Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

New Death Of Superman Omnibus

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Death Of Superman Omnibus

At the local comic shop yesterday I saw the new Death Of Superman Omnibus and I have to say to anyone even thinking about buying this: DON'T! This has to be one of the cheapest made hardcovers of all time. First of all an Omnibus should be heavy, this book is light as a feather. Although the book was sealed it was obvious the book was printed on cheap paper stock, the person at DC in charge of this cheap junk should be fired. When I saw the $75 cover price I was nearly floored. DC should be ashamed of themselves for this disaster, I felt bad for the buyer who pre-purchased this cheap piece of junk.
Old 09-13-07, 09:49 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I was thinking about buying this, but I heard they skipped some of the "World Without A Superman" issues, which really defeats the point of an Omnibus. Your report seals the deal on passing on this one.
Old 09-13-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
The whole "Death of Superman" story was fucking awful to begin with.
Old 09-13-07, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The whole "Death of Superman" story was fucking awful to begin with.
The Death portion was. The World Without A Superman stuff was pretty good, and the Reign of the Supermen stuff where you had four Supermen and nobody was sure which, if any, were the real deal -- that was great stuff.
Old 09-13-07, 08:49 PM

Mine's arriving soon via Amazon (for 47 bucks and change). Never read a single Superman book back when I was collecting floppies book so I won't know what issues are missing here.

If it was sealed, how didja know the paper stock was cheap? You mean like what they used for vol. 1 of the Fourth World Omnibus? If that's the case, I don't mind. Not everything has to be printed on shiny paper. I'm not a magpie.
Old 09-13-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed the Death Of - somewhat liked the World Without and hated the Reign of the Supermen arc. I may pick it up used eventually.
Old 09-14-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I haven't seen this one but I was surprised at how they printed the Jack Kirby New Gods HC. That was very light too, obviously because of the paper used, and they charged 50 bucks, I think.
Old 09-14-07, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DataZak
Mine's arriving soon via Amazon (for 47 bucks and change). Never read a single Superman book back when I was collecting floppies book so I won't know what issues are missing here.

If it was sealed, how didja know the paper stock was cheap? You mean like what they used for vol. 1 of the Fourth World Omnibus? If that's the case, I don't mind. Not everything has to be printed on shiny paper. I'm not a magpie.
As soon as you pick up the book you will know, it weighs nothing. In my opinion an Omnibus should be heavy and top quality. You can see the paper stock thru the seal, it looks like the old comic book paper stock they used in those days. Maybe they want people to experience the death of Superman like we did so many years ago? I don't mind the cheap paper, but damn for $75 I expect some quality. You know what I mean?
Old 09-14-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Wasn't there a thread a while back about how the Omnibus were too heavy and it was ruining the binding?
Old 09-16-07, 09:05 PM

The book arrived at my office a minute ago and I can confirm that the paper is similar to the Fourth World Omnibus. Newsprint stock instead of the shiny, happy, glossy as all get out paper stock that Marvel prefers for their Omnibus.

No big deal for me but I would understand how others may not like it especially since the retail price is $75. But in this day and age, who buys a hardcover book at retail price??

I'm at the office right now so I can't compare the size with the Marvel Omnibi but I'm pretty sure it's not oversized like the Marvel versions.

Eh, whatever. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Oh yeah, one small thing....there's a blurb at the top left of the dustjacket promoting the Superman vs Doomsday dvd. It spoils the dustjacket IMO.