Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dance Dance Revolution: How good is the basic pad?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was considering getting DDRMax 2 on Wednesday, but not having purchased one of these before, I don't have a pad. How good or bad is the one that you can buy with the game ($20 more than without the pad)? If it's horrible, what is a good pad to buy?
Old 09-22-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its pretty thin and it tend to slides around a lot
Old 09-22-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Try not to get a regular thin soft pad. They will always break eventually (quicker if you are a heavy user). If you're new, then I guess it's ok, but expect to experience some problems down the road (especially if you play on carpet). If you're on a budget then try to modify the pads after you get them and play on a hard floor. They'll last longer with some minor mods.

I just ordered some pads from www.levelsix.com They aren't the greatest, but since they have a hard foam insert they'll last a bit longer. What I've read from other forums and postings is that the best soft pad to get are Red Octane pads. They are very pricey, however. If you want some cheap ones with foam inserts, try E-Bay.

Last edited by Shilex; 09-22-03 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-23-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with any soft pad is that it's too light to stay put while you're jumping around on it. No amount of non-slip surfacing on the bottom is going to stop that.

I own three DDR/PIU pads; modded all of them myself. Works great, if you do it right.

First: Get a regular pad. Virtually all of them are decently responsive. Most will last quite a while, as long as you're not really abusing them (e.g., twisting your feet a lot.)

Second: Go to Home Depot and get a decent-sized piece of plywood. Expect to pay $20 or so; anything cheaper will be too think or light. You need one 36"x36" square for each pad - from one piece of plywood, you can get two full squares with plenty left over. The employees at Home Depot usually have access to a saw, and will cut it to shape if you like. Also recommended: get some sandpaper.

Third: Go to Walmart or K-Mart or someplace similar and get industrial-strength Velcro strips. You'll need at least 140 inches' worth for each pad, but more is better. Also recommended: get a roll of clear packaging tape.

Now, here's what you do.

Make a tic-tac-toe on the bottom of the pad out of the Velcro stripping. You want the strips to lie between each of the buttons on your mat - that way, you can easily feel when you're stepping outside of the buttons. You can also put a strip of Velcro on the outside edges. In my experience, the most important edge parts to secure are the bottom edge and the bottom two corners - those are most likely to pull up during normal usage.

Optional: Sand down the board, if you want a nice smooth surface (not necessary, but it's easier to carry around, and you'll avoid splinters this way.) Also optional: Apply clear tape to the edges and corners of the board; again, this makes it easier to carry.

Now just peel the non-stick paper off of the Velcro strips (the side that faces away from the mat, which will be the side pressed against the plywood.) Line up the mat over the board, and when you're ready, press it all down. Dancing on it for a while also helps secure it.

That's it. Total cost, $35 or so. Only word of advice: Don't store it vertically. The weight of the mat may pull some of the Velcro off the board. Otherwise, the mat should last you for quite a while.

- David Stein
Old 09-23-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
The problem with any soft pad is that it's too light to stay put while you're jumping around on it. No amount of non-slip surfacing on the bottom is going to stop that.

I own three DDR/PIU pads; modded all of them myself. Works great, if you do it right.

First: Get a regular pad. Virtually all of them are decently responsive. Most will last quite a while, as long as you're not really abusing them (e.g., twisting your feet a lot.)

Second: Go to Home Depot and get a decent-sized piece of plywood. Expect to pay $20 or so; anything cheaper will be too think or light. You need one 36"x36" square for each pad - from one piece of plywood, you can get two full squares with plenty left over. The employees at Home Depot usually have access to a saw, and will cut it to shape if you like. Also recommended: get some sandpaper.

Third: Go to Walmart or K-Mart or someplace similar and get industrial-strength Velcro strips. You'll need at least 140 inches' worth for each pad, but more is better. Also recommended: get a roll of clear packaging tape.

Now, here's what you do.

Make a tic-tac-toe on the bottom of the pad out of the Velcro stripping. You want the strips to lie between each of the buttons on your mat - that way, you can easily feel when you're stepping outside of the buttons. You can also put a strip of Velcro on the outside edges. In my experience, the most important edge parts to secure are the bottom edge and the bottom two corners - those are most likely to pull up during normal usage.

Optional: Sand down the board, if you want a nice smooth surface (not necessary, but it's easier to carry around, and you'll avoid splinters this way.) Also optional: Apply clear tape to the edges and corners of the board; again, this makes it easier to carry.

Now just peel the non-stick paper off of the Velcro strips (the side that faces away from the mat, which will be the side pressed against the plywood.) Line up the mat over the board, and when you're ready, press it all down. Dancing on it for a while also helps secure it.

That's it. Total cost, $35 or so. Only word of advice: Don't store it vertically. The weight of the mat may pull some of the Velcro off the board. Otherwise, the mat should last you for quite a while.

