Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

ALANIS MORISSETTE: "Flavors of Entanglement" -Spring 2008

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Morissette Experiments With New 'Flavors'

Alanis Morissette will burst back onto the scene next spring with the album "Flavors of Entanglement." The set balances world- and folk-influenced tracks against the experimental pop leanings of producer Guy Sigsworth (Bjork, Madonna).

"When I heard the song 'Let Go' by [Sigsworth's band] Frou Frou, I listened over and over again. I was blown away by it. I called him on the phone myself and after a couple of conversations, I could tell we were going to be on the same page," Morissette tells Billboard.com.

The Canada native envisioned an album that pulled in her various musical interests, "a combination of everything" from organic instruments to hip-hop beats. Plus, "it's the first time since I was 16 I've had a boy back-up sing on one of my album. I'm finally giving them a chance," she laughs.

The effort, which she hopes to whittle down to 11 tracks in the following weeks, includes "Not As We," which features only piano and vocals, and "Moratorium," which is "essentially a song about my readiness to stop repeating bad patterns. I've kicked some of those in my life."

Thematically, the album explores Morissette's personal struggles over the last few years and the more political struggles in the world over. "Really, in the end, the personal struggles are political. Our emotions align themselves with larger symptomatic things in the world," Morissette explains. "We face a large war out there, but [the album] more closely reflects the war in peoples' living rooms... the icy silence at home, versus the big cold war."

As previously reported, Morissette signed on to the film adaptation of Philip K. Dick's 1985 sci-fi novel "Radio Free Albemuth," which started shooting in October. Morissette, who has acted since she was a preteen, said her screen ambitions have been a welcome escape from the music industry at times.

Fans eager to hear new material can catch the aritst on the road with matchbox twenty starting in January.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 01-12-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

originally posted by Daytripper From her upcoming new album. Nicely produced. Given the crap on the charts, I doubt it stands a chance. I'm buying the album for sure. Really really liked her last two.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=V0OJjB1dzow
Old 04-23-08, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so, just bumping this up because her new single is available on itunes, amazon, etc.

i like it

any thoughts??
Old 04-26-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

got email this week, album comes out June 10th [US].
Old 05-10-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alanis Morissette Plans Fall U.S. Tour

With her new album, "Flavors of Entanglement," due out June 10 on Maverick/Reprise, Alanis Morissette is planning an intense spate of road work that will include headlining dates in North America this fall.

"I would believe a North American tour would start mid-September," the Canadian singer-songwriter told Billboard.com during a teleconference with reporters on Thursday (May 8). "We'll be going back and forth from Europe to America probably three times throughout the summer, doing our own shows and probably some festivals as well."

While some promotional dates and radio station concerts are being set up, Morissette starts her tour proper on May 31 at the Rock in Rio festival in Lisbon. Her European run also includes festival shows in the Netherlands, Switzerland, Norway, Italy, Spain, Romania, Turkey, France, Belgium, Hungary and the U.K. No specific North American shows have been announced yet.

Morissette said she and her band would be starting rehearsals today (May 9) to break in two new members as well as the "Flavors of Entanglement" material.

"I do know we'll be playing quite a bit of the songs from this new record and songs from the last 13 years," she said. "And any time there are new bandmates that are integrated into the band, it infuses and it imbues the songs ... with a new energy, so that's exciting."

BILLBOARD.com
Old 05-11-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any early word on the album? I loved her first two (US) albums but never quite warmed up to either Under Rug Swept and So-Called Chaos
Old 05-15-08, 03:36 PM

A couple of the tracks leaked:

This one is Moratorium, the other leaked song is Versions of Violence, which will probably be up somewhere soon....i like the new direction she went with Guy Sigsworth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARBLIT95Im4
Old 05-24-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
It's pretty good. Damn sight better than the last cd I got(scarlett j). Anyway I already like a couple of tracks but while listen some more. It's just nice for some new alanis, I hope this comes out on dvd-audio.
Old 05-26-08, 06:47 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to this one. I've loved each of her albums so far.
Old 05-27-08, 12:58 PM

i instantly liked 'straightjacket' and 'not as we' .... the rest may take a few more listens
Old 05-27-08, 04:13 PM

The whole album has leaked. At first listen I am not impressed. At all. I have like all previous albums (esp. So-called Chaos and Under Rug Swept. This one I just don't know....
Old 05-28-08, 02:40 PM

this one takes some warming up to, because some of the sounds aren't what would be expected of alanis.

after a couple of listens, it's like a breath of fresh air and lyrically, i think it's her best work in a very long time.
Old 06-02-08, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Southside
this one takes some warming up to, because some of the sounds aren't what would be expected of alanis.

after a couple of listens, it's like a breath of fresh air and lyrically, i think it's her best work in a very long time.
i agree 100%

almost the entire album is incredible

i originally only liked Straightjacket and Not As We...

but almost all the tracks are great (Torch is my current favorite)

I'm still not a huge fan of "citizen" or "versions of violence" though
Old 06-08-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Finally heard the album in it's entirety and I really love it. Alanis is one artist that just keeps getting better with age. And how ironic (no pun) that her album sales have been less and less with each release.

