Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the most STUPID thing you've ever done while playing video games.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THIS CAN MEAN IN A GAME OR SOMETHING OUT OF A GAME WHILE YOU WERE PLAYING AND WAS A DIRECT RESULT OF PLAYING.

My big stupid moment was when I was playing Balders gate DA and I had logged in over 25 hours into it. I was almost finished with the game if I remember correctly. I was playing one afternoon and my little niece (age 5) came over with her mother and began to watch me play. She wanted to try it and because it's basically a simple hack and slash button mash kind of game, I handed her the controller. I got up to get something to to drink for about a minute and left her playing thinking what harm could she do and plus she was having a ball playing. When I got back, somehow, she had managed to erase my whole saved game file on my memory card. To this day I don't know how she did it. I did replay the whole game because it was alot of fun the first time, but god I was pissed.

What are some of your stories!!!

DARTH
Old 09-17-03, 07:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Several times while playing KOTOR for long periods of time, I'd load an old game, instead of saving overtop the file.

It was more poor design IMO. The Load game option was above the save option, which is lame. How many times do you load a game while playing? Certainly not more than you save. Plus the load screen and save screen looked identical. You get a little message asking if you want to load, but late at night it's easy to just assume that it's the message asking if you want to overwrite the game save.

Still, I felt pretty dumb about the 5th time I did it.
Old 09-17-03, 07:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
[B]Several times while playing KOTOR for long periods of time, I'd load an old game, instead of saving overtop the file.

It's funny that you said that because I did the same thing once while playing.
Old 09-17-03, 07:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
That is exactly why I bought a memory card and back up my 'important' xbox saves.
Old 09-17-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
How many times do you load a game while playing? Certainly not more than you save.

I load all the time. Usually after each conversation. I only had about 60 saves in the game, but used the load far more often.

I never once loaded when I meant to save either.

As for stupid things, I once played a button masher fighting game until it gave me a blister on my thumb.
Old 09-17-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts
Not saving a LONG progress from the last save just before a tough boss
Old 09-17-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Threw both hands in the air, after kicking my daughter's butt in Soul Calibur at the local gamestop. I gave her infinite health, and it took forever to knock her out of the ring.

note: she's 5
Old 09-17-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by goLUCKY
Threw both hands in the air, after kicking my daughter's butt in Soul Calibur at the local gamestop. I gave her infinite health, and it took forever to knock her out of the ring.

note: she's 5
Old 09-17-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Not saving a LONG progress from the last save just before a tough boss
But I thought you always cheated, why would that be a problem?
Old 09-17-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ive stayed up all night playing:

Dr Mario
Tetris
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Old 09-17-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trevor
That is exactly why I bought a memory card and back up my 'important' xbox saves.
Too bad that doesn't work for KOTOR (at least that is my understanding, that the save files are too big for the Memory Card)
Old 09-17-03, 09:30 PM

While playing Zelda WW, with a friend, I point out "hey, your gamecube is on."
Old 09-17-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
This goes back to the good old days of the SNES. My friend let me borrow NCAA Basketball for the weekend. Out of the 4 saved games slot, one of them was saved at a Final Four game. He told me erase any of the slots EXPECT the FF game. So what did I do?

Considering he had to start an entire season over, he took it pretty lightly.

Dean
Old 09-17-03, 09:37 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With my right arm in a cast up to my armpit, I would play Mike Tyson's Punchout for hours on end. The tricky part was that, due to the angle of the cast, I had to lay the NES gamepad flat on a table and 'tap' to play. This was the standard gamepad, mind you, and my forearm had to be pretty much parallel to the gamepad so the whole ordeal was rather uncomfortable. But I still beat Tyson under these circumstances, so I guess it was worth it.
Old 09-17-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PixyJunket
But I thought you always cheated, why would that be a problem?
Who wants to do the same over again? For FFTA I wouldn't mind redoing the whole thing (I went through the Intro three times), but for something like Golden Sun I don't want to re-do areas.

Oh you mean losing to a boss. Sometimes I don't use the Action Replay. For example with FFTA it was a few days until the cheats came out and not saving is the reason I had to re-do areas. Also for games like KOTOR which don't have cheats (#*$#&@ MS )
Old 09-17-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Back in the day my parents refused to buy me a gaming system but occaisonally my mom would rent me an SNES and a game. One weekend I rented the Star Wars game. I got out of the minivan and as I was closing the sliding door my hand slid off the door and got closed in the sliding door. My hand hurt like the devil but I still wanted to play Star Wars so I played the game with one hand resting on a table under a bag of ice, each button press echoing my pain.
Old 09-18-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 415 Likes on 311 Posts
Who wants to do the same over again? For FFTA I wouldn't mind redoing the whole thing (I went through the Intro three times), but for something like Golden Sun I don't want to re-do areas.

Oh you mean losing to a boss. Sometimes I don't use the Action Replay. For example with FFTA it was a few days until the cheats came out and not saving is the reason I had to re-do areas. Also for games like KOTOR which don't have cheats (#*$#&@ MS )
KOTOR isn't that hard. I don't know why you would need cheats. Then again, I am only a quarter of the way through it, so I have no idea.

I never use cheats unless I absolutley cannot pass an area/boss/level etc.....

Or maybe a second play through the game....

I'd never use cheats right off the bat....

Old 09-18-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trying to get through the undercity in KOTOR and gave up. I suck at videogames I'm waiting for cheats to come out eventually. It's an awesome game but too hard for me.
Old 09-18-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I kicked a huge hole in the wall after losing in Street Fighter II Turbo once.
Old 09-18-03, 01:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I killed my sister for beating me at Mortal Kombat.

No, seriously it would be breaking my SNES controllers because of Secret of Mana. Argg.
Old 09-18-03, 03:19 AM

The stupidest thing is trading in or selling my old systems. Lesson learned!
Old 09-18-03, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,908 Likes on 1,172 Posts
Not really putting in the TIME and PATIENCE to finish the Resident Evil games I owned. I think I owe it to myself and whatI consider a game series to do that one day. When i sold my PS1 I kept RE1 so maybe I'll do it.

I love the series, but I've never made it to the end of any of them.

Now Onimusha is a different story
Old 09-18-03, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A few years ago, nostalgia caused me to dig up my old NES to play The Legend of Zelda. After playing for about 5 or 6 hours and getting close to finishing the first quest (beating Gannon the first time), I decided to take a break and save my game. When I turned it back on about an hour later...I found out the battery in the cartridge had long died. Who knew?
Old 09-18-03, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Skipped two full weeks of class missing 2 quizzes and a test because I wanted to play Super Smash Brothers at my fraternity house instead of going to school
Old 09-18-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm trying to get through the undercity in KOTOR and gave up. I suck at videogames I'm waiting for cheats to come out eventually. It's an awesome game but too hard for me.
What difficulty level are you playing on? I played through it dark side and thought it was a total cakewalk. Granted i played a Jedi Guardian and wielded 2 lightsabers but the battle scenes were almost comedic in how i could leap into them and kill everyone before my party even caught up with me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.