16 year old drops out of school to play Guitar Hero

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
16 year old drops out of school to play Guitar Hero

'Guitar Hero' whiz aiming higher

By Matt Ehlers, Staff WriterComment on this story
It's a small plastic thing, resembling a guitar in basic appearance only.

But Blake Peebles brings energy to the room when he slides the strap over his skinny shoulder and steps atop the wooden box that serves as a stage.

As the music begins, Blake quickly presses buttons on the guitar in time to a speed-metal tune blasting from the giant TV. It is an odd sensation, to watch a young man control the sounds of a rock song with a toy instrument, but this is "Guitar Hero," one of the most popular video game franchises in recent memory. Blake is one of the better players in the country.

Other than his fingers, Blake barely moves while playing. His feet are set in place and his eyes are locked on the screen as he peers through a mop of curly brown hair. Gaming for him is serious business. It's his job.

Among the prizes he's won playing "Guitar Hero" tournaments: gift certificates, gaming equipment and chicken sandwiches.

Blake is 16, resides in North Raleigh and lives to play video games. On this night, he's at the Fox and Hound in Raleigh's North Hills shopping district. It's the restaurant's regular Sunday "Guitar Hero" night, and Blake and his family have come to watch and play. His brother and sister are here, as are his mom and dad, an aunt and an uncle, some cousins and some friends.

But in the end, it's not the people related to Blake who confirm his plastic-guitar prowess. It's the group of 20-somethings sitting at a nearby table, who applaud when Blake finishes playing along to "Through the Fire and Flames," viewed as the game's toughest song.

"It's pretty sick," says Andrew Gambling, 27, who describes himself as a casual player. "He's talented."

Blake is appreciative of the applause and grins shyly when it is mentioned to him. But he's not very happy with his score.

"That's probably the worst I've ever done," he says, which seems impossible. The game moves at warp speed, so Blake's fingers do too.

This is not a competitive environment, so the score hardly matters. But his attitude about it underscores some Peebles family truisms: Blake is so dedicated to gaming that his parents let him quit school so he can better concentrate on it.

They pay for home tutors instead. Mom and Dad do this, even though there are very few people in this country who make their living playing competitive video games.

Blake very much would like to be one of them, but a boy cannot live on chicken sandwiches alone.

Leaving school

Blake is the middle child of Mike and Hunter Peebles. Tucker is 18, an honor-roll student who plays football for North Raleigh Christian Academy. Caramy is 13, a dancer with a congenital disorder that causes developmental disabilities.

Mike and Hunter do not believe in one-size-fits-all parenting.

That is not to say that it was an easy decision for them to let Blake leave school last September. They would have preferred that he stay in high school with his brother. But he bugged them until they let him quit.

"We couldn't take the complaining anymore," says Hunter. "He always told me that he thought school was a waste of time."

Blake never gravitated toward sports or drama or any of the other traditional school-based activities. Just gaming.

So they made a deal. Blake could leave school but would have to be tutored at home. In one respect, the arrangement is similar to what parents of gifted child athletes and actors have done for years.

In another, those careers can bring big money. Competitive gaming is still growing. Major League Gaming, one of the field's top sanctioning bodies, holds tournaments in cities across the country.

The company has more than 125 players signed to management deals. Top players can earn more than $80,000 a year, plus outside sponsorship money, says an MLG spokeswoman. The average pay is in the $20,000 to $30,000 range.

Blake has done well in local tournaments, including one held at a Chick-fil-A that earned him 52 combo meals. By his account, he has lost only once since "Guitar Hero III" was released late last year. Some of that time was spent playing online, against players from all over the world.

This is how he knows he's good. It wasn't that long ago that kids who excelled at some activity, say basketball, would only have to go to the next neighborhood to have their dreams crushed by some older, more accomplished player.

Today, on Xbox 360, players use the system's online component to compare scores with players all over the world. Blake, who goes by the online name "Dreminem," figures that he has top-10 scores on 20 or so of songs on "Guitar Hero III."

He guesses that he's probably one of the top 15 or 20 players in the country.

Blake so far has won about $1,000 in prizes in the months since he began competing in "Guitar Hero." His biggest challenge will come in mid-August, when father and son travel to California for the U.S. regionals of the World Cyber Games. Blake qualified to appear there after performing well online.

If Blakes wins the regional, it's on to the national championship. The best "Guitar Hero III" players there will earn the right to represent the U.S. at the world tournament in Germany.

Blake is happy with his success. Mom and Dad are happy with his grades. Since he's gone to the tutoring arrangement, she hasn't once had to tell him to do his homework, because he does it on his own. They got plenty of grief from family and friends about their decision at first, but they've also watched Blake, who is shy and disliked school, become a happier person.

Set up to play

Inside his upstairs bedroom, Blake's environment is set up specifically to make him a better gamer. There is a PlayStation 2, a Nintendo Wii and an Xbox 360. He also has a stack of plastic guitars, but no real ones. Blake doesn't play an actual guitar, a skill that doesn't really transfer to playing the virtual kind, anyway.

