Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

One of my Top 5 albums of last year - Amy Winehouse's Back To Black - finally gets a US release tomorrow. I've been listening to it for a few months now and absolutely love it. It's the retro soul album Christina Aguilera wishes she made.

The Entertainment Weekly review of the CD (A-, btw) says that "Addicted" was left off of the album for no apparent reason, which is a shame. But we do get one bonus track - the version of "You Know I'm No Good" with Ghostface Killah.

It's on sale for around $8 at the major retailers this week. For that price, this album's a steal.
Old 03-12-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I downloaded one track from allofmp3.com before my balance ran out and I loved it. For 8 bucks this would be a CD quite worth owning...thanks for the reminder that this is coming out!
Old 04-11-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
All right, so I'm sold on Amy Winehouse, picked up the CD. I have to say, though, that this is some of the worst sound quality I've ever heard on a CD. What's with all the distortion?
Old 04-12-07, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She was going for a 60's girlband sound, like the crappy "wall of sound" thing Spector is famous for.

Try out her first album Frank. It's more R&B but good nonetheless.
Old 04-12-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Naw, this was recording quality. I understand the sound she's going for, but this is breaking up at the high end. A fault of the pressing, I'm pretty sure.
Old 04-12-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
She's got a great voice, no doubt. But it's a shame that it seems as if she'll end up with alcohol poisoning sooner than later.

I watched a BBC 1 performance she did, and after each song she would take a gulp of something in a clear dixie cup. By the end of the show she was basically mumbling to the music.
Old 04-12-07, 11:29 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I've been listening to this album all month. Great stuff.
Old 04-12-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

awesome retro sound with a freshness to it.

Sounds great, very sexy. It doesnt sound fake, like many retro bands or albums end up sounding. They usually end up sounding like a mimic of the music they are trying to sound like. Very rarely do they actually end up sounding like they could have came from the same period.

I dig her...alot.
Old 04-12-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
She's got a great voice, no doubt. But it's a shame that it seems as if she'll end up with alcohol poisoning sooner than later.

I watched a BBC 1 performance she did, and after each song she would take a gulp of something in a clear dixie cup. By the end of the show she was basically mumbling to the music.
That's too bad. Just got introduced to her music and this is the type of performer that I could never get sick of.
Old 04-13-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
For those digging her disc, you'll want to check out Mark Ronson's upcoming album Version (he produced Winehouse's album and some of Lilly Allen's songs). It's a bunch of cover songs, but with an upbeat 60's soul vibe to it. Winehouse and Allen both lend vocals to the album.

It's already been leaked. Good stuff. Hope it gets a US release.

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
Naw, this was recording quality. I understand the sound she's going for, but this is breaking up at the high end. A fault of the pressing, I'm pretty sure.
I doubt it's a faulty pressing. I got a rip of the album (from the UK version, likely) last year and thought the same about the quality. The US CD that I bought sounds exactly the same. If it was a bad pressing when it was originally released, you'd think they'd fix it.

Still, I love this album.
Old 04-22-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Late bloomer here. Just heard it for the first time this weekend in it's entirety. This album is the shit. Wow wow wow!!! Very retro, very very cool.
Old 04-22-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Just heard it yesterday.

HOLY CRAP this shit is good!

BTW, the alt rock station on XM is playing REHAB, and the TOP 20 station has IM NO GOOD in heavy rotation, so she's getting some mainstream (sattelite) pop
Old 04-23-07, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the album a couple of days ago, and for the life of me cannot figure out why this has a parental advisory sticker on it? I didnt' hear any swearing at all on the disc, or maybe i need to give it more listens. Nice change of pace compared to the stuff i usually listen to. This is actually stuff that my mom would like as well (very 60's motown sound)
Old 04-23-07, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I bought the album a couple of days ago, and for the life of me cannot figure out why this has a parental advisory sticker on it? I didnt' hear any swearing at all on the disc, or maybe i need to give it more listens. Nice change of pace compared to the stuff i usually listen to. This is actually stuff that my mom would like as well (very 60's motown sound)
Listen harder to Me & Mr. Jones, I'm No Good, and a couple others. SHe drops several F bombs, S bombs, and others lol.
Old 04-23-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Me too. I do not listen to this kind of music but damn, it's so infectious. I keep going back and forth from the new NIN to Amy. Night and day.
Old 04-23-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I promise I'm not trying to threadcrap but I can't understand why everyone thinks she is so great. I saw this video of her and Charlotte Church singing "Beat It" (Featured below) and I thought she was absolutely awful. I then opened this thread and could not believe what I was reading. So I said to myself, "Maybe she had a bad night or was a little drunk or something." No, her album sounds the same way. I mean, I hear that the music is interesting, a cool 60s Motown sound and all but her voice is atrocious.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2vfdl7-E80Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2vfdl7-E80Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 04-23-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I promise I'm not trying to threadcrap but I can't understand why everyone thinks she is so great. I saw this video of her and Charlotte Church singing "Beat It" (Featured below) and I thought she was absolutely awful. I then opened this thread and could not believe what I was reading. So I said to myself, "Maybe she had a bad night or was a little drunk or something." No, her album sounds the same way. I mean, I hear that the music is interesting, a cool 60s Motown sound and all but her voice is atrocious.
Actually, she was wasted like a motherfucker in that vid. I mean, wouldn't you have to be 1) to sing "Beat It" and 2) to be on Charlotte Church's TV special and have there not be any boob feel-age?
Old 04-23-07, 12:07 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
That video is just pathetic.

My wife likes the album a lot, but as far as I'm concerned Winehouse is a horrible singer and a general waste of oxygen as a person.
Old 04-23-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You cannot compare her singing in that video to the album. You just can't. And as far as calling her a waste of oxygen, I'll take her over 95% of the crap on the airwaves and charts any day.
Old 04-23-07, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
You cannot compare her singing in that video to the album. You just can't. And as far as calling her a waste of oxygen, I'll take her over 95% of the crap on the airwaves and charts any day.
I'm familiar with her albums, so I'm therefore familiar with her vocals in as ideal environment as possible. The 'waste of oxygen' comment was more in reference to her public behavior than her music, which I consider lame and inferior to 95% of what gets played at my house on a given day. But pardon me for expressing an opinion contrary to yours.
Old 04-23-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course you can't, the album is cleaned up and edited to make her a good singer.
Old 04-23-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When you smoke all my weed man...

I think both her CDs are great. I don't know much about her as a celebrity, but her CDs are fantastic and that's all I care about. I am very grateful to a friend for nagging me to check her out. I listened to Back to Black and ordered Frank the next day. I only wish there were more songs for me to get.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-23-07 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I'm familiar with her albums, so I'm therefore familiar with her vocals in as ideal environment as possible. The 'waste of oxygen' comment was more in reference to her public behavior than her music, which I consider lame and inferior to 95% of what gets played at my house on a given day. But pardon me for expressing an opinion contrary to yours.
I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about her album and not her as a celebrity. What does that have to do with her music? If I gave a crap how some of my favorite artists/singers behaved in public, I probably wouldn't listen to any of them.
Old 04-23-07, 04:54 PM

I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about her album and not her as a celebrity. What does that have to do with her music?
My original post (the one to which you took exception) devoted five words to her video performance, nine to her celebrity 'status' and 18 to my opinion of her last album. In other words, the bulk of my post was on the same topic as this thread.
Old 04-23-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
She says

"What kind of fuckery is this?"

about 10 times in Me and Mr Jones.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.