Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Primeval - misleading advertising?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been seeing a lot of ads for this movie and kept thinking it was about a serial killer. Not sure if this is a real spoiler but:

Spoiler:
It wasn't until I saw a recent spot that said the killer was named Gustave that I made a mental connection and realized it was a giant crocodile movie (the script was originally called Gustave and I read it early last year).

By the way, generally it was a fairly bad script. It had some interesting political undertones, but they are never really explored.

I just watched the trailer online, and I guess its slightly more clear as it says
Spoiler:
the killer isn't human

but I still feel the tv campaign is very misleading. If I hadn't had recognized the killer's name, I never would have realized what this film was really about. In some ways an intriguing marketing tactic, but it seems like there may be some pissed moviegoers in the near future.

Maybe the deception is to avoid comparison to Dimension's upcoming film
Spoiler:
Rogue
, but that seems unlikely as Primeval is coming out first and
Spoiler:
Rogue's
ads have yet to hit the US.

So, for those interested in the film or who have been hit over the head with the ads for the past week - how do you feel about these tactics?
Old 01-09-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's weird, I wouldn't have known that from watching the trailer. So do they try to make the movie a mystery, or does it just come out and tell you?
Old 01-09-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts
I noticed the same thing. When I saw the TV spots I thought it was a completely different movie than the first trailer I saw a while ago.
Old 01-09-07, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
That's weird, I wouldn't have known that from watching the trailer. So do they try to make the movie a mystery, or does it just come out and tell you?
The draft I read there was no mystery. It was even known as
Spoiler:
Disney's giant crocodile movie

I'm too lazy to reread my old summary, but here it is for anyone who may be interested

Spoiler:

In the African nation of Burundi a British doctor is attacked and killed by a giant crocodile. Cut to an American newsroom: TIM (a successful news producer) is in trouble for a story he recently oversaw. As punishment, his boss, ROGER, wants to send him to Burundi with AVIVA (a beautiful young female reporter) to oversee a story on the capture of GUSTAVE, the legendary giant crocodile. Tim does not want to work on a fluff piece, but soon realizes that after his previous blunder he has no choice. Furthermore, because of Burundi’s close proximity to Rwanda, Tim hopes that he may be able to salvage a meaningful story. Along with their cameraman (STEVEN) and a renowned crocodile expert (MATT), Tim and Aviva begin their journey to Burundi.

Once they arrive in Africa, a local named HARRY aids Tim and his crew. Harry provides them with two guards and warns them to beware of LITTLE GUSTAVE, a powerful warlord who rules the area where they will be traveling. The crew begins their journey down the river to meet with DURAND, their Caucasian guide. Durand has a personal reason for tracking down Gustave – the giant beast bit the legs off of his wife. He keeps this a secret because Tim and his crew want to capture Gustave, while Durand’s sole mission to kill him.

Led by Durand, the crew moves towards the last spot that Gustave was seen. As they travel, Tim, Steven, and Aviva shoot background footage. Tim had assumed that Aviva was just one of Roger’s brainless bimbo’s, but spending time with her, he is surprised to learn that she is actually quite intelligent. The crew arrives at a village where a SHAMAN is performing a ceremony to honor two fishermen who were recently killed by Gustave. They notice bodies floating down river, the casualties of the continuing strife in Rwanda. Matt explains that the presence of human corpses in addition to the over harvesting of fish could explain why Gustave obtained a taste for blood.

JOJO, a small local boy soon joins the crew, offering to help them find Gustave. He worships America and is excited to work around people in the television industry. With the help of some hired hands, everyone makes their way through the jungle towards Gustave’s territory. Durand shows everyone a special concoction he created (made up of blood, urine, and pheromones) that is supposed to attract Gustave. Matt sets up a cage meant to trap Gustave and baits it with a live goat. Meanwhile, Steven sets up a night vision camera to capture the footage. They catch their first glimpse of Gustave and Matt is able to tag him with a tracking device, scaring the creature away in the process. It begins to rain heavily and everyone settles down for the night.

The next day, the goat is gone. The video footage is hard to decipher because of the heavy rain. Aviva is bitten by a snake, but it ultimately turns out to be harmless. Using a balloon, the crew is able to get incredible aerial footage of Gustave jumping out of the water, jaws grasping for the camera. After Gustave cuts the balloon line, the balloon starts to wander aimlessly, its signal being transported back to Steven’s laptop. Soon, the camera captures startling footage: a pair of men brutally murdering in cold blood the Shaman, his wife, and son. While talking with Aviva, Tim learns that Roger is actually gay and that Aviva isn’t his girlfriend, merely his cover. His attraction towards her grows.

