Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

official: GameCube drops to $99

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 05:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
official: GameCube drops to $99

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6075612.html

"Senior analyst Billy Pidgeon of the Zelos Group commented on the price drop saying, "If you're going to sell the GameCube for under $149, you're losing money...they're throwing their margin away, basically dumping them." "

growing up on nintendo, it's hard watching them ever so slowly dwindle. oh how the mighty have fallen.

i wish they would change their attitude and just take over the videogaming world, but that's doubtful.

edit: it's also weird that gba-sp and gamecube are now at the same price...

Last edited by draggoon01; 09-23-03 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-23-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as it pains me to say it, maybe they should pull a sega and go third party. I love my cube, but Nintendo just isn't gonna be able to beat Sony and MS. Maybe they'll prove me wrong with their next console(assuming it still comes out) but I'm just not so sure. Oh well, I've enjoyed my cube for the 149.99 I spent on it in may of 02.
Old 09-23-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear lord... here we go again with the "Nintendo=Sega" crap. Get over it. This company makes millions and millions of dollars on the back of the GBA. It can afford to dump a few million consoles the same way that Microsoft has lost money on every single X-Box.

Perhaps the mods should just close this thread and save us the bandwith.
Old 09-23-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey if you don't want to look at this thread don't. I'm well aware that nintendo makes a killing of the GBA, but in case you haven't noticed the cube isn't selling so well.
Never did I say Nintendo=Sega, rather I'm using that as an example of a business move that seemed to have worked for a company in a similar situation.
I'm continually amazed at how insane threads like this become. Someone says one thing and someone takes it out of context and flies off the handle.
Old 09-23-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Madcougar I think you should calm down. His post wasnt crap. It made sense. He wasnt bashing the gamecube. He just suggested the possibility of going third party. Why are people so defensive about video game systems is beyond me.
Old 09-23-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Madcougar I think you should calm down. His post wasnt crap. It made sense. He wasnt bashing the gamecube. He just suggested the possibility of going third party. Why are people so defensive about video game systems is beyond me.
Its just the fact its been beaten to death on this and every forum.

Nintendo should quit because they loose money on the Cube, Nintendo is Sega, blah blah.

Enjoy the fact a great console is $99 and forget about the rest. Nintendo is going to release another console so save the Nintendo is dead stuff at least until that one comes out.
Old 09-23-03, 06:36 PM

Interesting news, good to see a good system for so cheap.
Unfortunatly Nintendo much like Sega has never been that great at the business part of videogames (granted they do a decent job) but they have always think like a game company and not a business. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo go 3rd party two generations down the line and have its only major hardware be the gameboy. Makes business sense but not videogame sense

Anyway this has been beaten to death. I might have to pick up a cube for so cheap.
Old 09-23-03, 06:37 PM

Enjoy the fact a great console is $99 and forget about the rest. Nintendo is going to release another console so save the Nintendo is dead stuff at least until that one comes out.

Old 09-23-03, 06:50 PM

Last time I read, the title of this thread was simply a notice to let people know the Price Drop is confirmed, not whether Nintendo should go strictly Third Party. Whether Nintendo should go Third Party or not is another thread or 50,000. Thanks for the post Draggoon.
Old 09-23-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
One step closer to me being able to say "I told you so... " muahahhahahahahaa....
Old 09-23-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that Nintendo has gone to $99 let's sit back and see what Sony and Microsoft does if anything at all.
Old 09-23-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Senior analyst Billy Pidgeon of the Zelos Group commented on the price drop saying, "If you're going to sell the GameCube for under $149, you're losing money...they're throwing their margin away, basically dumping them."
Gee, I guess that means MS has been 'dumping' the XBOX all along too...

Just remember:

analyst == clueless idiot

Last edited by porieux; 09-23-03 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-23-03, 07:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I find the number of people in this forum who are so eager for Nintendo to fail staggering. Did they kill your family or something?
Old 09-23-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I find the number of people in this forum who are so eager for Nintendo to fail staggering. Did they kill your family or something?
I honestley don't want Nintendo to fail but I just keep saying "Man how many mistakes are these guys gonna make?". I really would like to see Nintendo do well in the console market. But it still seems they are so out of step with the rest of the industry now.
Old 09-23-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes the Nintendo bashers are a funny lot. The "Nintendo should go third party" is also funny. Especially when you consider that Nintendo has sold 9.5 million GC consoles worldwide at a profit, while MS has sold 9.4 million consoles worldwide at a loss since day one. Not to mention the fact that the GC is home to more million selling software than the Xbox.

