Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Next Iron Chef - Discussion Thread (Sundays 9/8 C - Starts 10/07/07)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 08:16 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

Since I don't think that this thread will garner much attention, I think that this thread will suffice for the entire season.

Anyway... here's the description:

This October, Food Network cranks up the burners–and the stakes–in Kitchen Stadium with The Next Iron Chef, a new reality show that will award one chef with the world's most coveted culinary title: Iron Chef.

Eight top chefs from around the country will compete to join the ranks of Mario Batali, Cat Cora, Bobby Flay and Masaharu Morimoto and be launched into instant fame.
Here are the chefs...

• John Besh defeated Mario Batali in Battle Andouille
  • Chris Cosentino lost to Mario Batali in Battle Garlic
  • Jill Davie has never battled in Kitchen Stadium
  • Traci Des Jardins defeated Mario Batali in Battle Shrimp
  • Gavin Kayson has never battled in Kitchen Stadium
  • Morou Ouatarra lost to Bobby Flay in Battle Frozen Peas
  • Aaron Sanchez had a draw against Masaharu Morimoto in Battle Black Bass
  • Michael Symon lost to Masaharu Morimoto in Battle Asparagus

Last edited by Goldberg74; 10-07-07 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 08:51 PM

Episode 1: Speed and Artistry

Episode Description: Alton Brown and the Chairman greet the contestants who wish to be the Next Iron Chef. After they explore their surroundings (the Culinary Institute of America), they are given their first two tests.

Test 1: Speed
Spoiler:
Each contestant must do 7 tasks as fast as they can. Tasks include de-boning a chicken, filleting a salmon, coconut water, oysters, slicing diacon, etc.

Winner:
Spoiler:
Chef Sanchez - 75 points (No penalties)

Test 2: Artistry
Spoiler:
Create a dessert without using sugar or any prepared sweets. Chefs must choose an ingredient according to their position in the last challenge.

Sanchez: Duck
Besh: Catfish
Symon: Bacon
Cosentino: Tripe
Morou:chirizo
Davie: Beef
Des Jardins: Salmon
Kayson: Squid

Winner:
Spoiler:
Chef Besh - Catfish

Eliminated
Spoiler:
Came down to Chef Symon (Bacon) and Chef Des Jardins (Salmon)... and Symon was saved by the skin of his teeth... and Chef Des Jardins is asked to leave.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 10-07-07 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread, Goldberg. My $$$ is on Besh. I saw the episode where he beat Batali and I also saw him win a Food Network seafood challenge. He seems like the real deal and he never seems to get flustered in the kitchen. It would be nice if Food Network would bring in some fans or air conditioners for the rest of the season. Watching chefs, even highly skilled ones, sweat into food is quite unappetizing!
Old 10-07-07, 10:03 PM

I'll see your "sweat into food" and throw in "bleeding on food" too.

Besh is my early favorite too... second to Sanchez (he's cocky) and Cosentino (he's just plain cool).

They had Besh's battle on before the premiere (coincidence?) and it's one of the best ones. I would have loved to have been a judge on that particular ep.
Old 10-07-07, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was good, even though they clearly ripped off the format of Top Chef. Do we know if there are going to be 5 Iron Chefs after this, or is one of them leaving? I heard rumors that Mario Batali was out at Food Network.
Old 10-07-07, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by sharbhund
Do we know if there are going to be 5 Iron Chefs after this, or is one of them leaving? I heard rumors that Mario Batali was out at Food Network.
He'll still be around ICAmerica:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...3568545&page=1

The network has decided to stop airing "Molto Mario," the program Batali began hosting a decade ago but which despite regular reruns has not been in production for nearly three years, a Food Network spokeswoman told ABCNEWS.com. Batali will, however, continue to appear on "Iron Chef America."
He's moving to PBS to help develop some shows over there.
Old 10-08-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just watched it. I don't mind that it has a very similar format to Top Chef, and in fact I thought this show was more entertaining, and felt faster paced. Much more focus on the cooking and what goes into each dish, and less focus on outside drama.

Definitely hope they figure out how to deal with the heat, because the excessive sweating was a big turn off.

Also, I agree that Besh is easily the early favorite.
Old 10-08-07, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
He'll still be around ICAmerica:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...3568545&page=1

He's moving to PBS to help develop some shows over there.
I heard the same. My understanding was the Batali was leaving FN completely because they didn't renew his show. I can't find it now and I could be wrong.
Old 10-08-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Haven't been watching F-TV too much lately. I didn't know this was coming on. I may have to check it out.
Old 10-14-07, 09:19 PM

Episode 2: Simplicity and Innovation (10/14/07)

Test 3: Simplicity
Spoiler:
The Chairman asked the seven remaining chefs to create a dish... rather a single bite... that summed up their style and cuisine. They had 30 minutes to plate six bites of their culinary sample. Chef Besh has first choice of ingredients. Chef Sanchez plated only one bite... he thought that they had time beyond the 30 minute to plate the food. He was wrong... and was pissed.

Winner
Spoiler:
The six platings were so that the chefs could to vote for their favorite bite. In the end Chef Symon had 3 cards, and got the win.

