Reload this Page >

All store exclusives and freebies - 7/27/08 to 8/03/08

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 07-25-08, 08:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

These weekly threads are for the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Thursday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Hot Topic, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; We'd appreciate any updates you could give us.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals
tons of free movie deals at various retailers, see the above linked thread for full details

Best Buy -
Harold & Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay - three mini posters
several double feature sci-fi titles are BB only for a few months, see below post for details

Target -
Never Back Down 2 Disc Edition - bonus third DVD (see below post for details)

Circuit City -
I searched and found nothing new

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -

K-Mart/Sears - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Barnes and Noble -

Borders -

Costco -

GameStop / MovieStop - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Blockbuster - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hot Topic - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Toys-R-Us -

The Disney Store - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives -
Best Buy - Harold & Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay - t-shirt

Last edited by Trevor; 08-03-08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-25-08, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In speedy's BestBuy thread, Harold & Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay will have Three Mini Posters.. Not sure if it's for the 1 or 2 disc or both..

Bestbuy Canada will have "What would NPH do?" tshirt with Harold & Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay 2 disc edition..

Later
Old 07-27-08, 09:42 PM

The Best Buy "H&K" mini posters are for both the single and 2 disc sets. Plus you can even get them on their own for $3.99 with free shipping.

Just an early FYI, FYE will be carrying a steelbook for the September release of "Iron Man". Preordered mine today. Also Best Buy will be carrying a gift set for "Iron Man" as well. Looks like the same exclusive they had for "300" with the helmet/mask.
Old 07-29-08, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by taco5
The Best Buy "H&K" mini posters are for both the single and 2 disc sets. Plus you can even get them on their own for $3.99 with free shipping.

Just an early FYI, FYE will be carrying a steelbook for the September release of "Iron Man". Preordered mine today. Also Best Buy will be carrying a gift set for "Iron Man" as well. Looks like the same exclusive they had for "300" with the helmet/mask.
You mean this:

They will also have the Alien skull for Indiana Jones 4:
Old 07-29-08, 06:46 AM

^Yep
Old 07-30-08, 05:55 PM

Any info on the Never Back Down bonus disc at Target? Is the 2nd disc just a digital download?
Later
Old 07-30-08, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by johnsun
Any info on the Never Back Down bonus disc at Target? Is the 2nd disc just a digital download?
Later

Never Back Down: 3 Disc Target Exclusive Edition:

Disc 1

*FORCED TRAILER: Twilight(2008)
*BEAT DOWN EDITION Anamorphic 2.40:1 113 min.
*AUDIO COMMENTARY by Director Jeff Wadlow, Actor Sean Faris and Writter Chris Hauty.
*ORIGINAL THATRICAL VERSION OF THE FILM Anamorphic 2.40:1 113 min.
*DELETED SCENES with Introduction by the Director.
*PROMO REEL

Disc 2

*MIX IT UP: Bringing MMA to the Big Screen.
*BLOW BY BLOW: Breaking Down The Fights.
*STAR POWER: Djimon In Training.
*THE THRILL OF THE FIGHT: Choreographing MMA.
*TRAINING THE CAST.

Disc 3

*MMA Kicking Techniques with Cam Cigandet.
*MMA Takedown Moves with Cam Cigandet.
*MMA Submission Moves with Cam Cigandet.
*MMA Reversal Moves with Cam Cigandet.
*MMA Takedown Moves with Sean Faris.
*MMA Reversal Moves with Sean Faris.
*MMA Strengh Training with Sean Faris.
*MMA Speed Training with Sean Faris.
*MMA Advanced Takedowns Moves with Djimon Hounsu.
*MMA Advanced Reversals Moves with Djimon Hounsu.
*MMA Strengh And Conditioning with Djimon Hounsu.
*Diet and Fight Preparation with Djimon Hounsu.

