Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Daft Punk release live album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 09:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

news from NME:

Daft Punk are set to release a live album later this year.

The LP will consist of a show recorded on June 14 in Paris.

A single CD version is set to be released as well as a two-disc version which features the show's encore, reports Billboard.

Speaking about the album, Daft Punk's Thomas Bangalter said: "We're from Paris and we hadn't played there for ten years. It must have been a special night for the audience, as well as us."

The band are set to release a version of their 2001 track 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger' as a single, and a video will be directed by Oliver Gondry and feature footage shot by fans at a recent Brooklyn show.

Bangalter said: "It's a montage of people shooting the song in the audience with 250 cameras. We were inspired by the Beastie Boys's 'Awesome, I Fuckin' Shot That!' and we tried to do that in a four-minute video."

Speaking about their collaboration with Kanye West on his new single 'Stronger', Guy Manuel de Homem Christo said: "The DJ had made an edit of our song at the beginning and then it turned into this song. Out song had a good sound, but when the put Kanye's record on the sound was really fat."

~

cool, but given how the show's are a light show extravaganza - wouldn't a video version of this performance be ideal - oh well.
Old 08-17-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just read about this. I've already waxed lyrical about the incredible awesome-ness of the 06 Coachella bootleg that's out there so a legit version of their live show is definitely much appreciated.

I completely agree that a live DVD is pretty much a neccessity at this point.
Old 08-19-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I completely agree that a live DVD is pretty much a neccessity at this point.
Yep, especially if it shows them from inside the pyramid. I'd like to see some shots of them doing their thing.
Old 08-21-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the brooklyn show was the best concert ive ever been to in my life.
Old 08-21-07, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff
the brooklyn show was the best concert ive ever been to in my life.
wish I was there.

has there been any word if the Las Vegas October show will be there only show - I would love it if they could pencil in a few cities they missed, say like the DC/Baltimore area.
Old 09-12-07, 01:32 PM

here's the album track list for Alive 2007 (2CD+50 Page Booklet) according to CDWow:

Robot Rock
Oh Yeah
Touch It
Technologic
Television Rules The Nation
Crescendolls
Too Long
Steam Machine
Around The World
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Burnin'
Too Long
Face To Face
Short Circuit
One More Time
Aerodynamic
Aerodynamic Beats
Forget About The World
Prime Time Of Your Life
Brainwasher
Rollin' And Scratchin'
Alive
Da Funk
Daftendirekt
Superheroes
Human After All
Rock N' Roll
Human
Together
One More Time (Reprise)
Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You
Stardust - Music Sounds Better Wth You (Instrumental)
Old 09-13-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bummer, no "Musique"

But the inclusion of Stardust is a wonderful bonus.
Old 09-16-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if this is the "bercy" show, it kicks ass.
Old 11-24-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else get this? The great sound quality is definitely appreciated and the tweaks are extremely tight on this show. Also, the crowd noise is just the right level. Great live album.

Sidenote: I guess there will definitely be no live DVD:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...184-alive-2007

I don't get why not. Bangalter's argument that the live clips online should suffice is ridiculous: most of them are shaky, blurry camera phone type crap taken from 500 yards away. The only professionally shot stuff I can find is from the Wireless Festival in the UK, and it's definitely worth checking out:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c14T6Af8zJg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c14T6Af8zJg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctN8qgFjssM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctN8qgFjssM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Anyone with a passing interest in Daft Punk would buy a full DVD of that, IMO... C'mon robots, get off your high horse and give the people what they want.
Old 11-25-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Yep, I would definitely pick up a dvd of their tour. I doubt I'll buy the cd, so I guess Daft Punk won't get any money from me. It seems they don't care.

Hopefully, I'll come across a tv performance rip or something.
Old 11-26-07, 08:59 AM

what Daft Punk needs to do is stop ignoring the states/cities they continually ignore and perform in ... um, say the DC/Baltimore area ... duh.

Last edited by Giles; 12-04-07 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-04-07, 11:01 AM

Special mention, but it's a live album:
11. Daft Punk: Alive 2007- Best tour ever?

Originally Posted by Giles
granted you can't encode a 90 minute performance on a CD - but I thought the MP3 recording of the Coachella performance was alot better - this seemed waaay too choppy... but hey, I still enjoyed it for what it was.
The Coachella bootleg's levels are inconsistent and the crowd noise is a little too loud, IMO. It does have the benefit of having the entire concert, including the Close Encounters tones.

