Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Departed Trilogy?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Departed Trilogy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
The Departed Trilogy?

don't think this was posted.....from an article on mtv.com:

When you hear the words "prequel" and "sequel," the last name you might imagine is fiercely original filmmaker Martin Scorsese. But now, following his Golden Globe victory and unprecedented box-office success, the legendary director is reportedly considering bringing back "The Departed." "We really didn't know what to expect [when we made it]," star Mark Wahlberg said. "I'm fascinated with that [gangster] world, but I'm from that world. I didn't really think that the rest of the world would respond like it did." Revealing Scorsese's purported plans, Wahlberg added: "We may do another one, because it's based on a Hong Kong film ['Infernal Affairs'], and there is a trilogy. So we may do a sequel with a new cast, and a prequel and bring back the rest of the guys." Either movie would mark the first time Scorsese revisited one of his own films, and Wahlberg said the director is already lining up assistance from some old friends. "They're talking to Robert De Niro and a couple of other people," he said. "Anybody who is anybody wants to work with Marty."
Old 01-24-07, 01:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well... uh..

'The Departed' was basically the merging of both Infernal Affairs I and II.

I would definately see a prequel.
Old 01-24-07, 01:28 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"We really didn't know what to expect [when we made it]," star Mark Wahlberg said. "I'm fascinated with that [gangster] world, but I'm from that world."

Oh, that's choice!
Old 01-24-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 01-24-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Well I can see a prequel being made. But a sequel...? Given the ending of The Departed, I can't really seeing them go the Infernal Affairs III route with a sequel.
Old 01-24-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
The movie was pretty self-contained, I don't see the purpose of a sequel or prequel really.

It made some sense for IA (3 was pushing it), a little less sense here.
Old 01-24-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see either a sequel or a prequel getting made.......unless ofcourse they blacked out Jack Nickolson's face during the whole prequel.......good times
Old 01-24-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Well I can see a prequel being made. But a sequel...? Given the ending of The Departed, I can't really seeing them go the Infernal Affairs III route with a sequel.
We can just have two hours of Mark Wahlberg-Alec Baldwin shtick.
Old 01-24-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by redrum
don't think this was posted.....from an article on mtv.com:

When you hear the words "prequel" and "sequel," the last name you might imagine is fiercely original filmmaker Martin Scorsese.
Well, Scorsese has made a sequel before with The Color of Money. Although it was a sequel to someone else's movie (Robert Rossen's The Hustler), Scorsese making a sequel (or a remake: ex. Cape Fear) is not some hard-to-imagine event because he's done it before.
Old 01-25-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rizor
We can just have two hours of Mark Wahlberg-Alec Baldwin shtick.
Well that would be hilarious but I wonder how audiences would take to a comedy sequel of a drama.
Old 01-25-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved the Infernal Affairs trilogy, and was pleasantly surprised with the US remake, but I think that one is enough.
Old 01-31-07, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070131/film_nm/departed_dc

"Departed" on way to afterlife

By Borys Kit
52 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - With a massive bloodletting at the climax of "The Departed" that left almost no one standing, you'd think it would be hard to make a sequel. A domestic take of $125.2 million is making Warner Bros. Pictures and director Martin Scorsese think otherwise.

Talks are under way to put together a sequel to the crime thriller, which has garnered five Academy Award nominations and is Scorsese's biggest boxoffice hit in a career that spans more than four decades.

Sources say that "Departed" writer William Monahan is working on a take that would involve Dignam, the temperamental foul-mouthed cop played by Mark Wahlberg, who received an Oscar nomination for the role, and introduce a new character to be played by Robert De Niro. Sources caution that Scorsese would need to approve any take before development could move forward.

A prequel is not being ruled out, either. "Departed" is an adaptation of the Hong Kong pic "Infernal Affairs," to which Warners acquired the rights in 2003. The studio also had option rights to the movie's two sequels. It is unclear if this new movie would fall under that agreement, because Monahan's script could end up being an original story rather than an adaptation.

The acclaimed Chinese movies are regarded as "The Godfather" of Asian cinema, with the 2003 sequel being a prequel, much like "The Godfather 2." The third movie combined elements of the first two movies.

Warners declined comment.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

I believe The Departed was the best movie I saw last year. And I would go see this one.

Chris
Old 01-31-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm. Based on that, I'm assuming Robert De Niro would portray a character based on Chen Dao Ming's character form Infernal Affairs III and they'll rewrite Andy Lau's character (which became Matt Damon's character in The Departed) into Mark Wahlberg's character. That might actually work if they leave the prequel for last.
Old 01-31-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I can see it continuing with Dignam, tho it will be interesting to see how they do it since we don't really have much on his character anyway. I'm sure there'll be some flashback with Queenan.

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-31-07 at 12:07 PM.