- David Stein
I never would have guessed you ventured into Video Game Talk, and on top of that, you answered a question about DDR.
Old 09-23-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by sfsdfd
- David Stein
I would have guessed you to be a DDR guy. , but cool.
Old 09-23-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by quietsoul
I never would have guessed you ventured into Video Game Talk, and on top of that, you answered a question about DDR.
Yeah, I figured it would surprise some people.

During the summer of '02, I was studying for the bar exam while working about fifty hours a week. I was going bonkers. I'd get into work at 9, work 'til 7, grab some fast-food dinner, and study from 8 until 1:00am or so. Weekends, too. It was crazy!

So when you get home at 2:00 in the morning and you're wired from sitting and reading all day, what do you do for exercise/physical outlet? I played DDR. I play a lot of DDR. Now I can do 8- and 9-footers, and sometimes pass a 10-footer.

- David Stein
Old 09-23-03, 10:03 PM

check out
http://www.redoctane.com/ddr.html
Old 09-23-03, 10:14 PM

the konami pad in the DDRMAX 2 bundle coming out is a new pad, doesn't slip as much and has more padding inside or so i read on DDR FREAK
Old 09-24-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the info on "modding" a pad. I ended up ordering one from Level Six after reading about theirs on some other websites (it was only a little more than the "basic" pad that comes with the game). I'd really like to have one of the $300 metal pads from a site I'm not remembering offhand, but that's just a bit much for a "beginner" to spend...

Are the home versions still just using the up, down, left, and right arrows\steps? I've not seen any screenshots using all 8 directions as in the arcade.
Old 09-24-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cartman
Thanks for the info on "modding" a pad. I ended up ordering one from Level Six after reading about theirs on some other websites (it was only a little more than the "basic" pad that comes with the game).
's cool - hope it serves you well.

Modding the pad really is easier than it sounds. You can probably have the whole thing done in, say, two hours tops, if you have a Walmart and Home Depot nearby.

It really is essential for the home DDR experience. When you get to the more difficult stages, with steps where you don't have one foot on the ground at all times, the soft mats slip all over the place. Your pad ends up a foot from where you started! Obviously, it's really impossible to do anything above three-foot songs very well when the arrows keep moving around.
Originally posted by cartman
Are the home versions still just using the up, down, left, and right arrows\steps? I've not seen any screenshots using all 8 directions as in the arcade.
Almost all DDR uses just up/down/left/right.

There's kind of a sub-group of DDR called "DDR Solo" that also uses the up-left and up-right, but not the other two.

Finally, Pump It Up, a copycat series of games that uses American music and videos (and, in the opinion of me and most other people, isn't very good), doesn't use the up/down/left/right arrows at all. It uses all four diagonal arrows, and a center button.

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 09-24-03 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-24-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 172 Posts
I preordered DDRMAX2 to see what the hype was about and also to lose weight. How well does it work in this respect?
Old 09-24-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DDR is one of those games I really thought I'd hate, and I've found that I actually really like. I have yet to buy a real pad for the house, I had a bad experience with the el cheapo foam pads, but I may try again after reading sfsdvd's recommendations.

GatorDeb, playing DDR should work fairly well for losing weight, provided you don't end up like me -- addicted to using the regular controller to play. I know there's a diet (workout) mode, and when my wife and I play it in the arcade we always work up quite a sweat -- and we're lightweight people without a lot of mass to move around. That said, I always seem to notice one person playing DDR that's exceptionally good and yet still quite a bit overweight. I don't know if they were heavier before, or if they have just figured out how to move as minimally as possible and still win the game. But, most people that play the game regularly seem to be thin, but that begs the question, are thin people attracted to the game, or does it really help you lose weight? Personally, as addictive as it is, and as good an areobic workout as you get from it, I'd be surprised if you didn't lose weight playing the game. Again, get a good pad (or follow sfsdvd's instructions for modifying the cheap ones) or you will be very dissatisfied with your gaming experience.

Pump It Up does suck a great deal. I played it at Dave and Buster's the other night, and although I had put enough tokens in for both my wife and I to play simulaneously, we walked away after the first song and let others continue our game. It's not DDR, and it's not fun.
Old 09-24-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by einTier
I may try again after reading sfsdvd's recommendations.
Glad to read it. Really, it's like two hours tops. I give it an hour for getting the materials and an hour (for each pad) for sanding, applying Velcro, and sticking the whole thing together. (And the sanding really isn't necessary.)
I know there's a diet (workout) mode, and when my wife and I play it in the arcade we always work up quite a sweat -- and we're lightweight people without a lot of mass to move around.
It really is good exercise - and it gets better as you improve, because the steps are faster and closer together. I'm 5'8"/155# - obviously, I'm pretty lean - and in relatively good shape. But 20 minutes into a DDR session, I'm usually dripping with sweat and my pulse is at 120 (or higher!) And I usually keep going for another hour and a half. It's really easy to zone out, have fun, and forget all about the aerobic exercise you're getting.
Pump It Up does suck a great deal.
Yeah, my experiences have been the same. I've tried getting into it - I even own a PIU pad for home use - but I just lose interest after a while.

