Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dammit now everyone knows . . .
Old 02-20-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bretski
I was at Costco today and saw D3s (A3 equivalent including HDMI cable) for $79.99.
Does anyone know if Sam's Club has lowered the D3 price to $79.99 as well?

Since they are such good upconverting DVD players, I'd be tempted to get a D3 (or A3) for that price as a backup for my HD-A2. Unfortunately I couldn't use the Toshiba 5 free HD DVD deal again, and it's questionable whether some people will get theirs with the HD-DVD inventory being depleted.

My concern with buying any more HD-DVDs is what happens when my current HD-DVD player dies? It won't last forever. Since Toshiba said they will stop making them and I assume nobody else will start making them (I don't count the Xbox 360 add-on), if you have a large HD-DVD collection you'd be forced to buy a used HD-DVD player off eBay or pay $100+ to get it repaired, so I figure even if there is a fire sale on HD-DVDs they may not be worth buying because the cost of finding a replacement HD-DVD player may be too high. If I knew there would be reasonably priced HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo players, I'd buy more HD-DVDs, but I can't imagine any companies will make combo players if Toshiba won't sell the HD-DVD license to others and too few people own HD-DVD.
Old 02-20-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A reminder for anyone that has AMEX points and wants to get in on the A35 from Tiger Direct. You can purchase it from shopamex.com with points for $169, but the 2 free offer isn't displaying in the catalog. You'll need about 36,400 points to cover the purchase, but you can pay the differential if you have less. I just did it and it worked great.
Old 02-20-08, 06:28 PM

I bought Hot Fuzz and Breach HD-DVD for $10 each at Best Buy a couple weeks ago. I'm still debating whether I should return them unopened even though they're combo DVDs and I could still play the SD side if my HD-DVD player broke.

Also, regarding the talk about Borders returns without receipt... after Christmas 2006 I was able to get store credit for about 10 out of 12 unopened SD-DVDs I didn't want for Christmas. I tried the same thing after Christmas 2007 and they only took back 2 out of 12 saying the others had already disappeared out of their inventory. The same "no longer carried" issue happens with Best Buy and Walmart, so even though several stores have said they are occasionally willing to take back unopened DVDs without receipts for store credit (especially around Christmas time), the reality now is that they will only take back very recent DVDs because stores keep such a limited inventory of what's available and don't want to be stuck with stuff they don't already carry. For all intents and purposes, I now consider the days of "DVD returns without receipts" over. I ended up having to send my unwanted DVDs back to the givers after Christmas or trading them in used.
Old 02-20-08, 06:58 PM

just ordered a bunch from ddd. MOST were currently out of stock, expected 1st march. hopefully they arrive at all
Old 02-20-08, 07:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Originally Posted by johnglass
We're famous! No mention of penitration though.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=206800876

HI MOM!!!
Old 02-20-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by steelpotato
just ordered a bunch from ddd. MOST were currently out of stock, expected 1st march. hopefully they arrive at all
I'm waiting for Amazon to respond.
Old 02-20-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
I have a woody for the A35 I think I am going to bite. I don't want to wait too long and have these things gone.
Old 02-20-08, 08:05 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
My concern with buying any more HD-DVDs is what happens when my current HD-DVD player dies? It won't last forever. Since Toshiba said they will stop making them and I assume nobody else will start making them (I don't count the Xbox 360 add-on), if you have a large HD-DVD collection you'd be forced to buy a used HD-DVD player off eBay or pay $100+ to get it repaired, so I figure even if there is a fire sale on HD-DVDs they may not be worth buying because the cost of finding a replacement HD-DVD player may be too high. If I knew there would be reasonably priced HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo players, I'd buy more HD-DVDs, but I can't imagine any companies will make combo players if Toshiba won't sell the HD-DVD license to others and too few people own HD-DVD.[/QUOTE]

LG said they were continuing to develop combo players with hd dvd citing the need in the future for players that would play both for people with large collections.
Old 02-20-08, 08:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Its not like there are only 15 players in existence.
Old 02-20-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by g
LG said they were continuing to develop combo players with hd dvd citing the need in the future for players that would play both for people with large collections.
And LARGE wallets.
Old 02-20-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by g
My concern with buying any more HD-DVDs is what happens when my current HD-DVD player dies?
That's why they call it a fire sale, so you can purchase as many players as you can.

I own the A2 and I plan on picking up the 360 add-on once that price drop hits $50.

