Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite game developer...and WHY?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought of this from another topic on the forums when talking about Looking Glass and the Thief/System Shock series.

What is your favorite games developer? Valid can be: old and new developers, things like "Bungie pre-Microsoft", long-gone developers, etc. Console, PC, Apple, Amiga.

But you have to say why. Just listing Sonic Team won't cut it. Say Sonic Team because they came out with NiGHTS. Bungie pre-Microsoft because of the Myth series. You get the picture.

I'll post mine later, because I need some time to think about this...

Jeremy
Old 01-10-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rare did the nintendo alot of good.
When I think of my favorite N64 games, they were:
Bond
Perfect Dark
Conkers bad fur day
Old 01-10-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Blizzard.

I love the Warcraft series as well as Starcraft.
Old 01-10-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smilebit

These guys create GOD games. Jet Grind Radio, Thousand Swords, Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie, PANZER DRAGOON ORTA. I want to meet these guys and give them a hug for all the happiness they brought me.

btw.. the first person to say "squaresoft" gets an automatic kick in the ass. we're talking video game developers, not movie studios. pre-1997 squaresoft is not only an acceptable answer, but welcomed.
Old 01-10-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nintendo has always developed fine games. They're 1st/2nd party games are so strong, they make thier systems worth owning even if there are no decent 3rd party titles. They made all the greats. They defined what video gaming was, and should still be.

Super Mario Brothers
Metroid
The Legend of Zelda

These 3 games alone should get these guys top spot in the all-time video game hall of fame. Not to mention that for the most part, all 3 of these series have continued to bring excellence and originality to thier future systems and generations.

Nintendo MADE the console gaming market. There is no argument in that. And they did it with damn fine games, not a billion dollar force-fed marketing blitzkrieg *cough sony cough*.
Old 01-10-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always been a loyal supporter of SEGA, since the Master System days. That means I was the first kid on my block to get a Genesis (packed with Altered Beast, no less), Game Gear, Saturn, and Dreamcast. Even now to their multi-console releases. And I think back to why I've liked them so much and it boils down to one thing:

AM2

Space Harrier, Outrun and Afterburner in the arcades. The Virtual Fighter series (and practically every other Sega fighter out there, including Fighting Vipers, VF Kids, and Fighters MegaMix). The Virtua Cop series. Shenmue I and II on the DC. I'd say they've fallen from grace in the past couple years, but still crank out the best fighter bar none.

That's just one of my favorites, more to come...

Jeremy
Old 01-10-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep!!

SEGA
CAPCOM
BUNGIE
SMILEBIT
Old 01-10-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeremy, what was the name of Sega's company that made the old Wonderboy series? Damn was that a fine series of games. Dragon's Trap on the SMS is probably one of the best games nobody has ever played. Of course it was also ported to the TG16 under a different name, but I can't remember, and nobody played it there either.
Old 01-10-03, 12:56 PM

For me right now it's Sega because of their sports titles. I really appreciate the way they seem to take gamers' wishes to heart without resting on their laurels from year to year.

I just wish they'd make a boxing game........
Old 01-10-03, 12:57 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For me, it's all about "What Have You Done For Me Lately?" and UbiSoft is currently providing the most gaming fun for me.

Last edited by dgc; 01-10-03 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-10-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Jeremy, what was the name of Sega's company that made the old Wonderboy series? Damn was that a fine series of games. Dragon's Trap on the SMS is probably one of the best games nobody has ever played. Of course it was also ported to the TG16 under a different name, but I can't remember, and nobody played it there either.
Could only find the developer listed as "Sega". It was a coin-op game first, so I wonder which of the coin-op divisions worked on it...

Jeremy
Old 01-10-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought of another one. Konami. I used to have hours of fun playing Castlevania and Contra games.

dgc - what games are you playing by Ubi Soft right now?
Old 01-10-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sega - Panzer Dragoon series (esp Saga and Orta), Nights, Virtua Fighters, Daytona 2, Virtual Cop, Virtua Tennis, NHL 2K3, etc

SNK - King of Fighters, Lastblades, Samurai Shodowns, Metal Slugs, Mark of The Wolves, etc

Capcom - Street Fighter 2, Mega Man's, Steel Battalion, Resident Evil, Mars Matrix...

