Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Keith Richards snorts father

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keith Richards says he snorted father's ashes
Stones guitarist mixed remains with cocaine — ‘it went down pretty well’

LONDON - Keith Richards has acknowledged consuming a raft of illegal substances in his time, but this may top them all.

In comments published Tuesday, the 63-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist said he had snorted his father’s ashes mixed with cocaine.

“The strangest thing I’ve tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father,” Richards was quoted as saying by British music magazine NME.

“He was cremated, and I couldn’t resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn’t have cared,” he said, adding that “it went down pretty well, and I’m still alive.”

Richards’ father, Bert, died in 2002, at 84.

Richards, one of rock’s legendary wild men, told the magazine that his survival was the result of luck, and advised young musicians against trying to emulate him.

“I did it because that was the way I did it. Now people think it’s a way of life,” he was quoted as saying.

“I’ve no pretensions about immortality,” he added. “I’m the same as everyone ... just kind of lucky.

“I was No. 1 on the ‘who’s likely to die’ list for 10 years. I mean, I was really disappointed when I fell off the list,” Richards said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 04-03-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That sure is something...
Old 04-03-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. I thought Richards was supposedly "clean" (i.e. no drugs) for the past 20 years!
Old 04-03-07, 04:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Other
Old 04-03-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Other
Although it should be here...
Old 04-03-07, 05:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

It's not really about music - more about drugs &/or depravity - but for an easy life I guess it'll have to stay here!

Edit: I note that the Other thread was started several minutes later.

Last edited by benedict; 04-06-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 05:31 PM

Old 04-03-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Wow. I thought Richards was supposedly "clean" (i.e. no drugs) for the past 20 years!
Well I didn't think he was clean in the '80s, but I certainly thought he'd stopped snorting coke in the '90s.
Old 04-03-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if Keith got the idea from that one episode of "Six Feet Under," where some Hollywood starlet OD's on coke and her friends decide to honor her by snorting her ashes.

As for Keith ever completely stopping with drugs, I doubt it; I think he admitted he tried heroin again during the Bridges to Babylon tour, but I could be wrong on that. Not like it'll make any difference though; I'm fairly convinced he can even come out of a nuclear strike totally unscathed.
Old 04-03-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best news of the year
Old 04-04-07, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/155...g_stones.jhtml

Apr 3 2007 7:38 PM EDT

Did Keith Richards Really Snort His Dad's Ashes? No — It Was A Joke!

Comments made in magazine interview were only 'said in jest,' manager tells MTV News.

By Kurt Loder

Maybe you saw that Keith Richards item that started popping up all over the place on Tuesday (April 3) — the one about how he'd admitted to snorting the ashes of his late father after his body had been cremated? Great story, right? And yet, like so much in the world of celebrity journalism, totally untrue.

In case you missed it, this little yarn first appeared in the pages of London's notoriously unreliable New Musical Express. The magazine quoted the Rolling Stones guitarist as saying, "The strangest thing I've tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father. He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared. ... It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive."

This wildly dubious quote proved irresistible to newspapers, wire services and TV and online outlets on both sides of the Atlantic, from The Associated Press to Forbes, The Drudge Report, Breitbart and E! Online. In fact, it was such a great story that nobody bothered trying to confirm it with a Richards representative — why spoil the fun with facts?

In a buzz-killing mood, though, we decided to check with Richards' longtime manager, Jane Rose. We asked her about the dad-snorting quotes in the NME interview. She responded with an e-mail:

"Said in jest," she explained. "Can't believe anyone took [it] seriously."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/155...g_stones.jhtml
Old 04-04-07, 06:30 AM

Strangely enough, I find the thought of him joking about it more obscene than if he'd actually done the deed.
Old 04-04-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny, last year all the "april fool's" jokes came out the week BEFORE April Fools! This year, they're coming out the week after April Fools!!!

Does anyone ever do these April Fools jokes on April 1st anymore?
Old 04-04-07, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not believing this was a joke. More probably a panicked publicist trying to make Richards appear less like a drug addled loon.
Old 04-04-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We just updated this story with a comment from Richard himself, btw.

And now, this just in from Keith Richards himself, who says, "The complete story is lost in the usual slanting." As for the actual use to which his father's ashes were put, he said, "The truth of the matter is that I planted a sturdy English Oak. I took the ... ashes [and sprinkled them beneath the tree], and he is now growing oak trees and he would love me for it!"

As for the ashes-and-cocaine-snorting story he told the NME, Richards said, "I was trying to say how tight Bert and I were — that tight!

"I wouldn't take cocaine at this point in my life," he added, "unless I wished to commit suicide."

Last edited by BJacks; 04-04-07 at 01:50 PM.