Also, I'm surprised that you found Alive so "choppy". IMO, the differences in content between it and Coachella are small. If anything, I found the edits are tighter in Alive. Alive also sounds leagues better.

Originally Posted by Giles
'Alive' may 'sound' better but I found the missing parts obvious. The bootleg I heard did not have alot of crowd noise. the time constraints of the CD really hurt the overall concert feel - I wish the cd was more like the Orbital Glastonbury concert CD/DVD release in that the while it's a mixture of various performances - you still get the whole concert experience.
even though I personally find a few flaws in the 'live' album I still recommend since it's a legit and great sounding performance - the non-inclusion or seperate release of a DVD is sorely missing. Fan's should really get a chance to see or sample what the Daft Punk live experience is like - I know I'm deprived in that respect.
Old 12-04-07, 06:56 PM

I saw them in Seattle last summer and it was INCREDIBLE.

I'm not sure how "live" it really was, how do they even see their gear through those things anyway? But the spectacle of the lights, suits, pyramid and the way all of the songs were mixed together was truly awesome.
Old 12-05-07, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hixx
I saw them in Seattle last summer and it was INCREDIBLE.

I'm not sure how "live" it really was, how do they even see their gear through those things anyway? But the spectacle of the lights, suits, pyramid and the way all of the songs were mixed together was truly awesome.
an issue of Mixmag earlier in the year had a two page spread of the pyramid mixing system it was pretty amazing how basic the setup was.
Old 12-05-07, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Bootlegs sound better. Or so I hear.

E
Old 12-05-07, 10:39 AM
Suspended

Anyone with a passing interest in Daft Punk would buy a full DVD of that, IMO... C'mon robots, get off your high horse and give the people what they want.
Wrong. Most of the Daft Punk followers have enough bootleg live footage already. I totally agree with their "there is no need for a live dvd" stance. In all actuality, there was no need for the live cd. But here is fan footage spliced into a video [doesn't look shaky, mobile phone -shot to me]:

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/vi...ster-stro.html

E
Old 12-05-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Wrong.
Whatever. I would pay for a 2 hour, professionally produced DVD. So would lots of other people.
Old 12-05-07, 01:09 PM

Whatever. I would pay for a 2 hour, professionally produced DVD. So would lots of other people.
Old 12-05-07, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Wrong. Most of the Daft Punk followers have enough bootleg live footage already. I totally agree with their "there is no need for a live dvd" stance. In all actuality, there was no need for the live cd. But here is fan footage spliced into a video [doesn't look shaky, mobile phone -shot to me]:

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/vi...ster-stro.html

E
It's generally a good business model to put out product that competes with bootlegs so fans that would like to purchase a legit product are able to do so.
Old 12-05-07, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Yeah, but Daft Punk aren't Fall Out Boy.

They don't have licensed merch for sale. They don't care if fan tape their shows. In fact, they encourage it. And the bootlegs are better than any release that can be produced by some shitty music label. The end.

E
Old 12-05-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any good prices on this?
Old 12-05-07, 04:58 PM

Really? Seems to me that they had merch for sale at the show I saw, maybe I was just imagining all those folks walking around in $30 Alive 2007 shirts.

Anyway, most bands that encourage taping, Pearl Jam, DMB, Phish etc. sell official concert recordings, and not necessarily through a label either. Not only are the recordings of higher quality many times, but they also make the recordings available to those who may not have the time or technical knowledge to search for recordings on bt sites or whatever.
Old 12-08-07, 01:02 AM
Suspended

Yes. Those DRAFT PUNK shirts were definitely approved merch. *roll eyes*

I don't care about jam bands. DP have the same stance I do, so maybe someone has it right. Maybe you think your perspective is right, and maybe it is to you, but for some reason, the French guys see it the same way I do. Deal with it.

E
Old 12-08-07, 02:13 AM

Delta, that's funny; I saw Daft at Vegoose and bought one of those bootleg T-shirts. I was showing off to a friend when he pointed out that the morons had spelled it Draft Punk on the back. Still pretty funny.
Old 12-08-07, 11:58 AM
Suspended

I was at Alive 2007: Las Vegas as well.

Pretty good show. Do you have the bootleg for that show? NOTE: Vegoose allows tapers to bring in mics and the such, so there are particularly good bootlegs of performances for those who attended and want to relive.

E

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.