Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Elliott Smith: New Moon (Rarities 2xCD) - 5/08/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from pitchforkmedia:

Exclusive: Elliott Smith Rarities Due on Kill Rock Stars

Happy Valentine's Day, Elliott Smith fans! Kill Rock Stars has delivered a priceless gift, better than chocolate, flowers, and diamonds combined. On May 8, the label that helped launch Smith's career will release New Moon, a two-disc collection of songs recorded in 1995-1997, the period concurrent with the making of Smith's classic KRS albums Elliott Smith and Either/Or.

A portion of the proceeds from sales of New Moon will go to Outside In, a Portland, Oregon social service agency helping homeless youth.

New Moon was mixed by Smith's longtime friend and collaborator, producer/engineer Larry Crane, who also serves as the archivist for Smith's estate.

In a press release, Kill Rock Stars noted that the Los Angeles Police Department's investigation into Smith's death on October 21, 2003 remains open. The mystery and legend of Elliott Smith continues to grow.

New Moon tracklist:

Disc One:

01 Angel in the Snow
02 Talking to Mary
03 High Times
04 New Monkey
05 Looking Over My Shoulder
06 Going Nowhere
07 Riot Coming
08 All Cleaned Out
09 First Timer
10 Go By
11 Miss Misery (Early Version)
12 Thirteen

Disc Two:

01 Georgia Georgia
02 Whatever (Folk Song in C)
03 Big Decision
04 Placeholder
05 New Disaster
06 Seen How Things Are Hard
07 Fear City
08 Either/Or
09 Pretty Mary K (Other Version)
10 Almost Over
11 See You Later
12 Half Right

Last edited by auto; 04-16-07 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad there is not a good version of I Figured you Out on there.
Old 02-14-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
"In a press release, Kill Rock Stars noted that the Los Angeles Police Department's investigation into Smith's death on October 21, 2003 remains open. The mystery and legend of Elliott Smith continues to grow. "

Oh, come on. I can't believe he didn't kill himself considering his lifelong obsession with the idea of it; half his songs sound like suicide notes. I don't buy all the conspiracy theories about it. Terrible PR writing at its worst.

Nevertheless, I am interested in this CD, good to see some of the rarities coming out of the vaults.
Old 02-14-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they find two stab wounds to his chest? A popular conclusion to this is who, when trying to kill themselves, would stab themself in the chest...twice. If the first doesn't do the job immediately, you panic for a long time and writhe in pain, or die from the loss of blood.

I'm not trying to give any credibility to that claim, but I wouldn't dismiss it either.

You'd think if a guy wanted to commit suicide (yes, his lyrics were dark and depressing most of the time), he'd do it in a much more clean, and fool proof way.

Stabbing yourself in the chest? Twice? I shake my head at that.
Old 02-14-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will definitely be picking this up
Old 02-14-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I will definitely be picking this up
Me too. Haven't heard any new Elliott since the Basement II demos were released.
Old 02-14-07, 08:54 PM

I'll pick this up for sure. Thanks for the post auto!
Old 02-18-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm in as well. thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-19-07, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Excellent! From the tracklisting I counted 17 songs I already have in some incarnation as bootleg mp3s, but I'll be more than happy to buy an official release. "Fear City" and "Either/Or", to name just two, are terrific songs.
Old 02-19-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
You'd think if a guy wanted to commit suicide (yes, his lyrics were dark and depressing most of the time), he'd do it in a much more clean, and fool proof way.
You're talking about a guy who tried to commit suicide once by jumping off of a cliff. I'd think it's entirely possible.

= J
Old 02-20-07, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
You're talking about a guy who tried to commit suicide once by jumping off of a cliff. I'd think it's entirely possible.

= J

Not only that, but one might be surprised at the lengths truly, depressed, suicidal people will go to try to die. People very close to me have attempted, and succeeded, with attempts MUCH MORE strange or unexplanable than his....
Old 02-20-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino

= J
Not the same.

You jump off the cliff, depending on how high it is, you're done for. He didn't try to re-jump off that very same cliff after it didn't work, did he?

All I know is that anything is possible. But the likeliness of him stabbing himself in the chest twice, imho, is not all that much.

But then again, I've never tried to commit suicide so I'm not all too familiar with the burning desire to end my life.
Old 02-20-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ergyu
Not only that, but one might be surprised at the lengths truly, depressed, suicidal people will go to try to die. People very close to me have attempted, and succeeded, with attempts MUCH MORE strange or unexplanable than his....
I'll give you that, since you know people. But wouldn't you say this is atypical?

Maybe it's coupled with the fact that his then girlfriend was a suspect at one point (still is?) for particular reasons.
Old 04-16-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awesome track-by-track from amazon.com:

Disc One: 01. Angel In The Snow From the Jan/Feb 1995 sessions at Leslie Uppinghouse's home studio that yielded much of the S/T record. Elliott's mix appeared on a CD that came with Mike McGonigal's magazine, Yeti: Volume I.
02. Talking to Mary From the 1995 sessions at Leslie's. This is Elliott's rough mix as the master tape is sadly missing.

03. High Times From the 1995 sessions at Leslie's. An early working title was "Coma Kid". The "drums" are really just doubled snare (with the throw off loose) and ride cymbal.

04. New Monkey From sessions for Either/Or. The "bar" was certainly La Luna in Portland, with "the millions of fans ignoring the bands."

05. Looking Over My Shoulder From sessions for Either/Or. The title of this song is not certain.

06. Going Nowhere From sessions for Either/Or. Due to the limits of eight tracks you rarely get bass guitar on these sessions unless it is integral to the arrangement. One of the most haunting songs in this collection.

