TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FOX Greenlights 'The Sarah Conner Chronicles'

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOX Greenlights 'The Sarah Conner Chronicles'

FOX GREENLIGHTS THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES

The adventures of Sarah Connor and her young son John, who may indeed be the savior of humanity, will come to the small screen in Fall 2007 on FOX. The Sarah Connor Chronicles will take place right after Terminator 2 as the two people who helped postpone Judgment Day go on the run with the weight of the world on their shoulders.

The series will be cast immediately (don't expect either Linda Hamilton or Edward Furlong, of course) and production will begin early next year in Mexico. The pilot script is by Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds) and the pilot will be directed by David Nutter (Disturbing Behavior).

(This gives us an excellent opportunity to point out that Disturbing Behavior is a horrendously underrated film. It's basically a great 90-minute X-Files episode, sans Mulder and Scully. It should also be pointed out that Disturbing Behavior starred Nick Stahl, who played John Connor in Terminator 3. Hmm...)

Now, back to the task at hand - how the hell can this be a TV series? What are Sarah and John going to do? Fight even more Terminators? Meet the agents of Judgment Day? Help poor people in need, a la The A-Team and Starman? Well, actually, there's three OK ideas right there, so maybe we just answered our own question.
http://www./channels/FilmTv/article.asp?articleID=19847

Not sure what to think about this. The more that I think about it, the more it sounds like it's going to flop...hard. No AH-NULD, no Linda Hamiton. I still might check out the pilot though, but what exactly can they fill in between T2 and T3 besides Sarah eventually dying?
Old 08-31-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How old was John when Sarah got committed? Doesn't seem like there's going to be a lot of interesting stories to tell when your hero has a baby sling on.

EDIT: If I would have paid more attention to the article, I can see that this is post-T2. That makes more sense. Not sure what kind of stories there are here.

Last edited by pinata242; 08-31-06 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-31-06, 05:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

(don't expect either Linda Hamilton or Edward Furlong, of course)
The funny thing is, it's not like either actor has anything that great going on. Linda Hamilton was recently a recurring character on According to Jim, but she wouldn't even consider this? Furlong I could understand not wanting to get because of his past troubles, although I can't see why HE wouldn't want it. I suppose they'd each expect some huge amount of movie for it just because of the history.

Oh, and Disturbing Behavior was terrible, even with the deleted scenes.
Old 08-31-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can see why he wouldn't... Because they won't ask him to!
Old 08-31-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well after we know the fate of Sarah and the whole world for that matter(thanks to T3) so who cares really??
Old 09-01-06, 12:59 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
They should get someone like Maura Tierney to play Sarah Conner. She'd be good.
Old 09-01-06, 07:00 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Well after we know the fate of Sarah and the whole world for that matter(thanks to T3) so who cares really??
Real fans don't (because they stopped watching the films at #2: JUDGMENT DAY).
Old 09-01-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I call B.S. on that because I'm a big Terminator fan and I LOVED T-3. It was much better than I expected (sans Cameron) and the effects, action, and story all exceeded my expectations.

So, I have to ask, what's your beef, sir?
Old 09-01-06, 08:18 AM

Who decided who is a "real fan"? Personally I thought T3 was a great ending to the story.

WRT the Conner Chronicles six of one, half dozen of the other. I'll probably watch it, once it's on DVD , but I really don't see a reason/"need" for it.
Old 09-01-06, 08:39 AM
Suspended

Cameron liked T3. 'Nuff said.
Old 09-01-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmm. I'm intrigued.

Unfortunately if it's any good, Fox will cancel it midway through the season.
Old 09-01-06, 08:43 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I realize for it to be called 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles', it needs to pick up where pt. 2 left off. However, I'd love for this to be a continuation of pt. 3 instead with the focus on John Connor.
Old 09-01-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I realize for it to be called 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles', it needs to pick up where pt. 2 left off. However, I'd love for this to be a continuation of pt. 3 instead with the focus on John Connor.
I agree, but that's probably sacred T4 ground they don't want to tread.
Old 09-01-06, 08:52 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by nemein
Who decided who is a "real fan"? Personally I thought T3 was a great ending to the story.
I did.