Side note, and yes, nothing to do with her talent. But I noticed Alanis has put on quite a few el bees lately. I saw her on Ellen and Graham Norton within the past few weeks and she's noticeably quite heavier. Is she pregnant? Or just naturally getting bigger??
Old 06-10-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this album is her best since Junkie
Old 06-11-08, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Side note, and yes, nothing to do with her talent. But I noticed Alanis has put on quite a few el bees lately. I saw her on Ellen and Graham Norton within the past few weeks and she's noticeably quite heavier. Is she pregnant? Or just naturally getting bigger??
She's been packing on the weight since she broke up with Ryan Reynolds.

I've always liked Alanis. She's a good singer and gives the impression of being a cool person in the interviews I've seen. I haven't bought much of more recent stuff, though. I'll have to get FoE. "Versions of Violence" has grown on me quite a bit.
Old 06-11-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
She's been packing on the weight since she broke up with Ryan Reynolds.

I've always liked Alanis. She's a good singer and gives the impression of being a cool person in the interviews I've seen. I haven't bought much of more recent stuff, though. I'll have to get FoE. "Versions of Violence" has grown on me quite a bit.
She sounded great (no surprise) and looked terrific on Letterman last night. I didn't think her weight was an issue at all. She just looks healthy.

Can't wait to get the special edition. She does seem like a cool person, but be careful if you upset her because you know that you're going to the subject of at least one scathing song on her next album.

I saw her play a double bill with Tori Amos when Tori was my favorite female artist and after watching both performances, Alanis blew Tori away that night. I was extremely impressed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IYXDc6oJbsg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IYXDc6oJbsg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 06-15-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the album is expected to open at #8 with sales in the 45-50k range.

Where did all the fans who bought Jagged Little Pill go? You would think Alanis would have a big enough built-in fanbase that she would have no problem with a 100-200k opening before the album drops off.
Old 06-16-08, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
the album is expected to open at #8 with sales in the 45-50k range.

Where did all the fans who bought Jagged Little Pill go? You would think Alanis would have a big enough built-in fanbase that she would have no problem with a 100-200k opening before the album drops off.
That is her fanbase. Jagged Little Pill was a phenomenon. I wouldn't expect anywhere near that for any album that came out more than 10 years later. Is any artist from the 90's still consistently selling albums like crazy?
Old 06-16-08, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That is her fanbase. Jagged Little Pill was a phenomenon. I wouldn't expect anywhere near that for any album that came out more than 10 years later. Is any artist from the 90's still consistently selling albums like crazy?
yea, I knew she would never sell JLP numbers again, but you would think she would have a large enough audience that she would be able to have an opening better than 45-50k. I'd compare it to how people like Celine, Madonna, Mariah and the sort can drop an album whenever and a couple hundred thousand will buy it the first week regardless if the album is good or not, it's a built-in fanbase who sticks with them no matter what. You would think Alanis would have no problem opening with 100-200k before the album falls down the chart considering she was able to move over 16 million copies once. Yet now her fanbase has dwindled to the same amount of people who'll buy a Tori or Bjork album on the first week, but the difference is, while Tori and Bjork are cult artists and open with 40-50k these days, they were never massive like Alanis was in the 90's so a 50k opening isn't as big of a drastic fall from grace than the days where Alanis was guarenteed a #1 debut.
Old 06-17-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
I think about the sales for JLP and it's just mind blowing. Funny thing, for me is, it's my least favorite Alanis album. I liked her last two albums the best. Now I'm listening to "Flavors of Entanglement" for the very first time. And it is absolutely fantastic. I love every single track. And I'm bummed because I know this album won't even sell 500,000 copies. These songs are just as good if not better than anything on JLP. In my small humble opinion. Fuck the masses. I'm very happy with this product. Don't give up Alanis! You just keep getting better to me.
Old 06-18-08, 02:12 AM

^ lol

shitty first single...doesn't reflect the album, which is sad because who knows if radio will touch any of the other singles, if there are to be any.
Old 06-18-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I think Alanis reached her artistic apex with Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, but I think the album was way too over the map for all the pop fans expecting Jagged II.

One of the reasons I love this album and it clicked so fast is that it is closest to SFIJ than the other albums in her catalog
Old 02-13-09, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: ALANIS MORISSETTE: "Flavors of Entanglement" -Spring 2008

I liked this album.

I saw her perform on "Live From The Artists Den" on PBS and she sounded great.

Finally heard the album in it's entirety and I really love it. Alanis is one artist that just keeps getting better with age. And how ironic (no pun) that her album sales have been less and less with each release.
She blows away Mariah, Rianna, Duffy, Adele, Carrie Underwood, and all the other female artists that are in vogue these days.

I don't understand why she only made one video for this record and artists like Mariah Carey are still geting played nonstop on VH1 when they play music videos late at night.
Old 02-13-09, 02:30 AM

Re: ALANIS MORISSETTE: "Flavors of Entanglement" -Spring 2008

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I liked this album.

I saw her perform on "Live From The Artists Den" on PBS and she sounded great.

She blows away Mariah, Rianna, Duffy, Adele, Carrie Underwood, and all the other female artists that are in vogue these days.

I don't understand why she only made one video for this record and artists like Mariah Carey are still geting played nonstop on VH1 when they play music videos late at night.
she made a second video for "not as we", but damn, radio nor vh1 touched it.