Test 4: Innovation
Spoiler:
The Chairman asked them to step into the future, and embrace innovative cooking techniques. There was the water bath thingy (ESM?), nitroglycerin, the antigrill (-30˚ cold plate), an injection smoker, a shaving-cream-like-foam maker, and a bunch of chemicals. They had to make 3 dishes and use 3 devices and 2 chemicals.

Winner
Spoiler:
Chef Cosentino. The judges said that his razorfish dish would not have been possible without the innovation equipment.

Eliminated:
Spoiler:
It was down to Chef Kaysen and Chef Davie. Chef Davie got the boot... but Chef Kaysen was told to be very careful.

Next week's ep looks good... but two chefs will be eliminated.
Old 10-14-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that Davie is gone, the Kitchen Stadium is nothing but a sausage fest! I still think that Besh is the strongest and am rooting for him to take the prize.
Old 10-15-07, 01:26 AM

Another good episode. Really tough elimination challenge, IMO! I really don't see the point of it though, as I've only seen a couple chefs on ICA actually use most of that stuff (other than the immersion circulator), and those were generally challengers, including Chef Dufresne, who showed them what the different chemicals did.
It's too bad both women were eliminated in the first 2 shows though
Old 10-15-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good episode. Chef Davie deserved to go. Chef Kaysen will be one of the next to go.
Either Chef Symon or Chef Ouatarra will also be eliminated next week.
I think either Chef Besh or Chef Cosentino will win.
Old 10-26-07, 08:56 PM

Episode 3: Resourcefullness (10/21/07)

Test 5: Resourcefulness

Basically, it was a chance to screw each other over and there were some good screw overs.

In the end...

Eliminated (Double Elimination):
Spoiler:
Chefs Kaysen and Morou were eliminated tonight.
Old 10-26-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for bumping the thread. I like the remaining 4 cheftestants(I'm still rooting for Besh though). I'm really getting sick of all 3 of the judges, but I always seem to tire of the judges on all of these type of shows. This week should be good-they are off to Munich and Paris. Hopefully the weather will be cooler so we don't have to endure watching anymore sweating into the food!
Old 10-29-07, 04:08 AM

From the beginning, I've felt that Besh and Symon were the ones to beat, and are the only two I'd want to watch on Iron Chef, so I'm happy that it looks like one of those two will win. I just can't see Cosentino winning it all.

And I really dislike the two male judges... the woman seems alright, but the other two seem way too fussy and uptight.

Only think I would have like to see on tonights airplane challenge would have been that the food was also served on the plane (like Top Chef)
Old 10-29-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally Posted by bdshort
Only think I would have like to see on tonights airplane challenge would have been that the food was also served on the plane (like Top Chef)
Yeah, why tell them that food in the air seems more bland than food on the ground if they weren't going to be flying.
Old 11-06-07, 12:31 AM

Anyone besides me still watching this? As I hoped, Besh and Symon are the final 2, who will have their epic head to head showdown in Kitchen Stadium next week! Should be good, as both are fantastic personalities to watch, and have the cooking skills to match.
Old 11-06-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm still watching. I think Besh has this thing wrapped up. Symon is good, but Besh has always seemed like a more relaxed chef who is willing to try new things and knows how to accomplish that as well.
Old 11-06-07, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping Besh wins. I like both guys, but I think Besh will work out better as an Iron Chef. I do miss Wolfgang Puck tho, I always felt he was the one AIC that really thought outside of the box.
Old 11-06-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Possible winner revealed-

Spoiler:
Supposedly the first battle for the next Iron Chef will be a Thanksgiving battle. There is a link on Symon's personal website to the Food Network's site describing the details of this battle. I don't think that he would have a link on his site if he did not win the competition. I hope that I'm wrong because I'm pulling for Besh(although Symon seems like a cool guy).
Old 11-10-07, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Possible winner revealed-

Spoiler:
Supposedly the first battle for the next Iron Chef will be a Thanksgiving battle. There is a link on Symon's personal website to the Food Network's site describing the details of this battle. I don't think that he would have a link on his site if he did not win the competition. I hope that I'm wrong because I'm pulling for Besh(although Symon seems like a cool guy).
Food Network says it's a Thanksgiving Battle but is not spilling who the new chef is.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._53189,00.html

Spoiler:
What even stranger is that John Besh's site for "August" is currently being redesigned right now. Hmmmmmm.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 11-10-07 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 04:20 PM

They are running a marathon right now that is leading up to the Besh v. Symon battle.
Old 11-11-07, 04:53 PM

Having eaten at one of Michael Symon's restaurants a few times, and watching his live cooking demonstrations often on local tv- I am definitely pulling for him. Just a really cool guy who will ultimately be more entertaining to watch than John Besh. I just find Besh to be a bit too cocky and pretentious for my tastes (and I already get my fill of that by watching Bobby Flay.)

Yesterday was the "Fabulous Food Show" in Cleveland. Giada and Alton did live cooking demonstrations, and both mentioned the competition coyly. As you wandered around from booth to booth- you could overhear many people buzzing about who would win tonight. I heard more than one person who claimed to have inside knowledge of the winner.

Interestingly:
Spoiler:
Michael Symon was not a participant, while other popular local chefs were. Maybe he was a bit busy with the month long filming of the new season?
Old 11-11-07, 08:59 PM

Awesome!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.