Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Masters of Horror Season 1 Box Set

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by SPIDERone
I've only seen one of the films (Imprint) but enjoyed it -- is this set a safe 'blind buy' or are the movies in it pretty hit and miss?
Movies are pretty hit and miss... but everyone has different tastes.
Old 08-24-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I've only seen one of the films (Imprint) but enjoyed it -- is this set a safe 'blind buy' or are the movies in it pretty hit and miss?
If you go into this thinking your watching an anthology show like Tales From the Crypt you'll probably like it. If you go into it thinking your watching 13 movies from some of the greatest horror directors of all-time then you'll probably be disappointed.
Old 08-25-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by actionjackson29
If you go into this thinking your watching an anthology show like Tales From the Crypt you'll probably like it. If you go into it thinking your watching 13 movies from some of the greatest horror directors of all-time then you'll probably be disappointed.
That just about describes Masters of Horror.

I’m still debating whether or not I’m buying this set.
Old 08-25-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by actionjackson29
If you go into this thinking your watching an anthology show like Tales From the Crypt you'll probably like it.
Agreed. Thats how I went into the series, and actually enjoyed it.
Old 08-25-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ill pick it up. held off buying individually. might wait for ddd sale.
Old 08-29-07, 02:35 PM

Heads-up for anybody that picks up this set:

As noticed by Squall280 in the DVDBargains forum, it seems there might be some poorly-handled discs inside of the boxsets; ones either covered in fingerprints or light to moderate scratches. My set had 2 of these discs that were bad off and covered in light scratches.. the other 12 also had a good amount of paper/cardboard dust covering the bottom of the discs (this came off easily with a wipe from a microfiber cloth though).

I know that some people like to keep their DVDs sealed until they get to watching them, but you might want to take a peak at them and make sure they're not affected.

Wal Mart is also selling the half-season sets (6 episodes per set, meaning the bonus disc and imprint arent included) for $19.xx a piece. These discs might not be affected, as I'm guessing a lot of this is related to the paper/cardboard packaging of the discs inside of the full boxset.
Old 08-29-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would rather hold off until the 20% off sale on this one - even if it's limited to 20,000 copies, I would assume the set will still be available in December?
Old 08-29-07, 04:13 PM

I'm sure you could still locate one somewhere in December, but I'm guessing it might not be on store shelves for too long.

Regarding the issue I posted above, I went in to exchange those 2 discs (Chocolate/Cigarette Burns). They opened a new set and checked those same discs, only to see they had the same problem - assuming it was the way they opened the set (upside down, causing all discs to fall out onto the table/floor) they had me get another set which looked just as bad on those 2 discs. My guess is that it might have affected a high number of copies of those specific discs, so again be sure to check them and make sure they play fine/look okay.
Old 08-29-07, 04:24 PM

hmmm. Wondering if i should get this or the blu ray release coming out in oct.
or both
Old 08-29-07, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by marcellusk
hmmm. Wondering if i should get this or the blu ray release coming out in oct.
or both
I was debating the same thing - I went for this release due to the box design and release dates (I believe the Blu Ray sets will get 2 in October (3 episodes each) and 2 more in December (3 episodes each)).

I'm wondering just how much better the Blu Ray discs will look. I'm not too impressed with the quality on the DVDs (but I'm sure a lot of that comes from low-light scenes) and wondering just how much better the Blu Rays will be on this set.
Old 08-29-07, 07:32 PM

I was debating the same thing - I went for this release due to the box design and release dates (I believe the Blu Ray sets will get 2 in October (3 episodes each) and 2 more in December (3 episodes each)).
I ended up getting it...$49.99 isn't to shabby and yes the box design is gonna be a conversation piece. i will still probably buy the blu rays but i thought that it was only gonna be two volumes for season one? so now its' gonna be 4? that's gonna cost about $100 for season one of the blu rays alone
Old 08-29-07, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by marcellusk
I ended up getting it...$49.99 isn't to shabby and yes the box design is gonna be a conversation piece. i will still probably buy the blu rays but i thought that it was only gonna be two volumes for season one? so now its' gonna be 4? that's gonna cost about $100 for season one of the blu rays alone
It's a bit strange how they decided to do it, but Season 1 is available in the boxset (13 movies + Bonus disc) or as 2 separate DVD volumes (6 discs each, meaning Imprint isn't available in the set and neither is the Bonus disc). The separate volumes (6 discs) are available for $19.xx this week at Wal Mart, but I figured that I could spend $10 more for the 2 extra discs and neat box.