The frame for his bed is on the back porch, with the box springs and mattress on the bedroom floor. That puts his bed at a more comfortable level for sitting to play "Guitar Hero III" for extended periods. At the moment, he plays just a few hours a day, but that number will increase as the California competition nears.

Blake seems happy with his home school arrangement, as you would expect from a teenager who is allowed to stay up into the wee hours to play video games. Sometimes, when Mike heads to the gym before 5 a.m., his son is still playing video games. Blake calls it working "the late shift."

He didn't enjoy school, he says, and especially didn't like the rules associated with attending the Christian academy. Shaggy hair is more his style.

He's good at video games. "I wasn't really good at anything else that I liked."

His "Guitar Hero" skills certainly have impressed the local gaming community.

"He's amazing," says Mike Gibson, the good-natured owner of two local Play N Trade Video Games stores. "I can't have tournaments for that anymore. I might as well just give him the prize."

Blake dreams of making a living playing games, and scoring a contract with Major League Gaming.

But Terry Lindle, aka Terry15, knows how tough it can be to make it. Lindle, 23, lives in Illinois and has been a competitive gamer for about eight years. He won the national championship for "Halo 2" in 2005 and traveled to England earlier this year to compete in a world championship for the game "F.E.A.R."

Lindle came in sixth and won $4,500. He estimates that he has earned about $25,000 in his years of gaming.

"When you want to go somewhere with this gaming stuff, you've got to be in the top 1 percent," he says.

Lindle is impressed that Blake qualified for the tournament in California. But in gaming, coming in third or fourth doesn't mean much.

"You've got to win these major tournaments, otherwise you don't get noticed by advertisers and sponsors."

Lindle believes there's a future to competitive gaming, one in which more people can make more money. He points to Major League Gaming's recent deal with ESPN, which includes live-streaming tournaments on ESPN360.com.

Right now, Blake is concentrating on "Guitar Hero," working to get the "Dreminem" name out there. "Guitar Hero" isn't a big money game on the tournament circuit, as most of the cash goes to the people who play "Halo 3."

Blake is biding his time to the next big thing, so he can get ahead of the curve.

"The next big game that comes out, I'm just going to focus on that one," he says.

And why not? The guy is self-employed. He sets his own hours.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2766/story/1155589.html

When I read the story all i could think about is that south park episode
Old 08-17-08, 10:59 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly

Blake Peebles in 10 years
Old 08-17-08, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Sad.
Old 08-17-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Sad.
...and pathetic.
Old 08-17-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To show how sad and pathetic it is, he said he earned $1,000 in the months he's been playing.

Let's say he won it all in 2 months instead of 3 or 4.

That's only $125 a week. wtf. I can't do shit with $125 a week.

He can double that with say... a minimum wage job.
Old 08-17-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worst parents ever.
Old 08-17-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Worst parents ever.
I don' think they are the worst parents ever, the kid is in school and doing better, maybe he wont shoot up the school or kill his parents or neighbors.

"Blake is happy with his success. Mom and Dad are happy with his grades. Since he's gone to the tutoring arrangement, she hasn't once had to tell him to do his homework, because he does it on his own. They got plenty of grief from family and friends about their decision at first, but they've also watched Blake, who is shy and disliked school, become a happier person."
Old 08-17-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Eh, about as big of a waste of time as playing professional sports, and people drop out of school to do that all the time.
Old 08-17-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
This looks familiar, weren't we talking about this a week ago or so.
Old 08-17-08, 08:30 PM
Banned

Lindle, 23, lives in Illinois and has been a competitive gamer for about eight years....
He estimates that he has earned about $25,000 in his years of gaming.
$25,000 total over an 8 year period? Are you kidding me? That's barely $3,000 per year.

And people like this expect to make a career of being a "professional gamer"?

They could make four or five times as much flipping burgers at McDonalds.
Old 08-17-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What a waste...
Old 08-17-08, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by bwvanh114
To show how sad and pathetic it is, he said he earned $1,000 in the months he's been playing.

Let's say he won it all in 2 months instead of 3 or 4.

That's only $125 a week. wtf. I can't do shit with $125 a week.

He can double that with say... a minimum wage job.
Obviously you missed the part concerning getting free chicken sandwiches.
Old 08-18-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Krelyan
Obviously you missed the part concerning getting free chicken sandwiches.

Those must be some kick ass chicken sandwiches.
Old 08-18-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not going to say that they're bad parents since he is technically still in school and is doing better than before but how far does this kid really think he can take his Guitar Hero abilities? Who would hire him to be a professional gamer once the Guitar Hero fad wears off? This kid is destined for a long life of loserdom. At least the guys that blow off school to try to be a professional athlete have generally good stories to tell about their lives when they played. All this dude will have is lots of stories of getting the high score on Freebird all while having no sex whatsoever.
Old 08-18-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Worst parents ever.
Best parents ever. They got him tutors so he is still getting his education and they are allowing him to compete in something he loves.
Old 08-18-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No great loss. Any 16 year old that would drop out of school to pursue a career in Guitar Hero-ing was probably not destined for scholastic greatness anyway.
Old 08-18-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Son constantly complains that he doesn't like school so his parents let him drop out at 16? What happened to the days when you just had to suck it up if you didn't like it?

