Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dave Gahan's new solo album (of Depeche Mode)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-26-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Let's hope it's better than his first one. Woof!

DAVE GAHAN SET TO RELEASE 'HOURGLASS,'
HIS SECOND SOLO ALBUM,
IN LATE OCTOBER

Depeche Mode front man DAVE GAHAN will release his second solo album - HOURGLASS - in late October (exact date to be announced). The Mute release is the follow-up to his 2003 solo album Paper Monsters, which marked his debut as a full-fledged songwriter. The disc earned critical acclaim worldwide (with Q magazine citing it as one of the Top 50 Albums of the Year) and spawned sold-out solo tours of the U.S. and Europe (as captured on the 2004 live DVD release Live Monsters).

Gahan's growth as a songwriter was represented on Depeche Mode's 2005 album Playing The Angel, the group's first album to feature Gahan originals; his three contributions included the single "Suffer Well." A two million worldwide seller that vaulted to Number #1 in eighteen countries, the album was accompanied by a 2005-2006 international tour reaching 2.5 million people across 30 countries.

While Depeche Mode is catching their breath, GAHAN recently returned to the studio to record an array of songs that would become HOURGLASS. Created without the pressure of a deadline, GAHAN wrote and produced all the songs in collaboration with Christian Eigner (drums) and Andrew Phillpott (guitars) of the Depeche Mode touring band. They worked at Gahan's 11th Floor Studios in his adopted hometown of NYC where he's lived for the past 10 years. Tony Hoffer, known for his work with Beck, Air, the Kooks and the Fratellis, has been tapped to mix the album in July.

Gahan says HOURGLASS is more electronic-sounding than Paper Monsters, "but we were very aware of the importance of keeping urgency in the sound and a feeling of spontaneity. We didn't want to get bogged down in trying to make everything sound perfect. You want to keep the rough edges."

Gahan adds: "Christian plays drums and Andrew can easily find his way around bass and guitar - and then we're basically cutting all this stuff up and fucking with it by using ProTools, effects and all kinds of stuff. Accidents do happen, and they're good."

With its themes of racing against - and running out of - time, the songs on HOURGLASS dig deeper into Gahan's psyche. "I'm still that teenager who's desperately trying to grow up, but in total fear of it really happening," he says. The album's tracks include "Saw Something," "Use You," "Endless," "21 Days," "A Little Lie," "Deeper and Deeper," "Love Will Leave," "Down," "Miracles," "Tomorrow" and "Kingdom."
Old 06-27-07, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in!, I actually didn't mind most of paper monsters (better than counterfeit v.2)
and the Gahan songs from Playing the Angel were really good
Old 06-27-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet count me in two Gahan is the man!
Old 06-27-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I love Gahan's voice and I'm always up for new Depeche mode. Paper Monsters didn't click with me but I'm more than ready to try a new record. Wish it was sooner!

Michael
Old 06-27-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fiver
I love Gahan's voice and I'm always up for new Depeche mode. Paper Monsters didn't click with me but I'm more than ready to try a new record. Wish it was sooner!

Michael

Wish it were sooner!? October will be here in no time. The guy just started making the album two months ago. Wish DM still made albums that fast!

And yes, I too love Dave's voice. I think he is the best male singer out there. But, I too, did not like "Paper Monsters". Not because of his vocals. The songs were "eh". As was the production. But hopefully, he's improved with his songwriting. Like his contribution on "Playing the Angel". And the fact that the second solo album is more electronic is VERY promising.

BTW, did you guys know that word is Martin was ready to start work on a new DM album and Dave said no? He wanted to do another solo album. So, I'm glad this was fast tracked. Maybe come early 2008, DM will regroup and start recording their next album.
Old 06-28-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I guess I am a bit impatient, but it's only because I love the music

Great to hear that there might be more DM after the solo album. I was disappointed by Exciter but thought Playing the Angel was great...I knew this band hadn't lost it so I'm eager to see what they do next.

Michael
Old 07-03-07, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daytripper
BTW, did you guys know that word is Martin was ready to start work on a new DM album and Dave said no? He wanted to do another solo album. So, I'm glad this was fast tracked. Maybe come early 2008, DM will regroup and start recording their next album.
Here's hoping!

On a related note i see Alan Wilder's musical project 'Recoil' is releasing an album next week after a six year hiatus!
Old 07-05-07, 06:03 AM

Gonna grab this for sure. Sure PM is an aquired taste but it's still not bad.

Originally Posted by RichDB10
Here's hoping!

On a related note i see Alan Wilder's musical project 'Recoil' is releasing an album next week after a six year hiatus!
Word around town is, 'SubHuman' is pretty awful. Poor Alan. Wish he'd get back with the boys
Old 11-12-07, 09:20 AM

guess no one cared that this was released
But I actually really like it, I always keep kinda going back to it and listen through the album. I prefer it a lot more than Paper Monsters...this to me sounds more like a depeche mode type album. I find the actual instrumentation and layers pretty interesting...the kingdom kinda reminds me of a NIN type deal.
anyways, a pretty strong album.
Old 11-12-07, 12:53 PM
Cool New Member

Yes it is a much stronger album than Paper Monsters. I really enjoy it. I find it more enjoyable, on whole, than the last few DM CD's.
Old 11-12-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ringside
Yes it is a much stronger album than Paper Monsters. I really enjoy it. I find it more enjoyable, on whole, than the last few DM CD's.
How could it not be better than "Paper Monsters"? But yes, great little album. Not sure what he was expecting in terms of sales, but it hasn't done well at all. As long as Dave enjoys making music on the side, I'm all for it. "Hourglass" is much more enjoyable than "Exciter". But no way is this better than "Playing the Angel".