07. Riot Coming From the 1995 sessions at Leslie's. Notice the excellent melodic electric guitar part.

08. "All Cleaned Out" This song was tracked at Jackpot! Recording Studio in early 1997. The title is an assumption as there were no notes on or in the tape box.

09. First Timer Tracked at Jackpot! in early 1997. With different lyrics this song has seen life as "Ghost Writer" or "From a Poisoned Well". Elliott recorded the guitars too loud to tape in this collection, hence the occasional "chunk" noise.

10. Go By From sessions for Either/Or. Recorded to 8-track by Elliott in 1996, but then bounced to 2" tape by Rob and Tom where they added overdubs. It was obviously a contender for Either/Or at some point. Early versions of the song were known as "Bye Bye" and "Two Timed".

11. Miss Misery (early version) This song was tracked at Jackpot! in early 1997. It was later recut with lyric changes at Jackpot! and used in the film, Good Will Hunting.

12. Thirteen This Big Star/Alex Chilton song featured often in Elliott's live sets and in the Lucky Three short film by Jem Cohen. This version was recorded by Rob Jones and Elliott Smith in Elliott's Basement in April 1996 and was broadcast June 1, 1996, on Rob's Locals Show on KWVA 88.1 Eugene, OR. This was a simple live take with acoustic guitar and vocals.

Disc Two: 01. Georgia, Georgia From the 1995 sessions at Leslie's. Even though it was older, it was an early contender for the Either/Or running order.

02. Whatever (Folk Song in C) Apparently from the September 1994 sessions at Tony's. Features JJ Gonson's vintage Domino guitar that Elliott favored. Also known under the working title "Hanging Out With Me".

03. Big Decision From the 1995 sessions at Leslie's. Elliott's mix appeared on the CD compilation, A Slice of Lemon.

04. Placeholder From sessions for Either/Or. Sung so softly, but really beautiful.

05. New Disaster From sessions for Either/Or. Vocals and music are from different takes. Vocals are from the reel that provided From a Basement on the Hill with "Last Hour", but the tape reel flange scraping sound (which you can hear on "Last Hour") was even more distracting on this song. Music was from a later instrumental take, with organ and drums but no vocals. This is the only instance on this record where we combined takes in this manner.

06. Seen How Things Are Hard This song was actually recorded on a 4-track cassette. Mixed by Tom and Rob for possible inclusion of Either/Or. Also known under the working title, "Sleigh Bells".

07. Fear City From sessions for Either/Or. Also known as "See My City Dead". Check out the cool melodic organ part and Elliott's grooving drum style.

08. Either/Or From sessions for the album Either/Or. Apparently the song title was appropriated for the album title but not the song. There's also a version of this song with alternate lyrics called "No More".

09. Pretty Mary K (other version) From sessions for Either/Or. This is a completely different song than the Figure 8 track, but seems to feature different words with a parallel theme. An early version was worked up as "Everything's Okay" - note the similar phonetics.

10. Almost Over From sessions for Either/Or. Some of his fastest guitar picking in this collection.

11. See You Later

12. Half Right These are two Heatmiser songs from their third album, Mic City Sons, performed solo in this collection. From the Rob Jones' Locals Show sessions, "See You Later" was released on the Air Check cassette on Rob's label, Jealous Butcher.

Technical Note: Except for the special case of "New Disaster", where independent instrumental and vocal takes were combined, all songs are presented as tracked by Elliott, and every effort was made to check stereo placement, track levels, editing ideas, arrangement ideas and the overall feel that were present in his rough (or released) mixes. In many cases remixing was simply an attempt to make the elements of the song slightly more legible, and in other cases to reduce the background tape hiss. In no way is this album simply a product of the studio in 2006 - it is a collection of songs, any of which could have easily been included on his albums of 1995 or 1997.

Songs previously unreleased except for: "See You Later", Air Check cassette (1999,JB020/Jealous Butcher/limited to 300 copies) "Angel in the Snow" Yeti: Volume I (2000, 2500 issues printed/pressed) "Big Decision" - A Slice of Lemon (1995,KRS100/Kill Rock Stars, still in print)
Old 04-24-07, 11:00 AM

leaked.
haven't listened to it yet, going to wait for my vinyl copy to arrive.
Old 04-24-07, 11:09 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome. There can never be enough Elliott Smith music in the world.
Old 04-24-07, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by spinning plates
leaked.
haven't listened to it yet, going to wait for my vinyl copy to arrive.
Did you order your vinyl from the killrockstars website? Want to pick it up, not sure if anyone else is carrying it at perhaps a better price.
Old 04-25-07, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by fliggil
Did you order your vinyl from the killrockstars website?
yes. it's the best price you're going to find (especially for a 2xlp realease).
Old 05-09-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone pick this up yet? Was unable to find it today in the 2 stores i went to,not that i really expected them to carry it
Old 05-10-07, 03:13 AM
Banned

This is a pretty sweet release but the only nitpick (and it's a significant one) is that it could all fit on a single CD. There's no reason for this to be a double-disc release.

They issued it on vinyl as well which would need to be a double release and the only thing I can think of is that they wanted both editions to be 2-disc sets which is pretty ridiculous.
Old 05-10-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
This is a pretty sweet release but the only nitpick (and it's a significant one) is that it could all fit on a single CD. There's no reason for this to be a double-disc release.

They issued it on vinyl as well which would need to be a double release and the only thing I can think of is that they wanted both editions to be 2-disc sets which is pretty ridiculous.
Sometimes they release albums that could fit on a single cd as a double to make it appear to be a "special edition". I can forgive them for this, just because they are releasing more music from this awesome, awesome talent.
Old 05-18-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GuruTwo

Who cares? It cost the same as a single album. I'd rather not have 24 tracks on one CD anyhow.