Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anybody recommends Gamefly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody recommends Gamefly?

I'm thinking of trying out the Gamefly service. Anybody recommends them? How is their shipping time? Do the popular and recently released games ship to your home fast? Any problems whatever?

I've been hearing some positives and negative reviews about them. I'm kinda on the fence now so I want to hear all types of reviews before I make a decision. I appreciate any type of feedback. Thanks!
Old 01-21-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
It's worth trying out to form an opinion yourself. I dumped them in December after 6 months. My reasons:

- slow shipping: It was frequently a 6-7 day turnaround. I ship back, took 3 days. Another day to process and then another 3-4 to get my next game. I got the "fast return" maybe twice in six months.

- $15 for one out is asinine, especially coupled with the abysmal shipping.
Old 01-21-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Shipping has been slow for me but I do two out ($24) and don't mind it. Mostly because it costs $8.50 to rent a game here for 5 days, so for the cost of 3 games I get a better variable and can keep them until I finish them.
Old 01-21-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would have games returned about 3 days after I shipped them out, and would get a new game about 9 days after that. It's ok, but I can't recommend it due to the ridiculous shipping times.
Old 01-21-08, 12:55 PM

I just started on GameFly and am taken aback by the shipping times, especially compared to NetFlix (2-3 days).

Are any of the other services out there better? RedOctane? GamezNFlix? Anybody use these or any others?
Old 01-21-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

According to reactions at CAG, GamesNFlix is probably 10x worse than Gamefly on shipping. Assuming they ship you a game at all.
Old 01-21-08, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
According to reactions at CAG, GamesNFlix is probably 10x worse than Gamefly on shipping. Assuming they ship you a game at all.

exactly exactly exactly exactly!

Hey Curse, you may want to read my thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=522356
Old 01-21-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been using em the past 2 years and have no complaints. Once in awhile it will take a little longer than usual to get a game, but its no big deal. The best advice I can give is to try out mailing the games back in different mail boxes until you can find one that does fast return all the time. I was mailing them back from various post offices around my house and eventually mailed a couple in some boxes across the street from my local post office. Every single game I mail now gets "fast return" in 2 days after I mail it and my next game is mailed that day or the day after. If you're not having luck with fast return, try some different mail boxes until you find one that works for you.
Old 01-21-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I signed up for Gamefly this morning, and will give my reviews of the service withen this thread.

They claim to have already shipped two games (note that all the games will be 360 games - for full disclosure I also own a wii - barely touch it, and will soon be buying a ps3). The two games they sent were Gun and Mass Effect, two games that I don't believe were anywhere near the top of my list, I should have posted the list earlier, but really didn't think they would send out anything today (netflix wouldn't have). Also, please note when looking at the list, that at least half the games on there are there because I am in a silly bragging-rights gamerpoints contest with a friend.

Here is my list as it stands with the availability to the right, and I will not be re-arranging the order until my review of their service is ready:

1) Turok - releases 2/8
2) Lost - releases 2/28
3) NBA 2k6 - low
4) 2006 Fifa World cup - high
5) Lord of the Rings: the battle for middle earth II - high
6) Call of Duty 2 - medium
7) Call of Duty 3 - high
8) Avatar - medium
9) Half-Life 2: The orange box - high
10) Medal of Honor: Airborn - now
11) MX vs. ATV untamed - medium
12) Tom Clancy's GRAW - high
13) Blazing Angels - high
14) LEGO Star Wars complete - medium
15) Stranglehold - high
16) Ace Combat 6 - high
17) Need for Speed Pro Street - high
18) History Channel Batltle for the Pacific - high
19) Dirt - high
20) Spider-Man 3 - high
21) TMNT - high
22) History Channel Civil War - high
23) Burnout Paradise - releases 1/22
24) Bully - releases 3/5
25) Universe at War - releases 3/27
26) Grand Theft Auto IV - releases 4/30
27) Iron Man - releases 4/24
28) Lego Indiana Jones - releases 6/30
29) Star Wars Force Unleashed - releases 7/30
30) Ghostbusters - releases 10/16
31) Command & Conquer 3: Kanes Wrath - TBA
32) Fallout 3 - TBD
Old 01-22-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been a member for a little less than a year. Slower than Netflix, but a great service. Very reliable.
Old 01-22-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dan30oly
The two games they sent were Gun and Mass Effect, two games that I don't believe were anywhere near the top of my list, I should have posted the list earlier, but really didn't think they would send out anything today (netflix wouldn't have).
That's my only real complaint with the service. In my case, they've often shipped games low in my games-Q, bypassing many games that had a "high" probability of shipping.

The one game out at a time for $15 is pretty high, but I'm going to switch to that soon. That is still better than renting a game from blockbuster, and with games getting shorter and shorter, it shouldn't take me more than a month to get through something. So that way I won't have to fool with eBay or something trying to recoup money spent -- since I don't want to keep games I'm done with anymore.
Old 01-22-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a subscriber and my only complaint is the shipping time. I also like their keep it now program where you can buy (keep) rentals at competitive (low) prices. If there is a game I know I want, I ususally put it in my Q and then just keep it. They also offer free shipping on purchases and gamefly rewards based on how long you are a memeber. I think its $5 for every 3 months.
Old 01-22-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bahgee
They also offer free shipping on purchases and gamefly rewards based on how long you are a memeber. I think its $5 for every 3 months.
Those are nice, but they shouldn't ever expire. You should be able to stack them.
Old 01-24-08, 06:47 PM

I received my games today.