How this translates into "Nintendo should go third party" is beyond me.
Old 09-23-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
One step closer to me being able to say "I told you so... " muahahhahahahahaa....
Old 09-23-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
I don't want them to fail as a company... I just think it would be better for everyone if they just stopped making their own consoles and started making games for other consoles. I wanna play their games, just not on their hardware and on their terms. They are the debble.

Originally posted by CreatureX
Yes the Nintendo bashers are a funny lot. The "Nintendo should go third party" is also funny. Especially when you consider that Nintendo has sold 9.5 million GC consoles worldwide at a profit, while MS has sold 9.4 million consoles worldwide at a loss since day one. Not to mention the fact that the GC is home to more million selling software than the Xbox.

How this translates into "Nintendo should go third party" is beyond me.
Maybe it's beyond you because that statement is untrue. But anyway, who needs truth and facts when having a passionate discussion about video games... *shrug*
Old 09-23-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe it's beyond you because that statement is untrue. But anyway, who needs truth and facts when having a passionate discussion about video games... *shrug*

Here is where I got my FACTS:

MCV

OS News

Cube, Xbox million sellers

Old 09-23-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
Everyone wants Nintendo to go third-party, but everyone complains about their "kiddie" games. Do you think if they ever were to go third party (which I don't see happening anytime soon) that they will make a different type of game?
Old 09-23-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
So is the Xbox.
Old 09-23-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Funny. The GC has sold more units then Xbox according to recent stories by bloomberg. Why is the GC in such bad shape and not the Xbox? The last time I checked the Xbox was "more powerful" it's go to cost more to produce.

During the N64 era people were saying that Nintendo would go 3rd party in two generations, they arn't.

This is no different. Those that think Nintendo is dead obviously have no concept of reality.

BAH
Old 09-23-03, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Funny. The GC has sold more units then Xbox according to recent stories by bloomberg. Why is the GC in such bad shape and not the Xbox? The last time I checked the Xbox was "more powerful" it's go to cost more to produce.

During the N64 era people were saying that Nintendo would go 3rd party in two generations, they arn't.

This is no different. Those that think Nintendo is dead obviously have no concept of reality.

BAH
Xbots will say this is Microsofts first foray into consoles and they are just trying to gain marketshare. Same argument when you bring up they haven't made a dime on the console but Nintendo has on the GC. The problem is that this *marketshare* they are touting won't grow as much as they expect next generation. The reason for this is because of the software, no Japanese support=no number 1 console. It is amusing seeing them happy about the Nintendo's supposed demise when they have practically no japanese support compared to the other 2 consoles. Japan may not matter as much as it did a few years ago, but you'd be an ignorant fool to count that territory out.

Also why do people still compare Nintendo to Sega? As has been said countless times Sega was in the Red regarding cash, Nintendo is no where near that.

Xbots=fanboys that can't have a intelligent conversation without putting another console down or laughing at it's supposed demise
PS2 and GC has them as well just different names

Last edited by Galanthas; 09-23-03 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-23-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts
And yet another thread dissolves into console bashing
Old 09-23-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm choosing my words carefully here trying to remain objective.

I think part of it stems from people remembering when Nintendo was on the top of the video game heap. So alot of people probably still have those expectations that Nintendo can still pull a rabbit out of it's hat and once again become the major power that it was in the 80's.

Nintendo still dominates the handheld market. And to a large degree Nintendo isn't doing anything "wrong" per se'. They are still doing what Nintendo does best. They are making a quality games only console with a strong lineup of first party games featuring thier stable of characters. Unfortunately that's not where the industry is heading. And the Nintendo characters are no longer the end all and be all of gaming they once were.

Tastes are changing in the game industry. Yes Mario and Donkey Kong are great and they deliver quality games. But that's not what alot of people want to play now. Nintendo being so image conscious is very hesitant to go the "mature" route for fear of tarnishing thier family image. But it's that image that's dragging down Nintendo.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 09-23-03 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-23-03, 11:38 PM

Dont worry, Nintendo will survive

To me, Nintendo is like McDonalds. No, they don't make the best burgers...but they are are an old familiar place that I find myself going back to even though I can get a better meal elsewhere. They have a niche with the young ones, and with young ones come parents. And then there are older ones who keep coming back because they grew up on it. McDonalds is not very profitable these days...but do you think they'll be giving up the burger business any time soon? No way. They go to the dollar menu and do what it takes to survive.
Likewise, Nintendo is a staple and I have no doubt that they will survive in the long run.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.