In an attempt to attract Gustave, Aviva has put a scarecrow in the cage, propped up by a moving tripod. The scarecrow doesn’t seem to working, so in an attempt to help Jojo runs into the cage. Gustave immediately lunges pulling the cage under water. Durand tries to kill Gustave with a grenade, but he misses. Tim runs to rescue Jojo and after a close encounter with Gustave he succeeds. Meanwhile, back in the tent on of the guards has robbed Aviva and is moving towards her as if he is going to rape her. Suddenly, Gustave tears through the tent and snatches away the guard.

Once the group reassembles in the tent, they prepare to leave. But before they are able to, the other guard points his gun on them. He robs them and walks them over to the swamp in order to kill them. Just before the guard fires on Steve, Jojo shoots and kills the guard.

Back in the hut, everyone reassembles. Durand finally reveals his real motives, and by this point everyone agrees that killing Gustave may be their only way to escape. Before they know it, Gustave has managed to knock the supports out from underneath the hut, destroying it. After a valiant fight, Durand is killed, followed by Matt. Tim, Steven, Aviva, and Jojo cling to the remnants of the hut and huddle together for the night.

The next morning, a helicopter comes by in response to a distress call placed by Aviva the previous day. Just before the crew is able to reach the helicopter, one of Little Gustave’s henchmen, ATO, drives by firing his machine gun. The helicopter is forced to pull away. Tim, Steven, Aviva, and Jojo run for cover – stuck between Ato and Gustave. As they run, Steven is caught by a snare and turned upside down. Tim and Aviva quickly free him and they all run for cover in some nearby huts. Steven then realizes he dropped his camera and runs back to retrieve it. He proceeds to capture some amazing footage of Gustave before dropping his camera and being swallowed alive.

Tim is able to retrieve Steven’s tape, but, by now, Ato has burned down all of the huts, forcing Aviva, Tim, and Jojo into the open. Ato eventually gets the jump on Tim and is about to kill him before Aviva shoots and kills Ato. Seemingly out of nowhere, Harry arrives on a jeep. He was sent to rescue them after the helicopter failed. After Aviva, Tim, and Jojo enter the jeep, Harry makes his real motives clear: he is Little Gustave and he needs to get the tape that shows him killing the Shaman and his family. Tim tells Harry that he doesn’t have the tape, but he has a tracker that will lead them to it. He proceeds to show Harry the device that tracks Gustave’s location.

As the group travels to Gustave’s location they notice a group of baby crocodiles. Gustave is a female – and she just had babies. Harry becomes irritated with Tim as they followed the tracking device but have not found the tape. He is about to shoot and kill Tim and Aviva when Tim douses him in Durand’s special concoction. Gustave bursts forth and eats Harry as Tim, Aviva, and Jojo run for their lives. They make it to the jeep but Gustave smashes through the back windshield, his jaws unable to fully open. Tim tries to drive, but Gustave is weighing them down. He sprays Gustave with a fire extinguisher, forcing her out of the jeep. The trio escapes safely and they are soon on a plane back to America, video footage in hand.

COMMENTS:

Gustave is in many ways an average or even sub par genre film. What elevates it slightly above the standard creature film is the interesting subplot about civil unrest in Africa. When dealing with this side story, Gustave is at its strongest as it is creating genuine tension and interest on multiple levels. However, eventually, because it is never quite sure whether to be an old fashioned creature feature or a political commentary, Gustave remains somewhere in between – never exploring either situation to its fullest and ultimately becoming quite unsatisfying.

As for the adventure sequences, they lack the sheer visceral impact of good adventure films. Part of this can be attributed to the fact that many of the sequences are extremely derivative and lack the freshness needed to be truly exhilarating. In fact, entire sequences seem stolen from Jurassic Park and Deep Blue Sea. Additionally, the film’s pacing is quite bad. The sequences towards the beginning involving Tim and Roger take too long and don’t really set up the characters very well. This is another problem with the script, though it tries to set up back story’s for the characters, it never succeeds in creating anything but caricatures that are really no more than crocodile fodder. In an attempt to compensate and achieve some emotional response from the audience, the script actually manages to put both a child and a dog in danger at various points. Both of these are copouts and do not make up for the fact that with the exception of some of the points made about Rwanda, the film lacks any emotional resonance.
Old 01-09-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, this film definitely has misleading ads. There is no way you'd know it was a crocodile from the ads. The first time I saw the previews, I thought it was some sort of actual monster.