Since Monday was a non-shipping holiday, the games went out on Tuesday and arrived Thursday. Not bad at all from California to Olympia, WA. I was hoping for Friday and am pleasantly surprised.

I will likely be shipping Gun out Saturday and will report back when they check it back in.
Old 01-29-08, 09:09 PM

Gun was shipped out on Saturday and checked in this morning.

I get home at 7pm and they haven't sent anything out yet!

None on my list says available now, but 13 of them are "high"

You would think that at least one of those 13 could have been shipped today.

This is not boding well for the continuence of service. If they don't get anything shipped tomorrow I'm cancelling. That is ridiculous.
Old 01-30-08, 08:11 PM

Day 2 of nothing being sent out from my GameQ.

This is my list:

1) Turok - releases 2/5
2) Lost - releases 2/28
3) NBA 2k6 - very low
4) Fifa World Cup - high
5) LOTR the battle for middle earth - high
6) Call of Duty 2 - medium
7) Call of Duty 3 - high
8) Avatar - medium
9) Half-Life 2 Orange Box - high
10) Medal of Honor Airborne - high
11) mx vs atv - high
12) G.R.A.W. - high
13) Blazing Angels - high
14) Lego Star Wars complete saga - medium
15) Stranglehold - high
16) ace combat 6 - high
17) need for speed pro street - high
18) history channel battle for the pacific - high
19) dirt - high
20) spider-man 3 - available now
21) TMNT - high
22) History Channel a nation divided - high
23) Burnout paradise - medium
The rest are upcoming releases.

Now according to their system "HIGH" is supposed to have a 75% or higher chance of shipping. With all those games listed as "high" and one game "available now" you would think that after not shipping for 1 day, you would ship the second day. Especially for a service that costs $23 a month and has a 3-4 day one-way mailing average on games!

Furthermore, I'm going to be pissed if they do end up shipping Spider-Man 3 which is all the way down to #20 on my list.

One week into GameFly and I must say they are teh suck.
Old 01-31-08, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One week into GameFly and I must say they are teh suck.
If there's one thing I've learned about GF its that if you are expecting Netflix (or even Blockbuster) style turn around and shipping times, you're looking at the wrong service. You definitely can't be impatient w/ them... although I have to say I'm kind of surprised it's gone 2 days, I don't think I've had that happen before. The fact they may send you Spiderman wouldn't surprise though. Frequently I have things lower in the queue that are sent instead of higher items.
Old 01-31-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nemein
If there's one thing I've learned about GF its that if you are expecting Netflix (or even Blockbuster) style turn around and shipping times, you're looking at the wrong service. You definitely can't be impatient w/ them... although I have to say I'm kind of surprised it's gone 2 days, I don't think I've had that happen before. The fact they may send you Spiderman wouldn't surprise though. Frequently I have things lower in the queue that are sent instead of higher items.
I had it got 3-4 days a few times with 30+ games on my queue, which is what prompted me to cancel. I was getting 15 day turnarounds (between shipping back, them waiting to send, and then finally getting it).
Old 01-31-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any word on when the Tampa distribution center will be used for sending games out?

My first game came from California, but the address going back was Tampa. Of course, I sent that on Monday morning and there's still no indication that they've received it, so even when Tampa is at 100% I still may not be able to tolerate GameFly.
Old 01-31-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gromit
Any word on when the Tampa distribution center will be used for sending games out?

My first game came from California, but the address going back was Tampa. Of course, I sent that on Monday morning and there's still no indication that they've received it, so even when Tampa is at 100% I still may not be able to tolerate GameFly.
From what I can tell most games for me are being sent from Tampa (just based on delivery time). They seem to use the same Return Address no matter what though.
Old 01-31-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
From what I can tell most games for me are being sent from Tampa (just based on delivery time). They seem to use the same Return Address no matter what though.
I think its geographical. I got nearly all my games from CA, but all the return addresses were the PA for me (I live in Boston).
Old 01-31-08, 08:03 AM

I sent a game back Monday afternoon to the Tampa center, and it showed up as received per the email I recieved at 10:30am yesterday which much better than the 3-4 days it was taking. I was going to cancel if they had not received it yesterday. They also sent out another game yesterday so I am curious how long it will take to get it, hopefully it will come from Tampa and I will have it for the weekend.
Old 01-31-08, 08:21 AM

I went in knowing that it was going to take at least 3-4 days each way for shipment. But, to not ship anything out for 2 days seems like they are purposely creating another delay so as not to have as many discs on-hand or to save on shipping costs.

And, Spider-Man 3 somehow went from available now to "high" before 6:30am this morning. They're employees must get in really early or the computer system is messed up.

Last edited by dan30oly; 01-31-08 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lordwow
I think its geographical. I got nearly all my games from CA, but all the return addresses were the PA for me (I live in Boston).
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I meant that the return address on the original shipping sleeve says CA, but the actual return mailer has the Tampa address.
Old 01-31-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If there's one thing I've learned about GF its that if you are expecting Netflix (or even Blockbuster) style turn around and shipping times, you're looking at the wrong service.
Maybe but their pricing doesn't line up with shipping turnaround. Their pricing should be more in line with Netflix ($10/1 out, $15/2 out) BECAUSE of the incredibly slow shipping. $15 for one out and $25 for two is asinine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.