The unofficial Deep Discount 20% off FAQ, Spring 2007 edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The unofficial Deep Discount 20% off FAQ, Spring 2007 edition

DVD Talk's Affiliate Link to DeepDiscount

Updated June 5, 2007

It's almost time again (we think) for this summer's Deep Discount 20% off sale. There's a twist this time, as since the last sale Deep Discount merged their DVD and CD sites and added books to their new store. This means that if the sale does happen, we won't know what will and will not be a part of it until the sale begins. This FAQ will be updated as we find out the info.

Got it? Good. On we go!

Traditionally the summer sale starts on the second Thursday of June around 4pm eastern time. This time the sale will begin on Friday, June 1st. In order to assist our newer members (and to avoid multiple threads starting up), I present to you the Spring 2007 edition of the unofficial Deep Discount 20% off sale FAQ. If you have any questions that aren't covered in the FAQ, please post them in this thread, where they will be answered and added to the FAQ. If you'd like to help clarify anything in the FAQ, please do so.

If you want to complain about why you don't like DD, go to the stores forum.

Keep the bashing and "I had a bad experience" stuff out of this thread, please. I will be monitoring the thread closely, and I won't hesitate to report any threadcrappers / troublemakers / trolls to Pilot.

Please remember that this information is based on previous sales, and DD can change conditions at their discretion including and up to not even having the sale.

Q What is the big deal, anyway?
A For a few years now DD has held a major sale twice a year, usually in June and November. You get 20% off the purchase of almost every currently available DVD. With DD's already low prices, this can turn out to be great savings.

Q "Almost every currently available"???
A Yes. Sometimes a company might request that their movies not be included in the sale. I have no idea why they'd do this, but that's what happened in the fall of 2005 when ADV Films (a major distributor of anime, as well as the Farscape DVD series) requested to not be involved in the sale, and in the June 2006 sale Media Blasters (another anime distributor) made a similar request and had their products were completely removed from the Deep Discount site for the duration of the sale, and ADV left their anime titles but pulled their Farscape Starburst editions a couple days in. Some lucky buyers managed to order pulled releases right when the sale started, and others were able to call DD and convince an unknowing customer service rep to take a discounted order for the items. It's quite possible that ADV or Media Blasters will back out of future sales as well, so grab those films up as soon as the sale starts.

Q What about pre-orders?
A Pre-orders do not quallify for the 20% off. If the item you want is released during the sale, however, you can order it once it's officially released and get the discount.

Q What about items that are out of stock?
A Yes, out of stock items are included in the sale. As a matter of fact many popular items will go out of stock within the first 3 or 4 days of the sale, and will go on backorder. Even if the item doesn't ship until after the sale ends, you will still be charged the sale price.

Q Does this work with other sales that DD is having?
A It has in the past. That of course is no guarantee that it will in the future.

Q What about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?
A Yes, those are usually included in the sale.

Q What about non DVD item on the DD site?
A Media storage (racks and cases), UMD's and posters have traditionally been part of the sale. Toys and video games are not included. For the 2007 sale (the first time since DD started carrying books and CD's), DD selected a large number of books and CD's and gave them a temproary price cut of 20%, but it was not a blanket discount on all available items.

Q Any other limitations?
A Yes, you can't order more than 5 of any one title in one order. DD reserves the right to further limit quantities at their discretion.

Q So when does it start?
A Usually the second Thursday of the month at 4pm Eastern time, but as with everything else this can change at Deep Discount's whim.

Q How long does the sale run?
A Usually anywhere from 8 to 10 days.

Q So how will I know when the next sale starts?
A There will be a thread on the main page of the Bargains Forum. It usually goes up anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours before the sale kicks off. The announcement of the June 2006 sale was first made in the FAQ thread. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not start threads asking when the sale will begin. It's considered bad form, and you will be verbally abused by many people until the thread is locked. This is a major event, so trust me when I say that you will not miss the announcement if you are a regular visitor to the forums. If DD has your e-mail address on file, you will receive several e-mails from them during the course of the sale.

