Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD 50 moviepack question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD 50 moviepack question

Does anyone have these that can tell me about the quality. There are a few movies in several sets I would like to see, but if the quality is really bad I may pick up individual releases of the titles. The Horror set is the first one I would pick up.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-19-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I have a bunch of these 50-pack sets: Horror Classics, Chilling Classics, Tales of Terror, Sci-Fi Classics, Drive-In Classics. You get what you pay for, but I love the value and accept them for what they are (they're going for $13 each at Amazon now -- for 50 movies!). Picture quality is VHS-level. All movies are pan-and-scan and the standard US-theatrical cuts. Doesn't look so hot on a big-screen HDTV, but on a smaller SD tv they're passable to watch. If there are particular movies you really care about, individual releases are likely to be much better quality (as long as they're not one of the many public-domain cheapie releases). I have a few duplicates in stand-alone DVDs for movies like NotLD, Carnival of Souls, Deep Red, Phenomena, Bad Taste, Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave, etc. I like the set for the "fringe" movies. Movies I might never have heard of, or wouldn't be worth $20 alone but I'd enjoy at ~$0.25. And there are a few hidden treasures in these, and/or movies that I don't see available on DVD anywhere else.
Old 10-19-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow...13 bucks is a great deal...i need to get on that
Old 10-19-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also keep in mind that the newer sets (the ones from late 2005 onward) all have a small 'bug' on the screen at various times during the films to mark them as being Mill Creek prints.

http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Movie-Pac...365412-5935236

In the end, if you're concerned enough about quality to ask the question, you should probably seek out better versions of the films you want. These packs are really about 'bang for your buck'. I personally love them -- you can't beat 50 cheesy horror flicks for about a quarter apiece. But some of the actual classics in there (Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, Last Man on Earth, etc.) I have purchased separately in much better editions.
Old 10-20-06, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the Horror set and was thinking about getting the Terror set. As mentioned the quality is watchable on a smaller television, and you get a great deal of value. I have seen at least 20 of the 50 movies so far, and there are a few hidden gems among the collection in addition to the standard classics.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 10-20-06 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-15-06, 07:59 AM

I bought four 50 movie packs - mystery, suspence, dark crimes and scifi. I have only seen few movies in mystery and suspence packs. They have less than vhs quality, 4:3 full frame format, few excellent movies with decent plots. Mystery pack is all b/w movies except one. Dark crimes is all b/w. They are good for the price. Just don't expect too much. Not for audiophile/videophile/skeptic.

Last edited by bohemian1; 11-20-06 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-09-06, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the Crime set and watched the first Dick Tracy movie, which wasn't bad, decent picture and sound. Twice during the movie there was digital noise on about a third of the picture for a second. Is that typical of these movies, or is it just how they play on some DVD players?

Last edited by hilts; 10-02-10 at 06:53 PM.