It was supposed to come out in April, then about 1 week ago, they bumped the date up to January 12th, giving themselves no time to promote the films release.
Old 01-09-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wait, this movie is about a
Spoiler:
crocodile?!?!?
I never would have guessed that in a million years. So yeah, I would consider that misleading advertising.
Old 01-09-07, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Yeah, I saw the "serial killer's" name in the ad while I was on my laptop and checked out Wikipedia. It's definitely misleading, though I did see a longer ad tonight that had a 1 second shot of the "killer".
Old 01-09-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, I had no idea either. I actually might see it now, it looked like the same old serial killer stuff that I've skipped the last dozen times.
Old 01-09-07, 12:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've only seen the TV ads, and have seen no indication that this wasn't just a serial killer movie. This is possibly the most misleading ad campaign ever.
Old 01-09-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its an interesting twist to advertise it like that. I'm going to make a movie about the real ultimate killers Hippopotamuses, every year they kill more people than all of the other animals combined.
Old 01-09-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrush
Its an interesting twist to advertise it like that. I'm going to make a movie about the real ultimate killers Hippopotamuses, every year they kill more people than all of the other animals combined.
Great idea! The title is a bit awkward though. Might I suggest "Hungry Hungry Hippos"?

BTW, I agree "Primeval"'s advertising is misleading. I think you can be clever to a point, but if they draw audiences in expecting a slasher movie they're just going to anger the audience.
Old 01-09-07, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
So how can they say, "based on a true story"? I guess the "based" part means the real gator that did this wasn't as big as the one in the movie.
Old 01-09-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
Great idea! The title is a bit awkward though. Might I suggest "Hungry Hungry Hippos"?

BTW, I agree "Primeval"'s advertising is misleading. I think you can be clever to a point, but if they draw audiences in expecting a slasher movie they're just going to anger the audience.
Nah. If you are going to see that movie to see people get tore up, then it probably won't disappoint you.
Old 01-09-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Spoiler:
It appears so.
Old 01-09-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What bothers me is they have a goblin-looking thing jumping towards the camera, making you think it's some sort of killer baboon. But I pretty much thought it was a
Spoiler:

since they are in the marsh in one scene and someone gets attacked.
Old 01-09-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I've only seen the TV ads, and have seen no indication that this wasn't just a serial killer movie. This is possibly the most misleading ad campaign ever.
No kidding...

A croc that supposedly kills 300+ and is STILL at large... wow just wow...

No way I will ever see this...
Old 01-09-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
This movie was released last night. It killed the Buckeyes. Oh, wrong one.
It was a Gator.
Old 01-09-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I suppose if people really wanted to know what this movie was about, they could just read some reviews from early, critic's screenings of the movie.

Oh wait...
Old 01-09-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Yeah, I saw the "serial killer's" name in the ad while I was on my laptop and checked out Wikipedia. It's definitely misleading, though I did see a longer ad tonight that had a 1 second shot of the "killer".
I did the same thing. I saw that whole one second of 'something' that didn't quite seem human, so I checked this movie out on imdb.com

Imagine my surprise when I find out this is about a Alligator.

What a load of Croc.
Old 01-10-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chawmp!
Old 01-10-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

very misleading advertising...not going to see it now. I'll predict a 75-85% drop-off week 1 to 2.
Old 01-10-07, 12:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This has to be the most blatantly deceiving ad campaign I've seen since Cold Creek Manor. That film's ads
Spoiler:
went out of their way to paint the movie as a supernatural thriller along the lines of The Others, Sixth Sense, What Lies Beneath, etc. But there was nothing like that in the movie at all, just a routine thriller. All the 'supernatural' scenes in the trailer were completely taken out of context.
Old 01-10-07, 09:43 AM

Now that I know its about a croc' I will stay away.
Old 01-10-07, 09:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh come people, the trailer while, yes misleading, is quite blatant it's an animal doing all the carnage, not a human.... duh! but yes Touchstone is doing a bit of false advertising on this one.

maybe finally, Lewis Teague's 1980 alligator film will get a proper US DVD release...

Last edited by Giles; 01-10-07 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-10-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in for any sort of giant killer animal flick...and I agree with Giles that from the trailer you can tell this, but from the TV spots, it looks like a slasher flick and there isn't ANY mention or hint that it's about a killer alligator - none.

MATT

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.