Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can we PLEASE stop getting into heated arguments, Pt 2 (merged)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Can we PLEASE stop getting into heated arguments, Pt 2 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 05:37 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we PLEASE stop getting into heated arguments over OPINIONS about video games!!!

Let's try this again, and please no thread craps this time. If you have things to add that you think would help solve this problem/improve this forum please add them.

Can we PLEASE stop getting into heated arguments over OPINIONS about video games!!!!

This used to be a civil place to discuss games, but lately it seems every time someone posts an unfavorable opinion of a game a heated argument bordering on personal attacks and full of rudeness ensues.

We play games to have fun. What's the point of arguing when someone doesn't like the same games as you. Different strokes for different folks.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we can't discuss/debate games here. I'm just saying that it needs to be done respectfully. Games are a silly thing to get pissed off over.

The key is to respect others opionions, and to respectfully disagree with them.

Another important thing is to make sure not state opinions as fact, and not to post opinions abrasively. All that accomplishes is pissing off people that like the game.

Simply say you don't like the game. Don't say it "sucks donkey balls." Or if you must post harshly, post some reasons to back up why you dislike the game so intensely. A simply "______ isn't my cup of tea" doesn't need further explanation to ward off arguments. Saying "____ sucks ass" needs further explanation. That way people can respectfully disagree with your opinion, and offer their counter point of view on the issues you raised, rather than just bashing you for bashing the game. Using "IMO" when posting something harshly helps soften the blow as well. Again, "IMO" isn't needed all the time, just when something would sound like you were rudely stating an opinion as a fact without it.

These are not hard things to do, and will make the forum much more enjoyable in the long run for everyone involved.
Old 09-17-03, 05:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

People all over the world
Join hands
Start a love train, love train
Old 09-17-03, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Can we PLEASE stop getting into heated arguments over OPINIONS about video games!!!

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Simply say you don't like the game. Don't say it "sucks donkey balls." Or if you must post harshly, post some reasons to back up why you dislike the game so intensely. A simply "______ isn't my cup of tea" doesn't need further explanation to ward off arguments. Saying "____ sucks ass" needs further explanation. That way people can respectfully disagree with your opinion, and offer their counter point of view on the issues you raised, rather than just bashing you for bashing the game. Using "IMO" when posting something harshly helps soften the blow as well. Again, "IMO" isn't needed all the time, just when something would sound like you were rudely stating an opinion as a fact without it.
But what if a game really does 'suck donkey balls'? Like, it has been photographed in Tiajuana physically sucking on a pair of donkey testicles. Can we then say the game sucks donkey balls without putting IMO?
Old 09-17-03, 05:49 PM
Retired

Come on guys.

This has been the only decent forum on the net, due to having a more mature membership. As it's grown it's gotten worse. I was hoping it wasn't too late to save it, but from the response so far.

I guess everything on the internet has to deterioriate into lame, immature geekdom.
Old 09-17-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Can we PLEASE stop getting into heated arguments over OPINIONS about video games!!!

This used to be a civil place to discuss games, but lately it seems every time someone posts an unfavorable opinion of a game a heated argument bordering on personal attacks and full of rudeness ensues.
I'm serious about this Josh...when has this forum EVER been civil? Ever since it started it has never been truly civil...my opinion of course...oh wait, that isn't good in this thread, is it?
Old 09-17-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't click on stupid flame topics.... Hopefully, this won't turn into one!
Old 09-17-03, 05:52 PM
Banned

This thread rules! IMO.
Old 09-17-03, 05:55 PM

Okay, Josh if you want constructive criticism here it is. 90% of the bickering in this forum would end immediately if:

1. Josh Hinkle adds Trigger to his ignore list.

2. Trigger adds Josh Hinkle to his ignore list.
Old 09-17-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What do you think of this boards members?

I originally wrote this in reply to Josh's now closed thread, but did not get it in before the lock.

Do not attack specific people, discuss the discussion board.

Josh you bring up good points.

Problem is there are people out there that paid a whole $200-$300 dollars for "their" system. They'll be damned if anyone trys to tell them it's not the best.

People need to recognize there are differences in opinion and that what is right for some people isn't for others. Meaning that just because you own console X does not mean you need to convince everyone else in the frickin world that it is the best; or what is more common, why the other console(s) X suck so badly.

I cam here to discuss the merits of games and hardware themselves based on facts and opinions. As of late all I read is garbage where people post about games from their butts. I swear some people post about games they havn't ever played and maybe never will be.

What's the point of calling them out? Make them look dumb? To get a response that is more educated in what they are saying after they read 5 reviews elsewhere so they can try and incorporate "facts" about the games to make them appear smarter?

Eh, I digress. This board has become a haven of foolish fanboys that simply want everyone to pat them on the back and reaffirm themselves that by owning console X they made the right choice. They don't want to hear about anything else.

And this is why I rarely post here anymore. Some people here are still smart and fair in what they say, but they are becoming the minority.
Old 09-17-03, 05:56 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about Pixyjunket's member.
Old 09-17-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has been the only decent forum on the net, due to having a more mature membership. As it's grown it's gotten worse. I was hoping it wasn't too late to save it, but from the response so far.

I guess everything on the internet has to deterioriate into lame, immature geekdom.
Have you visited any other video game forums lately? Man, they make DVDTalk look like High Tea at Covent Gardens!

Honestly, this forum is the only one worth visiting because it has a distinct lack of XBOX pwns j00!!!! PSPOO is sukekekeke HUGE anime avatars Yu Gi Oh trading cards exchange forum etc...etc...

PS...Pokemon pwns j00!!! IMO
Old 09-17-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pssst... they're having a "do-over" ... one post up!
Old 09-17-03, 06:02 PM
Banned

I think this Evenflow guy is always right on every single topic.
Old 09-17-03, 06:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I closed the other thread for a reason, Josh.

If you see a post that you have a problem with, report it and ignore it. Just like any other forum.

Closing.