And I know this won't be the most popular sentiment around these parts (this is a video game forum after all), but I also find it sad that someone so obsessed with Guitar Hero wouldn't pick up a real guitar to find out what the real thing is like. I do think we're going to have a generation who believe they are "musicians" because they can play a fake plastic guitar on a video game. I'm not saying that's any of you around here, but I just know it's headed that way.
Old 08-18-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
He's said on scorehero after the story came out that he actually doesn't play GH that much anymore and plans on going back to school next year. He still wants to be a professional gamer though.
Old 08-18-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
Son constantly complains that he doesn't like school so his parents let him drop out at 16? What happened to the days when you just had to suck it up if you didn't like it?

And I know this won't be the most popular sentiment around these parts (this is a video game forum after all), but I also find it sad that someone so obsessed with Guitar Hero wouldn't pick up a real guitar to find out what the real thing is like. I do think we're going to have a generation who believe they are "musicians" because they can play a fake plastic guitar on a video game. I'm not saying that's any of you around here, but I just know it's headed that way.
Same way that people who are good at Madden probably don't think they are ready for the NFL. I don't see why Guitar Hero is any different.

You could say that about any game. Put down Madden, go pick up a football. Put down Call of Duty, go enlist in the Army. Video games are escapism and wish fulfillment.

People seem to think that today's kids can't see the difference. I don't know where that comes from.
Old 08-18-08, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
Eh, about as big of a waste of time as playing professional sports, and people drop out of school to do that all the time.
Since the point of school is set the stage to make a living, seeing what the #1 ranked amateur athlete could expect to earn in any of the top sports leagues versus what the #1 Guitar Hero player could expect to earn makes this...

The worst comparison ever.
Old 08-19-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same way that people who are good at Madden probably don't think they are ready for the NFL. I don't see why Guitar Hero is any different.

You could say that about any game. Put down Madden, go pick up a football. Put down Call of Duty, go enlist in the Army. Video games are escapism and wish fulfillment.

People seem to think that today's kids can't see the difference. I don't know where that comes from.
Uh, unless you're playing Guitar Hero with your controller then how could you not see the difference? I don't play Call of Duty 4 with a wireless electronic rifle (that would be cool though).

Yeah, it's escapism, the same way a real guitar is escapism. So, yes, I support the argument that there will be a whole generation of kids that don't know how to play the guitar.
Old 08-19-08, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rabbit77
He's said on scorehero after the story came out that he actually doesn't play GH that much anymore and plans on going back to school next year. He still wants to be a professional gamer though.
Wow that's some dedication....
Old 08-19-08, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
He didn't enjoy school, he says, and especially didn't like the rules associated with attending the Christian academy. Shaggy hair is more his style.
Welcome to life buddy. Does he honestly think anyone enjoys school? There are so many things wrong with this story it's just unbelievable.
Old 08-19-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh, unless you're playing Guitar Hero with your controller then how could you not see the difference? I don't play Call of Duty 4 with a wireless electronic rifle (that would be cool though).
Eh, you play it with a controller that has triggers. Not really that different.

All I'm saying is that for as long as video games have been around, people have been able to do things virtually they couldn't do in reality. But when it comes to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, all of a sudden people think that that kids can't tell the difference between real and imaginary. I am pretty good at these games but I have absolutely no delusions about being able to actually play the guitar. I don't think a lot of people can't see that difference.
Old 08-19-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Eh, you play it with a controller that has triggers. Not really that different.

All I'm saying is that for as long as video games have been around, people have been able to do things virtually they couldn't do in reality. But when it comes to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, all of a sudden people think that that kids can't tell the difference between real and imaginary. I am pretty good at these games but I have absolutely no delusions about being able to actually play the guitar. I don't think a lot of people can't see that difference.
OK, well, I guess I at least partly base my comments on things that I have actually heard people say. I've listened to a couple of people in their 20s, not even teenyboppers, extol the virtues of Guitar Hero by saying that he read an article that some band's lead guitar player can't finish whatever song on Guitar Hero on the hardest setting. What me and my friend pointed out to them, that they didn't seem to want to compute, is that this same guitar player could actually pick up a real guitar and play the song.

I'm certainly not saying that we are going to have a mass delusion, but as someone else said, with COD you're not using a plastic gun. There's a further step from reality. Hell, I know after playing Wii Sports a bunch I started to imagine that maybe I could bowl in reality better.

Using an actual physical guitar, no matter how toy-like it might be, and drums gives it a feeling of realism that you can't get using a regular controller. And maybe you don't see that trend coming, but I've heard people say things that make me think otherwise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.