Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"The Descent" bonus discs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"The Descent" bonus discs...

Anyone heard what the difference is between the bonus disc at Circuit City vs. the one from Best Buy? By the description in the ads, they both sound very similar.
Old 12-24-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
There's supposed to be one at Wal-Mart too.
Old 12-24-06, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was gonna pick this up, but as seeing I already have the 2-Disc UK SE that has an AMAZING DTS track...ill skip the R1 set.
Old 12-24-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
There's supposed to be one at Wal-Mart too.
I never get wal-mart ads where I live. Is there any mention in the ad what's on it?

EDIT:

Nevermind, found it on their website.

Last edited by Living Dead; 12-24-06 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-24-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Looks like we'll have to wait for reports from people who can read what the packages say as to content.
Old 12-26-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got the Best Buy release. The extra disc has a doc called "A Special Breed of Actors and Effects." Runtime is just shy of 12 mins. Fairly interesting if you like to see the creation of the practical effects.

The disc is housed inside the case... just like a regular 2-disc set would come.
Old 12-26-06, 01:00 PM

I was hoping some store was going to have a Steelbook version, guess I'll have to order an R2 also.
Old 12-26-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
soooooo. I bought the reg 2 disc long ago... is this the same as the "urated cut" r1? Or is the "unrated" title indicating more than even the r2 disc had?
Old 12-26-06, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
soooooo. I bought the reg 2 disc long ago... is this the same as the "urated cut" r1? Or is the "unrated" title indicating more than even the r2 disc had?
I just got the unrated region 1 at Circuit City and it has all the same features on 1 disc that the UK release had on 2.

The Circuit City bonus disc has a 10 minute featurette (creating an underground world) on the design and fabrication of the cave sets and the use of miniatures, green screen and CGI to make the sets look bigger.

My friend got the Best Buy exclusive disc (a special breed of effects and actors) and it had a 12 min featurette about the creation of the bones, dead bodies (animal and human), puppets (smashable crawler heads), and crawler makeups, as well as some crawler actor insights.

Both exclusive discs seem to have mostly new behind the scenes footage when compared to the "beneath the scenes" doc. on the unrated release, although there is some noticable overlap. Both go more in-depth into the technical aspects of the production, where as the "beneath" doc. focuses more on the actual filming process and actors.

The Walmart disc from it's title in the ad (The fine, Fearless, and Feisty) must be about the cast members, who are pretty well covered on the "beneath" doc., so avoid walmart's higher price on their exclusive and stick to one of the others.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Daniel14; 12-26-06 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-26-06, 05:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel14
I just got the unrated region 1 at Circuit City and it has all the same features on 1 disc that the UK release had on 2.
Yes, but the UK has full bit rate DTS audio which is amazing!
Old 12-26-06, 08:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
R1 vs. R2 comparison...

I am wondering if anyone has both releases, the UK or German with DTS to compare to the R1 audio? thanks.
Old 12-26-06, 11:04 PM

I am not that much of an audiophile, and yes there's no DTS on region 1, but the dolby tracks sounded excellent.
Old 12-27-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Yes, but the UK has full bit rate DTS audio which is amazing!

I will second that!!
Old 12-27-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll just chime in to say that, while I own the R2 disc, I've always found R1 dvd's to have superior picture since it's not PAL->NTSC. That's why I bought the R1 edition. And the cover is badass.
Old 12-28-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll grab these off Ebay.
Old 12-28-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of starting a new thread, I just thought I'd ask this here: Is the U.S. theatrical version being released on DVD at all? Everything I've read seems to indicate the DVD is the original UK version. Thanks.
Old 12-28-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's interesting that they decided to use the original UK ending for the R1 release instead of the US theatrical ending. You could always stop the disc at the appropriate point at the end for that theatrical experience.
Old 12-28-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by darthlurker
Instead of starting a new thread, I just thought I'd ask this here: Is the U.S. theatrical version being released on DVD at all? Everything I've read seems to indicate the DVD is the original UK version. Thanks.
The Full-screen version is R-Rated. Whether that means it is the theatrical cut I don't know.
Old 12-28-06, 02:39 PM

The region 1 Full Screen R rated release is the US theatrical edit with the cut down "happy" ending and slightly less gore.
Old 12-28-06, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

This is a tiny bit OT, but seems like the best place to ask. To those who purchased the widescreen version at Best Buy, did you get the "original unrated cut", or something else? When you look at it on their site, they list it as rated R, but the picture shows the cover that says "original unrated cut". Circuit city lists the "original unrated cut", and has it correctly rated as NR. I want to make sure I get the "full" version with the UK ending and nothing stripped out, which Circuit City clearly has listed, but Best Buy is more convenient for me. I haven't seen any listings for an R rated widescreen version, so I assume Best Buy's page just has the rating wrong, but I want to make sure.
Old 12-28-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got mine at Best Buy and got the original uncut version. Also, Best Buy's site tends to be wrong about specs. I've seen multiple disc sets listed as 1-disc.
Old 12-28-06, 04:04 PM
Cool New Member

Excellent, thanks! Just ordered for in-store p/u, so I can get it on the way home. Strangely, I noticed that when you search for it, the rating shows as "NR" in the search results, but when you click on it the page that shows more detail says "R". You'd think it'd all be pulling from the same data. No wonder they have listing mistakes.
Old 12-31-06, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel14
The Circuit City bonus disc has a 10 minute featurette (creating an underground world)

My friend got the Best Buy exclusive disc (a special breed of effects and actors)
Someone in another forum mentioned that the Best Buy DVD of "Descent" has a "booklet" included. That sounds as if it could be something informative, or is it just a page that lists the chapter stops?

Since I'm into caving, the Circuit City disc may be the one to keep (I bought both, but will return the one that seems the least of interest), unless the "booklet" is good enough to change my mind.

Someone also said that the CC extra disc is boring compared to the BB extra, but that may just be a matter of personal taste.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-06, 05:04 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Best Buy booklet is just 4 pages:

Front page: Shot of a massive pile of skulls with the movie title under it.
Inner two pages: List of bonus features, stills from the movie of the cast.
Back page: Shot of a cast member in the ground.
Old 01-05-07, 09:23 AM

The Descent versions

According to DVD Empire, there is also a full-screen unrated version, for those who are so inclined. In all fairness then, shouldn't there be a widescreen R-rated version as well? However, that is really scummy that they drop everything but the audio commentary on the R-rated disc, so if you want all the extras you HAVE to buy the UR disc (I always prefer UR so it's not a problem for me but some may not). I really do like the full screen cover, though - wish that was an option for the widescreen UR.

I already own the Region 2 UK 2-disc SE and bought both the Best Buy and Circuit City UR bonus disc versions (I decided to return the Circuit City version since I wouldn't have all the bonus content anyway, with Wal-Mart's version out there as well).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.