I think the main reason it's not as interesting as DDR is because it doesn't color-code the arrows by note - you have to go by the distance between arrows to determine rhythm. This is a lot harder, and it really limits your ability to get better without repeating the same damn songs over and over...

- David Stein
Old 09-24-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm the same height and weight as sfsdfd and I'm drenched in sweat after about 30 minutes on four and five footers (I go to the gym about four times a week and work out hard- just to give you a general idea of my current physical condition).

When you first start playing it will seem a tad difficult, but don't give up. It will definitely be a good workout as long as you practice first on the easiest songs and slowly move on to quicker and quicker songs. After you get decent, you'll find yourself bouncing along to the songs as you move your feet.

A word of advice, before you start make sure every item in the room is secure and away from you. It's always possible that you might trip, so furniture should be a safe distance away. Also, all the dancing will make anything stacked up (magazines, movies) fall down. I learned that the hard way. It was like an earthquake had hit my room.

eintier, I've noticed that same thing you have. The best DDR dancers I've seen are guys who are a little on the chunky side. It amazes me that they can move so fast at that size. Maybe they do know something we don't

Last edited by Shilex; 09-24-03 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shilex
The best DDR dancers I've seen are guys who are a little on the chunky side. It amazes me that they can move so fast at that size. Maybe they do know something we don't
Honestly, if I had to guess, I'd say that their center of gravity stays centered more easily.

- David Stein
Old 09-25-03, 12:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The soft pads go to hell if you don't mod them, unless you stick to the basic songs. I was playing on carpet and the dang thing slides along like crazy. Plus you'll run into 'bunching' issues. I modded mine late in the game, and now I need a new pad. I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and getting the Red Octane metal pad. Anyone here have one?
Old 08-20-05, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BUMP!

So tonight I finally played DDR. I've seen people play and been curious about the game but I was never able to take the dive and actually play. Tonight I was talked into and had a really good time. I recalled there being several conversations about the pads and I had a question.

Should I even bother playing living in an apartment when some lives below me? I'm no small guy so I'm sure it would make some noise. I swear my friend had the really cheap pads since I'm know he has bought many many pads over the last few years. The ones I looked at online seem to have some padding and I figured they might dampen the sound a bit. I'd love something that would get me moving a bit and help keep me active instead of being in front of the PC or TV all night.

I can live without a pad if I thought I'd really piss off the old lady under me. That just means I'll have to bug my friend a bunch to play one of the 3 pads he has.
Old 08-22-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
BUMP!

So tonight I finally played DDR. I've seen people play and been curious about the game but I was never able to take the dive and actually play. Tonight I was talked into and had a really good time. I recalled there being several conversations about the pads and I had a question.

Should I even bother playing living in an apartment when some lives below me? I'm no small guy so I'm sure it would make some noise. I swear my friend had the really cheap pads since I'm know he has bought many many pads over the last few years. The ones I looked at online seem to have some padding and I figured they might dampen the sound a bit. I'd love something that would get me moving a bit and help keep me active instead of being in front of the PC or TV all night.

I can live without a pad if I thought I'd really piss off the old lady under me. That just means I'll have to bug my friend a bunch to play one of the 3 pads he has.

You should just see if you can borrow one of his and try to play when your neighbors aren't home.....I've heard lots of stories about people losing tons of weight playing this game because it takes your mind off of actually getting a work out. I'm a skinny guy 6 foot 160lbs but I've been really interested in playing these games for a while just to get some excersise. Hopefully something like it will come out for the 360.
Old 08-22-05, 12:05 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
I've heard lots of stories about people losing tons of weight playing this game because it takes your mind off of actually getting a work out.
Yeah, when I get in the "game zone" I can play DDR for hours and not realize it. As soon as I stop I'm totally worn out and my legs are jello, but while playing I somehow don't notice this. This does not happen when I'm on a treadmill or working out in some other way, where I have to force myself to go for "a couple more minutes".
Old 08-22-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the responses. To be honest my legs are the most in shape part of my body since I am on my feet moving at a fast pace all the time while I'm at work so I think they will be the only part that cooperates with me.

It figures that my buddy is going back to college soon and will be taking all his stuff with him. He comes home often but on the weekends when I never have the time to do anything.
Old 08-22-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Thanks for the responses. To be honest my legs are the most in shape part of my body since I am on my feet moving at a fast pace all the time while I'm at work so I think they will be the only part that cooperates with me.

It figures that my buddy is going back to college soon and will be taking all his stuff with him. He comes home often but on the weekends when I never have the time to do anything.
Oh well forget it then just come play halo2 with me and the rest of the guys