Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Treasures are No More confirms Maltin R.I.P. (updated/merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Walt Disney Treasures are No More confirms Maltin R.I.P. (updated/merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-07, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think these sets will go up in value now that they will not be making them anymore and most of them are now out of print?
Old 01-13-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blaineo
Do you think these sets will go up in value now that they will not be making them anymore and most of them are now out of print?
the very early ones have about tripled retail in most instances, and at times have gotten much more. The later ones seem to hover around 40-60 bucks still sealed. So chances are that the ones that are on store shelves will do the same thing once they sell out and dissapear. Though it has been said several times, dvds are not a sound financial investment, buy them if you would enjoy them.
Old 01-13-07, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Nail
Their were 4 Mickey Mouse sets

Black and White Vol 1 and 2

Color Vol 1 and 2

All 4 are out of print, but I still see the Volume 2's at various stores.
one of the main reasons why this line FAILED, I know lots of people who wanted those above sets plus goofy and davey crockett and could never get them because always oop, what kind of company keeps people from buying thier hottest products? terrible business model.
Old 01-13-07, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
Disney wants our cash so I'm sure the rest of the Donald's will see the light of day. (Now, they may not get released in pristine shape, but they'll get released.) They probably got too many complaints about the poor transfers in recent sets and realize that consumer expectation for quality in the tins are high and costlier to them. So, they're either going to release standard versions of the rest of their product or they're going to focus on Blu-Ray releases and pretty much re-release everything again.
I agree every thing is moving to BLU-RAY and HDDVD and it`s going to be faster than I even expected. so that`s probally that`s what they r planning.
Old 01-13-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bloopbleep
one of the main reasons why this line FAILED, I know lots of people who wanted those above sets plus goofy and davey crockett and could never get them because always oop, what kind of company keeps people from buying thier hottest products? terrible business model.
I agree 100%. I have all of the sets I want, but for others that jumped on late, why would they start collecting if they couldn't acquire the earlier sets? Most folks are not going to start with Mickey in Color Volume 2 when Volume 1 was impossible to find affordably.

Disney's strategy of releasing stuff for a limited time has always bothered me. For instance, when my niece was 3-4 we couldn't find a copy of Little Mermaid for her anywhere (this was awhile ago). Here you have your target audience, and they can't even acquire the product. And Disney cartoons are the type of movies that kids should watch and grow with in my opinion. I know there is "value" in pulling the stuff off the market only to give it more hype when it's released down the road again, but I think it stinks.

That said, all I want is the Donald set to be completed, and they can add the Chip N Dale shorts as an extra like they did with Figaro on the Pluto set.
Old 01-13-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sucks for you...not for them. Its a hype machine that all but guarantees selling out an entire run. With a back catalog as deep as the Disney animated library they know that most parents don't plan on buying 60 plus titles if they are available at one time, but they can sell them 4-6 a year at various holidays.
Old 01-14-07, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyM
I agree 100%. I have all of the sets I want, but for others that jumped on late, why would they start collecting if they couldn't acquire the earlier sets? Most folks are not going to start with Mickey in Color Volume 2 when Volume 1 was impossible to find affordably.
Not an issue for me, but it is hardly a sequel. All the cartoons stand on their own regardless of which sequential number is after the title. I'm pretty sure one can enjoy Pluto 2, Mickey 2 or Silly Symphonies 2 without owning the previous sets.
Old 01-14-07, 01:28 AM

Shame that they are now over. Only ever got one tin myself from Amazon - Mickey in Color. Could never find the rest with the tin on eBay, and never bothered with the new ones as they started releasing them in Region 4 (local). They stopped however after 4 releases (Mickey in B/W and Colour, Donald and Silly).
Old 01-14-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Anyone having trouble getting the last two animateds, Silly Symphonies 2 and Pluto? I haven't grabbed them yet and I'm hoping this won't make speculators start grabbing them for eBay.
Old 01-14-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
saw all four at Target last night.
Old 01-26-07, 02:14 PM

Walt Disney Treasures LIVES

From Digitalbits.com:

DigitalBits Link

"I've got GREAT news for you Disney fans. I've just confirmed this morning with Buena Vista Home Entertainment that their much loved Walt Disney Treasures line of DVDs has NOT been cancelled. In fact, I'm told that at least a couple more waves of releases in the line are planned, with the next due in time for the holidays this year. We'll post additional details as they become available, but rest assured this news comes straight from the studio and it's the real deal. So there you go, folks!"
Old 01-26-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Let's hope it is true. AND LET'S SEE DONALD DUCK VOL 3 & 4! No more of this live action crap.
Old 01-26-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Let's hope it is true. AND LET'S SEE DONALD DUCK VOL 3 & 4! No more of this live action crap.
Ditto! Once they finish Donald Duck, I'll be happy.
Old 01-26-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Excellent!
Old 01-26-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey you all can get bent, I want the rest of Baca, Fox, and Zorro! That other behind the scene crap and MM Club can go though!

If theres a limit that these will last, they better cut the crap and get out the essentials!
Old 01-26-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well then what it means is that Leonard Maltin is probably out. What he interpreted as the end of the line probably meant the end of him. Which would be a shame, but not beyond the comprehension of what Disney has been doing with their brand name lately.
Old 01-26-07, 03:54 PM
Bye

I hate to see Leonard go, or perhaps maybe he just got bad information from someone. Another possibility is that they've come up with a new format that no longer includes a "host".

Anyway, just when I was about to buy into this crap about thedigitalbits being so far behind, I realized that they're not necessarily behind other sites, they just take the time to get confirmation from a reliable source.
Old 01-26-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm so happy this line is continuing.
Old 01-26-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

glad to hear it...

Walt Disney Treasures are No More confirms Maltin R.I.P.
Old 01-26-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good news

Walt Disney Treasures LIVES
Old 01-26-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
This is great news!
Old 01-26-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts
Good news. I'll be happy if The Donald Duck series gets completed but I'm also with Ravenous - I'd love Zorro to get released!

Here's hoping this turns out to be true...C'mon digitalbits, don't let me down.
Old 01-26-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is good news indeed...
Old 01-27-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm glad that this line is still continuing. Hopefully the quality of the transfer and packaging improves since it has been lacking for the past three waves or so.
Old 01-27-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news. Hopefully they'll more in line with the original "waves."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.