TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Oh no - here we go... Whedon shoots new "prequel" episode for Dollhouse

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh no - here we go... Whedon shoots new "prequel" episode for Dollhouse

http://www.tv.com/story/11508.html?t...m_clk=gumballs

Whedon shakes up the order of his midseason Fox series Dollhouse by shooting a new "prequel" episode to serve as the show's pilot.

"I know a way to satisfy everyone."
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter)--Ever since Fox canceled Joss Whedon's 2002 series Firefly, fans have groused that the network sabotaged the show's chances by airing its episodes out of sequence.

Now Whedon himself is shaking up the order of his midseason Fox series Dollhouse.

The creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is shooting a new "prequel" episode to serve as the show's pilot. Whedon said that he opted to craft a new introduction to the series after meeting with Fox executives, who expressed concerns about the accessibility of the first episode.

"When we talked to the network I got a sense of hesitation about what we had, and I understood why," Whedon said Tuesday on the Dollhouse set. "There's a concern about the audience coming into this world. I respect their need to draw in an audience and present this a certain way."

Whedon acknowledged that there are similarities to the "Firefly" experience.

"That's why I hit myself on the head for this," Whedon said. "Having been through this, I should know I need to deliver a way to get into a story. These are not stupid people (at the network), and I decided I needed to make a preemptive strike. I wasn't going to entrench around my art; television is a fluid process. So I said that I know a way to satisfy everyone."

Whedon said that the new first episode will allow him to select from previously shot footage to figure out "the most iconic way from what we had to introduce each character."

Added star Eliza Dushku, "And I didn't get to wear my leather pants in the pilot, so that was a deal-breaker."

In Dollhouse, a group of people are programmed with various abilities and personalities and rented out for assignments to high-paying clients. They are kept stored in an underground compound that resembles a Zen-like spa. One of the Dolls, Echo (Dushku), gradually begins to become self-aware.

"I wanted everybody to feel like Echo is in this terrible situation, slash, 'Can somebody wipe my memory and feed me and put me in a wonderful spa and give me massages too?'" Whedon said of the elaborate set.

The tone of each episode, he added, will shift based on the Dolls' assignment, a tactic that some might consider risky.

"Every time I'm here, I worry that this show is the big mess, that this is the time I will fail," he said. "At the same time you learn to let go of that or not one word you will write."
What can I say? Should we be surprised?
Old 07-25-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Well, It's better that Joss works out the kinks now than later. He's got alot of time to make this show work.

But, I'm surprised that FOX green lighted this to series after seeing a pilot that they now think doesn't make sense
Old 07-25-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I already put this in the Dollhouse thread 2 days ago!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=516007&page=4
Old 07-25-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Superman07
I already put this in the Dollhouse thread 2 days ago!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=516007&page=4
Sorry. Didn't see it. Certainly merits its own thread (since nothing new was posted in "Joss Whedon's Got A New Show" since mid-May). It doesn't cost anything to post new info into its own thread, does it? Again apologies.
Old 07-25-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There can never be enough Joss Whedon threads.

Never.
Old 07-25-08, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given what happened with Firefly, I'm glad HE is taking control of the situation.
Old 07-26-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What happened with Firefly?
Old 07-26-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ayre
What happened with Firefly?
Did you read the first paragraph of the story in the first post?
Old 07-27-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, was being sarcastic.

What happened to Firefly and what fans think happened to Firefly are two different things.

There is this overall assumption that Fox ruined any chance of Firefly being successful. If it was to comeback today, it still wouldn't be successful. It was a niche show that belonged on basic cable.