Hell, if the A35 goes under $150, I might be fair game as well.
Old 02-20-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Manzana
My concern with buying any more HD-DVDs is what happens when my current HD-DVD player dies?
If my laserdisc player died tomorrow, I would be able to pick up another one on ebay or elsewhere with not too much trouble or expense, and when was the last laserdisc player manufactured? I'm fairly certain that I'd be able to do the same if both of my HD DVD players died sometime in the future.
Old 02-20-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought Hot Fuzz and Breach HD-DVD for $10 each at Best Buy a couple weeks ago. I'm still debating whether I should return them unopened even though they're combo DVDs and I could still play the SD side if my HD-DVD player broke.

Also, regarding the talk about Borders returns without receipt... after Christmas 2006 I was able to get store credit for about 10 out of 12 unopened SD-DVDs I didn't want for Christmas. I tried the same thing after Christmas 2007 and they only took back 2 out of 12 saying the others had already disappeared out of their inventory. The same "no longer carried" issue happens with Best Buy and Walmart, so even though several stores have said they are occasionally willing to take back unopened DVDs without receipts for store credit (especially around Christmas time), the reality now is that they will only take back very recent DVDs because stores keep such a limited inventory of what's available and don't want to be stuck with stuff they don't already carry. For all intents and purposes, I now consider the days of "DVD returns without receipts" over. I ended up having to send my unwanted DVDs back to the givers after Christmas or trading them in used.
Not true, they just had a sign that said " Return for everyone except Manzana" sign posted. Onje of these days, luck will finally fall on your side, buddy.
Old 02-20-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Its not like there are only 15 players in existence.
Well, the numbers make me wonder.
Old 02-20-08, 09:15 PM

My concern with buying any more HD-DVDs is what happens when my current HD-DVD player dies? It won't last forever.
You make a good point and I may start looking into buying a 2nd HD DVD player as well, but I've speculated publicly in the past that an eventual update to the Blu-ray spec may include some kind of HD DVD support much in the same way that SA-CD players today probably also play DVD-A as well. It may be a while, but I expect that players - particularly for PCs - will eventually cover all formats (just check out all the formats that your current DVD-ROM drive plays).

Raul
Old 02-20-08, 10:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, I've confirmed through the people I know at Gamestop that the 360 add-on is dropping to $50. They didn't mention if that was just Gamestop's price, or if it's going to be a directive from Microsoft, but it jives with the rumor we heard earlier, so I'm going to assume we'll see it for $50 everywhere very soon.

Also, Amazon is now listing the Tiger Direct deal for the A35 as their primary price. I got all excited and thought Amazon had decided to match TD, but I noticed it said "Sold through Tiger Direct" and lower down on the page had a link to the "Sold through Amazon.com" with the $229 price. Just letting you guys know because Amazon won't do price guarantees for items sold through other vendors. Tiger Direct will do a single price match if they don't run out of stock and the price goes down, whereas if you buy it through Amazon they'll give you back the difference no matter how many times the price goes down in 30 days.

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-20-08 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by sacarmic
Discover Channel's ebay store has quite a few copies of Planet Earth in HD-DVD listed for a buy-it-now of $29.99. THe ebay page states the shipping is $7.95, but when I checked out, you could get the media mail rate for $3.25. Pretty good deal if you already have an HD-DVD player and want to build you library.
I know it's eBay, but I thought it was relevant since it is the Discovery Channels store. Delete if not approproate. I found in the Bargain forum just now.
Old 02-20-08, 10:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice find. I'll be picking that up, as my last copy of Planet Earth was scratched and I never got around to replacing it.
Old 02-20-08, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ok, I've confirmed through the people I know at Gamestop that the 360 add-on is dropping to $50. They didn't mention if that was just Gamestop's price, or if it's going to be a directive from Microsoft, but it jives with the rumor we heard earlier, so I'm going to assume we'll see it for $50 everywhere very soon.
For $50 I'd probably grab one...Ugh. I shouldn't. But I know I will. WTF is wrong with me?!?!

I imagine if its $50 across the board I should be able to nab a cheap one off Craigslist.
Old 02-20-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
At $50, I might as well pick up another one. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-20-08, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Borders takes in stuff with no questions? What if I bring in my 5 free HD DVDs....although that wouldn't help towards getting more HD DVDs since apparently they stopped carrying them.
Had my girlfriend return another 2 HD DVDs at Borders for $65 in store credit.
So, in reality, I got an A30 with 6 movies and 5 more by mail for $15 (after returning 4 sealed ones to Borders). Sick.
Old 02-20-08, 10:50 PM

hmm... used copies of King Kong on eBay may hit rock bottom... that'd be nice
Old 02-20-08, 11:08 PM

Please donate your HD-DVDS coasters to me! I'll pay for shipping!
mod note: we're watching you. -namja

Last edited by namja; 02-21-08 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I know it's eBay, but I thought it was relevant since it is the Discovery Channels store. Delete if not approproate. I found in the Bargain forum just now.
Wouldn't that be the inferior US version though?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.