Q How do I get my 20% off?
A At the checkout screen there is a place for you to enter a checkout code. Enter your code and the 20% discount will be applied to all eligible items. The box to enter the code is on your first checkout page where you select shipping. It is directly under the 4 shipping options. Some people have said that the box does not show up for them. In that case, it is recommended that you clear your cache and try again. If that fails, try a different browser (most of these complaints come from FireFox users).

Q What is the code?
A There are several different codes, a list of them will be posted in the thread announcing the sale. You can use each code one time during the sale. Usually the codes are the same from sale to sale, sometimes a few will change as different groups sponsor the event. Here's some of the codes that have been used:

DVDTALK
USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
DVDPRICESEARCH
SUMMERSALE
YAHOO
ESPN
LATIMES
XM
SOUTHSIDE
WGN
JIM

PLEASE PAY SPECIAL NOTICE TO THIS: If you plan on placing multiple orders, please use the code "DVDTALK" for your largest order. Deep Discount uses these codes to track how people find out about the sale, so the more attention and dollars that come from DVDTalk.com the better for all of us. You don't want ads appearing inside your posts again, do you? Also, please use the DVDTalk merchant link at the top of the FAQ. That gives even more money to this site.

Q Is this one of those sales where the prices are raised the night before?
A Over the last few years, that has been a hotly debated topic here at DVDTalk. In March of 06 a thread was started to track prices throughout the next few months to see if any were raised when the sale begain. The final verdict seems to be that 99% of the prices remained the same or went down. The other 1% consisted of prices that went up - sometimes only a few cents, other times high enough that you weren't saving anything from the regular price after 20% off - and some titles were changed from available to having a new release date. Some of these were planned price drops, others looked to be items DDD was witholding from the sale. Another price comparison thread was run for the November 06 sale with generally the same results. A few items became very expensive, and Deep Discount rectified that situation when it was brought to their attention.

Many times when someone complains of a price increase, it's actually because the title in question was part of another sale that ended before the 20% sale began.

Q So these are the best prices I'll get all year?
A Of course not. You can always count on great Black Friday deals, pre-Christmas sales from Amazon.com, etc. The difference is that the DD sale is on practically everything, whereas other sales are more specific (BBC shows, TV shows on DVD from a certain studio, etc). Make sure to check around and see if you're getting the best price.

Q What about DVD Planet?
A DVDPlanet.com usually answers DD's sale with a 20% sale of their own, usually starting after DD's. Both companies have bargains, each one will have particular items they will have lower prices on. For example, DVDPlanet has a reputation of having lower prices on Criterion DVD's.

Q I checked around, and I can buy something cheaper than DD's listed price. Can I price match and then get the 20% taken off the new price?
A No. You can either price match or get 20% off according to DDD's guidelines. However some people have reported that they were able to convince the DD rep they dealt with to take 20% off as well. This is definitely a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation, and do not expect it to work. Also, remember that DD will pricematch the entire price, which means they include shipping costs if you're pricematching an online site.

Q I've read that some people have had bad experiences with Deep Discount, how safe is it to order from them?
A With a company this large, doing hundreds of transactions a day (probably more, especially during big sales), there's bound to be mistakes made. 99.999999+% of the time, a quick phone call or e-mail to DD gets the problem fixed. For every bad experience, you will find many, many accounts of positive experiences.

Q I haven't received an order confirmation, usually I have one within a few minutes!
A As it says at checkout, you get an order confirmation within 24 hours. Wait that long, maybe even 36 hours, before being concerned that your order didn't go through. Keep a list of what you ordered so that you can place the order again if necessary. If the possibility of this happening really concerns you, don't place an order at the last minute.

Q It's been 10 business days and I haven't received my order yet!
A 10 days after you placed your order or 10 days after you received a shipping notice? Remember, this is one of the busiest times for DD. While the speed of UPS or the USPS isn't changed by it, the time it takes to process and fill your order does. So while we're all accustomed to getting an order confirmation immediately and having a shipping notice in 24-48 hours, it could take up to a week just for the warehouse to put your order together. So remember to base your expectations off of the date your order was shipped, not placed.

