Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"Spaced" to be remade for American television (merged)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Spaced" to be remade for American television (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Spaced" to be remade for American television

Fox, Barr and McG Adapting Spaced
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
October 30, 2007

Fox is teaming with writer Adam Barr and producer McG for "Spaced," a comedy project based on the Channel 4 series of the same name from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz masterminds Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Fox has handed out a put pilot commitment to the single-camera "Spaced," which hails from Warner Bros. TV, McG's WBTV-based Wonderland Sound and Vision and Granada America, which owns the format.

The project revolves around two strangers who pose as a married couple in order to rent an apartment.

Barr ("Will & Grace") is writing the script, which garnered interest from several networks. He is executive producing with Wonderland's McG and Peter Johnson and Granada's Robert Green.

The original series, which ran on Channel 4 for two seasons, was written by Pegg and Jessica Hynes who starred as the fake couple, and was directed by Wright. It earned two BAFTA nominations for best comedy series and an International Emmy nomination.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Edgar's MySpace:

Oct 30 2007 12:10 AM

For the record on SPACED US, I have nothing to do with it. They haven't even deigned to contact me.

Leave well alone I say.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

booo.
Old 10-30-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Wow, that's pretty fucked up. I was hesitantly excited until I read that they hadn't even bothered contacting any of the original creative team.
Old 10-30-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jesus Christ... first no involvement from Pegg or Wright and now fucking McG?!!!! I really hope they call it something different, because now everytime I say to someone, "you have to see my favorite sitcom, "Spaced," I'll have to follow it with, "The British -i.e.:good version - not the spectacular piece of shite created by Mr. Charlies Angels and that pompous douche from Will & Grace."

-Doc
Old 10-30-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GoVegan
Wow, that's pretty fucked up. I was hesitantly excited until I read that they hadn't even bothered contacting any of the original creative team.
Where did you get that? That said nothing about Pegg's involvement. He'll probably at least be a producer. Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes were the writing team on the original. Wright was simply the director of the series.
Old 10-30-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Where did you get that? That said nothing about Pegg's involvement. He'll probably at least be a producer. Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes were the writing team on the original. Wright was simply the director of the series.
I'm fairly certain, given that they are childhood friends, had the producers talked to Pegg, he'd have mentioned it to Edgar. I feel it is safe to say that as of the moment, anyway, nobody from the original creative team is on board.

EDIT: Yep.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=323711601

Last edited by tylergfoster; 10-30-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I absolutely HATE when they remake a British TV series for American television!

Why can't they come up with good original ideas like "All in the Family" or "Sanford and Son"?
Old 10-30-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Yeah, sorry, I neglected to post a link to the blog in which Edgar mentions that. He doesn't say anything about Jessica Stevenson, but he does say that nobody's contacted Pegg.
Old 10-30-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 10-30-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
With this announcement is there a remote possibility that "Spaced" will be released on R1 DVD? I have been interested in seeing this show since viewing Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

I imagine this show will turn out more like the US version of "Men Behaving Badly" than the US version of "The Office."
Old 10-30-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wishbon3
With this announcement is there a remote possibility that "Spaced" will be released on R1 DVD? I have been interested in seeing this show since viewing Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.
Maybe, but without all of the Star Wars music.

Besides, I don't want Spaced associated with this Americanized version, so I hope they name it something else.

Do what I did. Get a region-free player. 40 bucks on ebay.

-Doc
Old 10-30-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Spaced rules.

Simon and Jessica better be on board.
Old 10-30-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Spaced wasn't great because of the concept. It was great because of the actors, writing, and direction. I have no expectations whatsoever for this.
Old 10-30-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brainee
Spaced wasn't great because of the concept. It was great because of the actors, writing, and direction. I have no expectations whatsoever for this.
Exactly. It's hard to say at this point, but I think if we're doing US/UK Office comparisons, Spaced is the British Office and this one sounds like it'll be When the Whistle Blows...
Old 10-30-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeppers... The only thing this version will have... is the only thing that never mattered: the plot about the fake couple. That was never the point. It was about Pegg/Hynes & Wright having a fantastic ear for dialog and forging great characters that were quickly loved, and celebrating nerd movie culture. The remake sounds like typical sitcom mistaken-identity fodder.
Old 10-30-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's another funny quote from Edgar Wright about an attempt seven years ago to create an American version:

I'm reminded of a meeting about seven years ago, when Granada USA has previously tried to make a SPACED U.S. pilot. A script was actually written, by the brains behind DINOSAURS!, no less.

I never read it, but remember tuning out of the whole idea around the time of the following comment by the then producer.

"We'd have to make a few changes of course. Lose the drugs and the swearing. And Mike's character can't have guns. Because in the United States, guns are kinda frowned upon".

Exit. Stage left.
I'd LOVE to read that script.
Old 10-30-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved Spaced, but don't hold out much hope for a US version.
Old 10-30-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Jessica Stevenson WAS Spaced.

Discuss.
Old 10-30-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They just want another success like the Office, but this isn't going to be it.
Old 10-30-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly, and I would have little hope at all if it wern't for how good I think the US office turned out (and yes, even though I saw the BBC version first and loved it, I like the US version better).

Without the PERFECT cast and writing this will turn out to be a bad copy of Three's Company.
Old 10-30-07, 10:42 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Exactly, and I would have little hope at all if it wern't for how good I think the US office turned out
The difference is that the US version of The Office was developed by Greg Daniels and at least had the blessing of the original creators. This is being developed by the douche behind Charlie's Angels.
Old 10-30-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it would be hugely funny and successfull if they changed it from a couple pretending to be maried so they can live together to a guy pretending he's gay instead.
Old 10-31-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For all the love that the Office (UK version) got I always thought that Spaced was a superior show. I think this remake is a bad idea though. I just cant imagine that show working without those actors/creative team
Old 10-31-07, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Jessica Stevenson WAS Spaced.

Discuss.
"Current affairs...Current affairs...what do you think about current affairs?" "I like them...I think they're good."

Your right...The rest of them are great too though.

It'll have to be really fucking good for me to watch it. The only way i can see this working would be if they grabbed some of the better former Simpson's writers, or Pegg and Stevenson. But I can see Brian being played by Coolio and Jessica played by Paris Hilton...it'll be awful.
Old 10-31-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
This won't get further than a single pilot episode.
Old 10-31-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sb5
This is being developed by the douche behind Charlie's Angels.
Well not to refute your comments or anything, but he also had a hand in Supernatural and Chuck which are both great shows....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.