Konami - Metal Gear Solid, Parodius, Gradius/Lifeforce, Snatcher/Policenauts, Double Dribble, Castlevania (esp Dracula X)

Treasure - Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Legend, Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, Alien Solider...

Raizing - Soukyugurentai, Battle Garrega, and other shooters

Working Designs - Lunar 1/2 (I know Gamearts is the original developer but they brought them here so I can understand them!), Elemental Gearbolt, Dragon Force, Iron Storm, etc
Old 01-10-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jrutz
Could only find the developer listed as "Sega". It was a coin-op game first, so I wonder which of the coin-op divisions worked on it...

Jeremy
Westone!! That's it. Really, after the first Wonder Boy game, the series migrated to Monster World games.. but they were all called Wonder Boy something in the US. Monster's Lair, Dragon's Trap, Monster World? (the genesis one).. there was a shooter one that sucked, and another Monster World game that was japan only, but is translated in ROM format online. It really kicks ass.
Old 01-10-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Lastblade
Konami - Parodius

Treasure
OMG! Parodius!! I love that game. I have Chatting Parodius Forever With Me, and Sexy Parodius for the Saturn. Forever With Me is the best one. Sexy kind of sucks.

AND HOW COULD I FORGET TREASURE?!

You all do know that the people from Treasure are the ones responsible for the original Contra and Castlevania, right?
Old 01-10-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
OMG! Parodius!! I love that game. I have Chatting Parodius Forever With Me, and Sexy Parodius for the Saturn. Forever With Me is the best one. Sexy kind of sucks.

AND HOW COULD I FORGET TREASURE?!

You all do know that the people from Treasure are the ones responsible for the original Contra and Castlevania, right?
Well Treasure isn't that well known here, they don't have a publishing house or anything.

I thought Treasure developed Castlevania 4 for the SNES? Not sure about the original original Contra in the arcade, or Castlevania on NES, etc.

I recently got Sexy Parodius, and I really like it!!! Now you tell me Forever with me is better?? Crap, time to ebay i guess!
Old 01-10-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Capcom --- Resident Evil series and others
Old 01-10-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Origin, pre-Ultima Online, specifically Lord British (Richard Garriott) for his Ultima series.

Other Origin games of note: Wing Commander/Privateer, System Shock, and the first first-person-shooter, Ultima Underworld.

Will Wright and Maxis earn mention for their SIM* games, and Sid Meier gets a nod for Civilization and Pirates! (though his overall body of work with MicroProse and Firaxis aren't History-Book-great).
Old 01-10-03, 01:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Blizzard. Not necessarily because of their games, which are great, but because of their free support of online gaming. Battle.net is an amazing service.
Old 01-10-03, 02:02 PM
Banned

Capcom - Streetfighter games
Rare - GoldenEye, Diddy Kong Racing, Jet Force Gemini
Rockstar - GTA 3, GTA Vice City, Max Payne
Old 01-10-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Capcom.
Old 01-10-03, 02:11 PM

Nintendo - everything Zelda!

SEGA - Panzer Dragoon, Daytona, Virtua-everything, Virtual On, Sonic, Ecco the Dolphin.

Capcom - Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo!

Squaresoft - Final Fantasy

Neversoft - Tony Hawk series

Rockstar - GTA series, thanks to recognizing the desires of older gamers.

Psygnosis - They made lots of cool games before becoming 989 studios. Most notable to me was the original Formula 1 for the PSX.

NAMCO!!! - Pacman, Ace Combat series, Galaga
Old 01-10-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Bungie for Myth and Marathon

Blizzard for battle.net
Old 01-10-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Red Storm Entertainment for the Rainbow Six series and Ghost Recon.
Old 01-10-03, 06:43 PM
dgc

Originally posted by DVDChris
dgc - what games are you playing by Ubi Soft right now?
Splinter Cell
Ghost Recon
Rocky

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.