The closer you are to DDD's warehouse (I assume it's located at their listed address of Itasca, IL), the faster you will get your items. If you live somewhere like California or Florida, you'll probably be closer to the 10 business days if not a little longer. In cases like this, it's strongly recommended that you build up a big order and pay the extra few bucks to have it shipped priority mail. Sometimes, if you place a large enough order, DDD will automatically upgrade it to UPS 2 day shipping as it's cheaper to send that route instead of going through the USPS. It's generally believed that the physical size of the order is what DD uses to decide when to upgrade your shipping, but obviously we are not going to get confirmation from DD because that could result in people taking advantage of the situation.

Q It's been a week since I placed my order, and when I check the status everything is still "in process."
A See the above answer. This is a busy time for DD, and although they normally have an order processed and ready to ship in a day or two, it takes longer and longer as the sale goes on and orders build up.

Q Is there anything else I should know about?
A Yes.

1. If you get your items and the print-out happens to list something as shipped, but then someone at the warehouse has written next to it (or stamped) something like "not available, will ship soon," call DD immediately. This happened to me with an order and if I hadn't called it never would have shipped as their computer had it listed as being sent to me, then someone later down the line found that it wasn't available at the moment.

2. When your order arrives, get the packing list and make sure that your entire order arrived. You should do this any time you have an order consisting of many items, but it especially applies during the sale.

Q What other resources should I take advantage of when checking on prices or things to buy?
A Your biggest resource is right here in the DVDTalk Bargains forum, where many of your fellow DVDTalkers share info. Speedy1961 posts the weekly deals to be found at Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City. There are threads dedicated to people listing what they have bought so far during the sale. There's posts detailing bargains in other stores.

There's also DavisDVD.com, where you can get a detailed list of most of the new releases each week. It's not uncommon for people to go back a few months or so in the listings to see if anything snuck out to the shelves that they were unaware of.
http://www.davisdvd.com/weekly/calendar.html

Also if you are looking for ideas you can search the DVD Talk Review Database as well as check out the highest rated DVDs given DVD Talk's Collector Series Rating

You can find reviews of HD and Blu-Ray titles here

Another important detail is to make a wish list at Deep Discount's web site. Actually you can make it anywhere, but it makes the most sense to have it on DD's site as you can just pull it up and buy titles off of it instead of having to look each one up individually.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 06-05-07 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mention "currently available" DVD's. Does that mean that items that are out of stock don't qualify? I can't remember from years past.

PS. Great FAQ! Thanks for taking the time out to do this twice every year.
Old 05-31-07, 11:50 AM

Also, will DVDPlanet be having the sale as well? BTW nice job!
Old 05-31-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
You mention "currently available" DVD's. Does that mean that items that are out of stock don't qualify? I can't remember from years past.

PS. Great FAQ! Thanks for taking the time out to do this twice every year.

Out of stock and/or backordered titles can be included in your order(s) and will definitely get the 20% off when they are eventually shipped.

Last edited by marty888; 05-31-07 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 12:14 PM

Awesome FAQ. One thing I would add for the DDD newbs, is to create a wish list now. That way when the sale does start, they will be able to place there order quickly before items are sold out.
Old 05-31-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Out of stock items do qualify. As long as you purchase during the sale, they will fulfill your order as they become available.

DVDPlanet.com joined in this 20% off sale for the very first time last winter and then they delayed announcing it until it was well underway at DeepDiscount. No word yet on if they plan to participate again.
Old 05-31-07, 01:16 PM

If DVDPlanet matches the 20% off sale, won't that be the cheapest place to pick up Criterions?
Old 05-31-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Every time there is a DDD 20% sale, we get a couple of ooberlong threads here where everybody posts their purchases. Those are great and all for remembering titles we might never had thought of. But what I would like to see, considering that this is the bargains forum, is a thread just for confirmed great deals. Like where DD was already the cheapest vendor and the 20% just made it that much sweeter.

