Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Problem with Kingdom Hearts

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 837 Likes on 615 Posts
Problem with Kingdom Hearts

I bought the game used off ebay for $30. I had been really looking forward to playing it. I have had alot of homework and long hours in class and I finally got to play it for about 30 minutes on Wednesday. I received it on Monday. I played for about 30 minutes and everything works out good. I went ahead and left positive feedback for the seller after playing it. I played it again today and went further along into the game and in Traverse Town when I try to go to the second district the game freezes the screen goes black and the music keeps playing I reset the game and went to the second district and it freezes and goes black again. Is this a common problem or did I get a crappy disc? I have contacted the seller. I hope I do not have a problem even though I have already left him positive feedback.
Old 09-05-03, 12:30 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you tried cleaning it? I haven't had any problems going through traverse town...
Old 09-05-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I cleaned it with my dvd cleaning cloths and it still freezes up.
Old 09-05-03, 08:30 AM

Is there any large or deep visible scratches on the disc? If not I would suspect it's probably your PS2 starting to give out.

Is your memory card an official one or third party,is it plugged in while your playing the game? Is your controller a third party accessory instead of official?

Last edited by Galanthas; 09-05-03 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-05-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
download the latest drivers and patches.
Old 09-05-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask GizmoDVD for some help, he's the expert on PS2's around here.
Old 09-05-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like Galanthas said, if there are large or deep scratches on either side of the disk, then it could be the disk. If not, it's your PS2.

If it's the PS2, open it up and clean the lens. If it's the disc, you can contact the manufacturer and ask them for a replacement - they'll likely charge you a very small fee (if at all), and you'll have to ship the bad disc to them.
Old 09-05-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The disc looks good there do not appear to be any deep scratches. My controller and memory cards are the official ps2 memory card and controller. I don't think it is my ps2 I have been playing NCAA 2004 and it has been working fine. This is the only problem I have ever had with it. In Kingdom Hearts when I open the door to go to the Second District in Traverse Town the screen goes black and the music keeps playing it did that for around ten minutes so I just shut it off. I think that it is the disc. I e-mailed the seller last night. He hasn't e-mailed me back.
Old 09-05-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's the game as well. I have had my PS2 since launch and it had no problems until I started Midnight Club 2 and the game would lock up unexpectedly at different times. Never had an issue with other games. I didn't have any issues with KH on my PS2 either.
Old 09-05-03, 10:57 AM

My original PS2 had no problems until I inserted GTA:Vice City into it heh. Within 2 days my system wouldnt read any game.
Old 09-05-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That makes no sense.... I can't see why a game would cause your system to crap out since nothing is installed or stored on the system itself beyond memory info on the memory card. The only issue could be if the disc itself was wobbly and misaligned your drive head somehow.
Old 09-05-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,428 Likes on 4,395 Posts
Originally posted by Galanthas
My original PS2 had no problems until I inserted GTA:Vice City into it heh. Within 2 days my system wouldnt read any game.
Unless your PS2 is unexpectedly prudish, I'd guess your system is crapping out. What might work as a good way to check is to try a disc of the other color. Blue discs read with one laser and silver DVD discs read with another. If one type can be read and the other can't, it's a problem with the laser. Call Sony's customer support line and in all likelyhood they'll offer to fix it for free. As far as lwhy's problem, I'd guess it's that version of the game. You could probably call Square's CS line and see if they can help. They might have you send in the game for a replacement. Don't tell them you bought it second hand, though.
Old 09-05-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you know someone else with a PS2 try your game on that system to find out for sure if it is the game. You can then decide what to do from all the suggestions given.

I also heard those Game Doctor thingys work pretty well to resurface the disc.