at home when you can pause when you want.
Old 12-17-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got back and I'd have to say that this is one of the greatest experiences I've had at the movies. I went to the Star Theaters in Southfield, Michigan.
My friends and I got there a little later than hoped, so we were in the 3rd row from the front, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Nobody was sitting infront of us, so that allowed us to lean back and kick our feet up. Before the first show started, the guy on his mic was talking about "Turn off all your electronic devices," and my friend's dad who was sitting next to me had his laptop on. So everyone in the crowd started yelling at him! I thought it was funny anyway.
There were some people who dressed up but not a whole lot. There were many cameras and reporters there doing interviews. A couple of my friends and I got interviewed by the Detroit Free Press, I'll see if it comes up tomorrow.

Anyways, everyone in the crowd seemed to be really into the movies which was pretty neat. There was a lot of cheering and a lot more laughing than what you'd hear in a normal crowd. The FOTR was the hardest to sit through because I'd seen it many times before. I dozed off a little, but I woke up, I was up late last night. TTT was great. I was enjoying the movie along with everyone else in the theater. In between all the movies, there were some resturaunts inside the theater, a Tubby's, a Big Boy, and something else. I had the Tubby's and it wasn't bad.

As for ROTK, I was absolutley blown away. I couldn't believe how good it was. No doubt about it, it's my #1 movie of the year. I don't think I have to go into great detail, but the crowd and I loved it.

The little collectible frame we got after the show is pretty cool. I'm glad New Line did something like that for us. It'll stay on my shelf.

Edit: The only thing that really pissed me off, was that they didn't show any of the trailers before ROTK. I knew there was supposed to be a great line-up of new trailers, and we didn't get any of them. That bummed me out but I guess I'll check em out on the internet.

Last edited by MasterCXtreme; 12-17-03 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-17-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Just got back from the Houston, TX screening @ Edward Cinemas.

Almost a near-perfect movie experience.....

Management allowed everyone to bring their own food.
The cellphone rule was actually enforced.
There was a raffle for various prizes
And finally the awesome free gift.

The only thing that irritated me and several others was a group of about 4 idiots providing unecessary, scene specific commentary throughout all three films and after ROTK(I almost said "to hell with free gift")

These jerks had a hard-on for all three films:
- They needlessly pointed out scenes that should have been in the TT instead of ROTK or stuff left out of TT and inserted in FOTR(you get the picture).

- They would bitch about how certain scenes differed from the book(s)

The Films

Fellowship
For some reason, I thought this filmed dragged a little bit. Not sure why since the EE is ultimately superior to the theatrical cut. Found myself nodding off here and there.

Two Towers
The EE rocked! Definitely easier to watch the second time around. Loved the extended Gondor scenes. Gimli and Legolas got a bit more dialog

King
Best film in the trilogy. Very fast paced. The only problem was it looked like it couldn't decide where to end.

After these past 3 years....what do we look forward to now?

Last edited by candyrocket786; 12-17-03 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-17-03, 04:00 AM

The Movie was PERFECT!!!

I did have 1 bad experience and that was the management was ASSIGNING the SEATS!!! I felt as if I was in Grade School....I thought I stood in line for 2 hours and paid THEM to Pick my own seat....Not be told to set in a Corner Seat

Bruce
Old 12-17-03, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate when people applaude during movies, about 8 or 9 times if I recall, not including the end or the beginning.
Old 12-17-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You mean not only did I miss out on the whole trilogy tuesday sore ass editions, but I also missed out on a film strip/frame collectable.

Saw it at midnight, lost my party and ended up seeing it by myself which kinda sucked ass. then on the way home my car decides to start leaking fuel.

Over all, loved the movie. going back to see it today again since it's my day off when I get my car back. the crowd had it's moments when bloom was on screen, glad to see a lot of folks staying for the credits. Loved it. harsh crap I missed out on the trilogy tuesday EE back to backs and gift.

edit: Son of a b#@$@, they look like this:

I really wish new line offered more showings of the EE trilogy tuesday

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 12-17-03 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-17-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got those gifts.... All in all, it was a great experience to go to the Trilogy tuesday. Awesome crowd and very emotional at the end.
Old 12-17-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got there an hour early, and we were #180 in a 300 person theatre. The freak factor was pretty low too. I saw a few elf ears, and a few pieces of signet jewelry, but I was afraid half the people would be in costume.