Of course validating that each posting to such a thread represent a true bargain or just one buyer's ignorance of other options would be a lot of work which I ain't volunteering for. I just thought I would throw the idea out there in case anyone else was thinking the same thing.
Old 05-31-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hotwls13
Awesome FAQ. One thing I would add for the DDD newbs, is to create a wish list now. That way when the sale does start, they will be able to place there order quickly before items are sold out.
Eh no biggee if they sell out, almost every single title is eventually restocked. The 20% discount works on back-orders with no problem.
Old 05-31-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Every time there is a DDD 20% sale, we get a couple of ooberlong threads here where everybody posts their purchases. Those are great and all for remembering titles we might never had thought of. But what I would like to see, considering that this is the bargains forum, is a thread just for confirmed great deals. Like where DD was already the cheapest vendor and the 20% just made it that much sweeter.
I agree. Past threads get so unwieldy and pointless as the sale drags on.
Old 05-31-07, 02:15 PM
Suspended

What about HD Titles?

Never had a HD player before, so never checked, but are HD titles usually in this sale?

Councelor
Old 05-31-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Councelor
Never had a HD player before, so never checked, but are HD titles usually in this sale?

Councelor
They were during the last sale.
Old 05-31-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is anyone doing a price watch thread this year?

IIRC, it was more than 1% that experienced price increases prior to the sale.
Old 05-31-07, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Originally Posted by Councelor

Councelor
They were during the last sale.
Curses DDD!! Now I know my wallet will be in DEEP DEEP DASTARDLY trouble this sale!

Councelor
Old 05-31-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki

No, there was no price watch thread this time. I checked when I started working on the new FAQ, and by then it was really too late to start a new thread. The thread is really only effective if we have a couple months to track things.

As for the 1%, when you take into account the insignificant raises (less than a buck), and things that did fall back down either when the sale started or when DD was notified), it was a very low percentage... especially when you take into account how many titles DD carries and that most of the attention was put on the popular titles.

Finally, even in most of the cases where the price was raised and not lowered, the 20% off was still a good deal. It might not have been as good a deal as people wanted, but it was still a good deal.
Old 05-31-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"ooberlong"?
Old 05-31-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki

I noticed this recently and doubt it has to do with an upcoming sale, but the MST3K collections have all gone up about $5 each. Perhaps it is due to the increased desirability of these sets, as many are becoming harder and harder to find at B&M's (even the major Borders in Omaha was completely sold out of all MST3K) and several have gone OOP.
Old 05-31-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Out of stock and/or backordered titles can be included in your order(s) and will definitely get the 20% off when they are eventually shipped.
Thanks!
Old 05-31-07, 03:56 PM

MST3K ???? Sorry I don't get the code on that.
Old 05-31-07, 04:13 PM

DDD raised the prices on almost all of their movies by a very small amount (in the neighborhood of 10 cents for most movies, probably by 1%) about one month ago.
Old 05-31-07, 04:18 PM
Defunct Account

Movieexchange: Could you add a link to Deep Discount with the DVDTalk affiliate code to the first posting? Using the 'DVDTALK' code helps track where people are seeing the sale info, but it's my understanding that the affiliate link actually puts cash into DVDTalk's coffers.
Old 05-31-07, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by fhdavid52
MST3K ???? Sorry I don't get the code on that.
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Old 05-31-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by videophile
Movieexchange: Could you add a link to Deep Discount with the DVDTalk affiliate code to the first posting? Using the 'DVDTALK' code helps track where people are seeing the sale info, but it's my understanding that the affiliate link actually puts cash into DVDTalk's coffers.
Sure thing, as soon as someone tell me how to do it :-)
Old 05-31-07, 04:41 PM
Defunct Account

I'd be happy to, but I'm not sure either. I'll see if I can find out.
Old 05-31-07, 04:44 PM
Suspended

I'll be looking for HDDVD deals.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.