No digtal copy.
Old 07-31-08, 07:25 AM

8 chains hit, updates made.
Old 07-31-08, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by taco5
I don't know if it's YMMV, but the posters were in the comedy section at my closest US Bestbuy with a hand written sign that said free, take one.. I grabbed a couple for the heck of it..
Later
Old 07-31-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know if you count this sort of thing on your lists, but Best Buy has three exclusive double-feature titles that came out on Tuesday:
WORLD WITHOUT END/SATELLITE IN THE SKY
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH/MOON ZERO TWO
BATTLE BENEATH THE EARTH/THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/features/scifibestbuywb.htm
Old 07-31-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Don't know if you count this sort of thing on your lists, but Best Buy has three exclusive double-feature titles that came out on Tuesday:
WORLD WITHOUT END/SATELLITE IN THE SKY
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH/MOON ZERO TWO
BATTLE BENEATH THE EARTH/THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR

i would think yes
Old 08-03-08, 10:05 AM

I bought one of those sci-fi temporary exclusives at random, luckily I picked the one that is being recalled.

This week's thread started.
Old 08-03-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I bought one of those sci-fi temporary exclusives at random, luckily I picked the one that is being recalled.

Which one is being recalled? Thx!
Old 08-03-08, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by snausages
Which one is being recalled? Thx!
The one with Dinosaurs in the title. Here's the thread here on it.
Old 08-03-08, 10:53 AM

Hi. When you mean "temporary exclusives", are they going to be released at other retailers at a later date?
Thanks
Old 08-03-08, 10:57 AM

Hi. When you mean "temporary exclusives", are they going to be released at other retailers at a later date?
Thanks
Yes. This happens quite often. A certain retailer will get temporary exclusivity for a title, then 6 or 12 months later (whatever the contract says, sales figures dictate, publisher plans, etc) it will show up at other or all places.

Amazon has had some, Borders, Best Buy, .....
Old 08-03-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one with Dinosaurs in the title. Here's the thread here on it.
Thanks for the info Trevor! And all your work with the weekly exclusives & freebies thread! Greatly appreciate it!
Old 08-03-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i dont know exactly whats what, and i dont believe anyone else has definitive answers yet re the bestbuy exclusive sci-fi volumes. just wanted to state that as of now, news of a recall has yet to be confirmed from multiple sources and there has not yet been any news that these 3 dvds will ever be sold elsewhere.

thems just the facts maam
Old 08-03-08, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by hindolio
i dont know exactly whats what, and i dont believe anyone else has definitive answers yet re the bestbuy exclusive sci-fi volumes. just wanted to state that as of now, news of a recall has yet to be confirmed from multiple sources and there has not yet been any news that these 3 dvds will ever be sold elsewhere.

thems just the facts maam
Just curious, how did these 3 movies start out as Bestbuy exclusives? Where they posted in an ad or website somewhere? Is there any indicidation on the packaging like a sticker indicating it? Or just the fact it's not available anywhere else yet?
Thanks

Last edited by johnsun; 08-03-08 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 09:23 AM

Even if it hasn't been specifically said yet, I'm positive that those three titles will end up at other retailers. Nothing on the packaging mentions Best Buy. If they were indeed BB exclusive forever, they would definitely put that on the packaging somewhere.

The started that way because certain retailers will sometimes pay certain distributors/publishers for the right to be "the only game in town". Except for promo discs, those exclusive deals have always been short-term deals. Always possible for a first I guess, but I can't imagine it happening here. At some point, probably 6 -12 months, those 3 titles will be available on the distributor website at a minimum.

Just going from experience of course, I'm no expert or have no inside information, so I could be wrong.
Old 08-04-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just curious, how did these 3 movies start out as Bestbuy exclusives? Where they posted in an ad or website somewhere? Is there any indicidation on the packaging like a sticker indicating it? Or just the fact it's not available anywhere else yet?
Thanks
info + lack of info here:

trevor is right in that there is nothing on the dvds indicating anything is exclusive, which is fairly rare nowadays lol. but from what ive seen and read, no one knows the complete story as of yet.

Last edited by hindolio; 08-04-08 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And it's also correct that I've seen no 'official'/confirmed news of a recall. Once someone in authority notices the incorrect G rating (either at Best Buy, Warner, or the MPAA), there's going to HAVE to be a recall of some sort. But in the meantime, it just seems to be a lot of talk about 'the guy at my BB said....'.

It's still listed (backordered, like the other 2) on the web site. And it's still in stock in 5 out of 6 of my local stores. To my knowledge, there hasn't been any sort of recall on this as of yet. But, again, once someone actually is informed of an incorrect rating on the packaging, they're going to need to do one.