I noticed the cap codes twice. I never notice the yellow ones, but the reds ones are REALLY distracting. There were about 50 of them in the 15 minutes after the wargs in TTT, and ROTK had a few in one of the earlier Osgiliath/Minas Tirith scenes, but nowhere near as many. Nevertheless, it was distracting, as was the 30-40 reel changes they had to do.

I think I will have to watch ROTK another time, since I was pretty damn cranky by the time it showed, and I was hating the audience for cheering at every single scene. Luckily the theatres had the foresite to turn up the volume, so the crowd usually got drowned out by the score. The disadvantage of this was that it made the ringwraith/fell beast screams in episodes 1 and 3 painfully loud.
Old 12-17-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by vdadlani219
I hate when people applaude during movies, about 8 or 9 times if I recall, not including the end or the beginning.
Yep, there were a certain group of people who clapped, shouted and laughed throughout the trilogy. It got worse w/ every movie, too. It became quite obnoxious and annoyed the piss out of my group during RotK. Clap when the damn thing is over and let the rest of us enjoy the film.
Old 12-17-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You mean not only did I miss out on the whole trilogy tuesday sore ass editions, but I also missed out on a film strip/frame collectable.

edit: Son of a b#@$@, they look like this:
Jack, I can probably get you the collectible from someone in my group who doesn't want it. If I can I will email you.
Old 12-17-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by B.A.hist
Yep, there were a certain group of people who clapped, shouted and laughed throughout the trilogy. It got worse w/ every movie, too. It became quite obnoxious and annoyed the piss out of my group during RotK. Clap when the damn thing is over and let the rest of us enjoy the film.
Buy you guys went the wrong day if you are expecting a passive theatre audience.

I had no problems with people cheering the various scenes, the Legolas "reverse mount" scene in TTT even got a small cheer again.

What I did have a problem with was the four goofballs behind us that kept some kind of running conversation going through the three movies. Shuddap already!!

But I couldn't really say anything to them as the friend I saw it with made his own contributions, much to the consternation of my sister and I.
Old 12-17-03, 12:22 PM

I'm still recovering from my 13 hour experience. Overall, my theater (Springdale, OH) did a fantastic job organizing this. They split the screening between the two largest theaters, so everyone was comfortable, with an empty seat next to you if you desired, and no one having to sit in the front or ends. To prevent movie jumpers and forgers, they had ushers standing in front of both theaters for all 13 hours checking tickets with a black light for a watermark. Before FOTR, they took a show of hands to see how many people wanted pizza, hot dogs, etc during the first break so they would have enough prepared to accomidate everyone and move the line quickly. They also brought in a cart filled with food so you could get snacks without having to battle the crowds at the concession stands. The crowds were excellent during the movies. You could hear a pin drop most of the time, and there was a lot of laughter and enthusiasm at all the right spots. Excellent moviegoing experience, and I'd gladly do it again.
Old 12-17-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Fanboy
Buy you guys went the wrong day if you are expecting a passive theatre audience.
I understand that, but the group in question was far worse than anyone else in the theater. Honestly, they over did it and it was quite obnoxius.
Old 12-17-03, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD

I did have a good time except for the 4 girls to my right cried for about the last 30 minutes of the film. I understand fans and all and I too get worked up over movies but it was the loudest weeping I've ever heard. Thank goodness out theater handed out tissues to the movie goers right before the final film.

It was a great experience but it was by far the longest movie day I've ever had or dreamed of having.
WHATTTTT? someone died? Oh man..you ruined it for me! j/k hehehe. i wonder who.
Old 12-17-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What an amazing theatrical experience it was. My only gripe(besides some annoying audience members)was the stupid CAP codes. They were extremely noticable in many cases to the point that other audience members around me were whispering "what was that?" after they appeared onscreen. It was the worst during the mirror of Galadriel scene in FOTR. It appeared frequently on Galadriel's and Frodo's foreheads where it was most visible.
Old 12-17-03, 02:06 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though I didn't go, I heard that Pizza Hut fed the LOTR Trilogy audience here with 100 free pizzas... That's pretty cool.
Old 12-17-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by B.A.hist
Jack, I can probably get you the collectible from someone in my group who doesn't want it. If I can I will email you.
You've got mail. thank you once again, hopefully you can, but I understand if you can not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.