The Blu Ray releases will be spread across 4 volumes:

* Masters of Horror - Season 1, Volume I (October 16th)
1. "Cigarette Burns" (John Carpenter)
2. "Dreams in the Witch House" (Stuart Gordon)
3. "Fair Haired Child" (William Malone)

* Masters of Horror - Season 1, Volume II (October 16th)
1. "Jenifer" (Dario Argento)
2. "Sick Girl" (Lucky McKee)
3. "Deer Woman" (John Landis)

* Masters of Horror - Season 1, Volume III (November 13th)
1. "Incident On and Off A Mountain Road" (Don Coscarelli)
2. "Dance of the Dead" (Tobe Hooper)
3. "Pick Me Up" (Larry Cohen)

* Masters of Horror - Season 1, Volume IV (December 11th)
1. "Imprint" (Takashi Miike)
2. "Homecoming" (Joe Dante)
3. "Haeckel's Tale" (John McNaughton)
4. "Chocolate" (Mick Garris)
Old 08-30-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Worth the wait! I got no problem with the box! its cool looking and enough having it with a protective platic shell casing.
Old 08-30-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got the Box set & I think it’s really cool, despite the DVDs being in the cardboard slips. This is the one exception where I don’t mind the discs being in the cardboard slips. I’m glad the box wasn’t huge, you can never tell with the promotional photos.

At future Shop they only had the Masters of Horror, season one split up into the two volumes & it was priced at $40 a vol. which would have been around $90 with tax. I decided to go over to CD plus & they had one copy of the season one box set & I got it for $68.92 w/tax.

I wonder if they are going to release season two in a box set?
Old 08-30-07, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
I thought I read a while ago that it was limited to 20,000 copies. Apparently each individual set isn't numbered though, so it makes me wonder...

I got the same question in mind. We'll just see what will happen in the next couple of months if this would OOP or not
Old 08-30-07, 10:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I love horror, but never saw any other these. Debating on a blind buy of the season box at BB, as I have a bunch of SOE RZ certs to burn.
Old 08-30-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wal Mart is also selling the half-season sets (6 episodes per set, meaning the bonus disc and imprint arent included) for $19.xx a piece. These discs might not be affected, as I'm guessing a lot of this is related to the paper/cardboard packaging of the discs inside of the full boxset.
Does anybody know how the half-season sets are packaged? Keepcases? Slim-cases? Crapboard cases?
Old 08-30-07, 09:55 PM

picked this up on release day as a BB, and couldnt be more pleased.

although i havent finished all the episodes yet, i have found the first few very enjoyable. I am a huge horror buff, and am familiar with most of these directors, which might help with the enjoyability, but I recommend this to anyone leaning on the edge.

packaging is nice to look at and the discs are easily accessible, although I am not a huge fan of the cardboard sleeves. I also searched through all the discs to see for any scratches because of concern, but was relieved to find none.

my minnie review
Heart.
Old 08-30-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just ordered it off Amazon as a blind buy. After reading some of these reviews, I'm starting to sweat a little.

Big fan of horror in the zombie/Lovecraft/Barker vein. Slasher flicks, not so much.
Old 08-31-07, 12:35 AM

I watched Imprint for the first time today and wow, that really disturbed me and I couldn't look away from the screen after about the 30 minute mark.
Old 08-31-07, 07:40 AM

I got my set from Best Buy and my discs all had dust on them, but also some holding slots had 2 jackets each shoved in them. It looked as if they just shoved everything together in the box and shipped it out. As far as I know all the discs are ok.
My one complant about the set and it's a small one, is that there were 2 dinner chats that were filmed. The one thats on the bonus disc is the second one after the first season was filmed and already shown. There was another one filmed and shown to promote the first season. It ran about 15 minutes, with some good insight into why Mick and company started the show, and the state of horror films today.
Old 08-31-07, 06:54 PM

Ordered my set from DVDPlanet, and the discs in my set were fine, so this looks like a YMMV situation.
For those blind buyers out there, if you're a horror fan (and a fan of these directors) you'll really enjoy this set. IMHO, the extras alone are worth it. Each disc has a retrospective with the director, and I found those really facinating, with the director himself talking about his career.
A couple have some old Mick Garris interviews (one of them with Barbara Steele which I thought was cool--I'd never seen her outside of her acting)
For Season one, I think the solid epsisodes far outweigh the weak.
Carpenter, Argento, Miike, Hooper, Landis, Gordon, McKee, Malone, all very entertaining episodes.
Old 08-31-07, 09:38 PM

Is this really limited to 20,000?

Originally Posted by xage

Worth the wait! I got no problem with the box! its cool looking and enough having it with a protective platic shell casing.
Old 09-01-07, 08:18 PM

I was wondering if maybe it was just this mausoleum special packaging that was limited to 20,000 and regular sets would follow?
Old 09-01-07, 11:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Cool set but I will just hold off for the Blu-ray versions, even though they will be bare bones.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.