Feel what you want to feel, but in my book, T3 took a royal piss all over everything James Cameron had created, and especially his evocative denouement at the end of T2, so for me, it doesn't exist.
Old 09-01-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did.

Feel what you want to feel, but in my book, T3 took a royal piss all over everything James Cameron had created, and especially his evocative denouement at the end of T2, so for me, it doesn't exist.
I don't want to turn this into a T3 thread, but T2 pissed all over the theme of T1 aswell (The whole fate thing). People still love that film. T3 isn't phenomenal or as grounbreaking as the first 2, but it was highly entertaining and did not wimp out.

Anyway, this show sounds like a bad a idea. I'll probably check a few episodes out to see if I'm right.
Old 09-01-06, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Drop
I don't want to turn this into a T3 thread, but T2 pissed all over the theme of T1 aswell (The whole fate thing). People still love that film.
That's like saying STAR TREK III pissed all over STAR TREK II because it inverted "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one" to "the needs of the one outweighed the needs of the many"; not the same thing at all with what T3 did to T2.
Old 09-01-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
They should get someone like Maura Tierney to play Sarah Conner. She'd be good.
the first person I thought of was the girl who plays Lois Lane on Smallville. But I guess she's a little young for a post T2 Sarah.

I'm in agreement with what many here have already said. how much story could there possibly be between T2 and T3?

Beside if it's post T2, wouldn't Sarah be under the assumption that everything is OK? It's not like she'd still be teaching John how to save the world.
Old 09-01-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Given the odd title (without any specific Terminator reference), I have a feeling this is going to be VERY different in tone, theme, and appearance to the films. Which begs the question: Why set it in the "terminator universe" if you aren't going to have it be terminator-esque?

I'll be curious to see what they come up with...
Old 09-01-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
They could concoct some kind of storyline with Sarah on the run from Cyberdyne(sp?) Systems, who would play the villian role as an evil organization. Cyberdyne may not be quite ready to give up developing some kind of technology that threatens the future and they want Sarah either to eliminhate her as a threat or because she has something they need/want.
Old 09-01-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Um...okay - try to follow me here.

Terminator 1 took place in 1984.

Let's say Terminator 2 takes place in 1994 (even though at the beginning of T3, John says he was 13 when the second Terminator came after him...but that doesn't work, because then it would be 1997).

In Terminator 3, John clearly states that his mom died in 1997 of leukemia, and died three years after it was diagnosed, which means she found out shortly after the events of T2.

So the TV series would have to take place between 1994 and 1997 and Sarah has to know she has leukemia pretty much from the beginning if they do this right.
Old 09-01-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Be thankful we didnt get the "Good" ending for T2 or none of this would be possible.

(Then again, that might not have been such a bad thing)
Old 09-03-06, 10:37 PM

They should make the series about John in the future and in the war against the Terminators. I've always wanted to see more of the furture part. All we ever really get is quick flashs of the future. I wanna see more : (
Old 09-04-06, 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShinMusashi44
They should make the series about John in the future and in the war against the Terminators. I've always wanted to see more of the furture part.
But on a week-to-week basis?
Old 09-04-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Um...okay - try to follow me here.

Terminator 1 took place in 1984.

Let's say Terminator 2 takes place in 1994 (even though at the beginning of T3, John says he was 13 when the second Terminator came after him...but that doesn't work, because then it would be 1997).

In Terminator 3, John clearly states that his mom died in 1997 of leukemia, and died three years after it was diagnosed, which means she found out shortly after the events of T2.

So the TV series would have to take place between 1994 and 1997 and Sarah has to know she has leukemia pretty much from the beginning if they do this right.
All, but did she really die? Remember, in T3

Spoiler:
her coffin was filled with weapons, not her body

so she might have escaped death, possibly into the future?
Old 09-04-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did.

That's exactly how I feel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.