Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When should I go see ROTK?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-03, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had a chance to see any of the LOTR movies in
theaters yet. I really want to go see ROTK but need advice on when would be the best time to go.
I dont want to go when the theaters packed so going on the first day is out of the question. The week after i'm sure will be crowded due to schools being on christmas break.
I'm thinking of going to the 10:30 am show the day after it opens.

Has anyone gone to early morning shows and not had a big problem (ie talking,snoring,cell phones) ?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Take my advice: Go to the midnight showing the night before opening day. I know you don't want crowds, but unless you wait 2 months to see it, you will get crowds. I hate crowds to; it usually means people talking loudly, babies crying, cell phones ringing, and other types of general disregard for everyone else.

HOWEVER, the midnight showing will not be like this. This showing draws a totally different group of people than any other showing - the diehards. They are there to indulge in the movie 100%. They have waited patiently for 2 years, and are at that theater for the sole purpose of enjoying every second of the movie. That means you won't get the talking or other disrespectful behavior (ok, you still might hear some phones ring, but that’s inevitable).

And nothing beats the experience of seeing a huge movie like this in the midst of excited fans. In the quiet scenes, you will be able to hear a pin drop; when something exciting happens, the group will cheer and applaud uproariously (though still appropriately). It's the perfect movie watching environment for any movie of this magnitude, and it wonderfully enhances the mood.

Keep in mind, I'm talking from past experience, but I suspect this is a pretty constant phenomenon. But do whatever you want, just understand that, unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, the crowds will be huge for this movie all day for a month or so. I couldn't possibly wait that long.
Old 12-10-03, 03:32 PM

i agree, the midnight showings are always my favorite, you get some fanboys but once the movie starts they quit the jabber. it's just a different feeling when you see a midnight show, like caiman said there's energy in the air
Old 12-10-03, 03:46 PM

I'm looking forward to my Trilogy Tuesday experience for these very reasons. Nothing but hard-core fans, hopefully
Old 12-10-03, 03:52 PM

ok, so a midnight show would be best.

Anybody else doing the midnight show in San antonio?
I'll probably go to the Quarry to see it.
Old 12-10-03, 04:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
HOWEVER, the midnight showing will not be like this. This showing draws a totally different group of people than any other showing
You got that right:

Old 12-10-03, 04:03 PM

i'm all the way in the back row.........left
Old 12-10-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
You got that right:

And damn proud of it!
Old 12-10-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to see FOTR and TTT the opening days mid-afternoonish, and the crowds were never that bad. Just a thought.
Old 12-10-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Seriously, unless you're going to the MANN chinese theater or the only theater within 500 miles, I don't think crowds are going to be too much of an issue in the morning. A 10:30 showing on the 18th will not be too packed. That's a thursday, it's early, and it's the day after opening. Honestly no movies sell out all day every day for weeks on end. Avoid evening and opening day and you won't have a problem.
Old 12-10-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
You got that right:

LOL.......... hey there's booger
Old 12-11-03, 03:47 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: When should I go see ROTK?

Originally posted by draven31
I haven't had a chance to see any of the LOTR movies in
theaters yet. I really want to go see ROTK but need advice on when would be the best time to go. .
first question: WHY havent you seen 1 & 2 in the theater?!

anyway, i personally love seeing a movie opening night. you just have to get their early. with these films, it'll be the real hardcore fans that show-up the first night, which is actually a good thing. there wont be any babies, or cell phones (they'll be sure to turn them off), and like the above post, they'll be quiet at the right moments, and cheering the right moments. just get there early to have a good seat.
Old 12-11-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow ... I checked the times in my local 7 screen theater ... only 3 shows a day for ROTK. 12, 4:30, and 9.
Old 12-11-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I will wait until the week after Christmas.
Old 12-11-03, 02:59 PM

Received 821 Likes on 536 Posts
Anybody else doing the midnight show in San antonio?
I'll probably go to the Quarry to see it.
I'll be in SLC for the Christmas Break, so I won;t be around.

I saw FOTR in the Quarry theater with my bros two years ago. It was my single worst experience ever in a theater (except for the one time I saw Hook, but that a bad theater to begin with).

There were a bunch of teens behind us, swearing, talking on their phones, teasing their girls... and then when the lights faded we heard the popping of can tops and the smell of beer.

My bros and I didn't say anything, cause after the first few minutes, the smell disappated and they shut up.

Besides, the theater was cramped the picture was fuzzy and the sound was hollow.

Saw TTT at the one in the Northwoods Cinemas (281 & 1604). Everything was perfect. My friend and I go to the shows about every other week and we rotate between the Northwoods and Live Oak theaters (all three are Regal). But we live on the Northside of SA and both are only a few minutes away.

As for the times... wait about a week and then go to a late show (but take an afternoon nap first).

Hey Groucho... where are you gonna see it? (My bro's getting tickets to "Larry Land"... er whatever its called where the old Jordan High was.)
Old 12-11-03, 03:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Goldberg74
Hey Groucho... where are you gonna see it? (My bro's getting tickets to "Larry Land"... er whatever its called where the old Jordan High was.)
It's called "Jordan Commons," and they're nice theaters. Even have an IMAX screen.

I'll be seeing it at my regular theater: the Century 16. I have to wait all the way until Monday the 22nd though, as I have family coming to down. Grr...
Old 12-11-03, 04:03 PM
Retired

Re: When should I go see ROTK?

I'm thinking of going to the 10:30 am show the day after it opens.

Exactly when I'm going. 10:30 am Thursday. Shouldn't be to crowded. Mall shouldn't be over run with shoppers. Kids in school, people at work etc.
Old 12-11-03, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Geminix
I'm looking forward to my Trilogy Tuesday experience for these very reasons. Nothing but hard-core fans, hopefully
Rich ones at that. Or have you not seen the prices on eBay?
Old 12-11-03, 05:10 PM

Re: Re: When should I go see ROTK?

Originally posted by TCG
first question: WHY havent you seen 1 & 2 in the theater?!

For Fotr I was working nights the only days off I had were the worst for seeing movies without morons.
For TT My husban was sick ...didn't really feel much like going to a loooong movie.

This one I'm going to first and then I'll drag him along.

But I know the theater off 281, I'll try that one.
Old 12-12-03, 10:49 AM
Retired

Re: Re: When should I go see ROTK?

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Exactly when I'm going. 10:30 am Thursday. Shouldn't be to crowded. Mall shouldn't be over run with shoppers. Kids in school, people at work etc.
Damn, just had something come up. So I'm going to go up Wednesday same time and exchange the ticket (if it's sold out, which is unlikely I'll exchange it for a friday morning ticket).