Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Netflix to rent pilots to "Studio 60" and "Kidnapped"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Netflix to rent pilots to "Studio 60" and "Kidnapped"

Netflix will be offering a disc to subscribers that has the pilots to "Studio 60 and the Sunset Strip" as well as "Kidnapped" and "Promotional material for other pilots" on August 5.

The Futon Critic has more info
Old 07-19-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info.

BTW, the url is spelled wrong in your link.
Old 07-19-06, 03:47 PM

BURBANK, Calif. – July 19, 2006 – In a first-of-its-kind promotion, NBC and Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX), the world's largest online movie rental service, today announced they will offer Netflix's approximately five million subscribers an advanced look at the premiere episodes of NBC's anticipated new drama series "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" and "Kidnapped." The shows will be made available in their entirety, six weeks before their respective broadcast premieres, on a special DVD created for Netflix that will also include preview trailers of the network's other new fall drama series. The announcement was made by John Miller, chief marketing officer for NBC Universal Television Group, and Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix.

"This unique joint effort will generate even more early buzz for some of our hottest new dramas by letting the Netflix user get an early preview," said Miller. "The promotion takes aim at the Netflix demographic-rich entertainment consumer who is looking for this kind of high-end television show, and then is eager to pass the word."

"Great TV is an increasingly important and popular component of the 60,000-title catalog Netflix offers its subscribers," said Sarandos. "Joining forces with NBC to launch two terrific new series differentiates our service in the area of unique and original content and provides NBC with an innovative platform to promote its fall lineup."

Beginning August 5, Netflix subscribers will have the opportunity to view "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" and "Kidnapped" before anyone else. When added to their personal "queues" on Netflix.com, the DVD will be mailed first-class with postage-paid return via the United States Postal Service, Netflix's customary means of distribution. Netflix subscribers can add the shows to their "queues" now and the promotional offer will extend until September 17.

To drive awareness of the offer, NBC and Netflix will employ a range of promotional vehicles, including tagged network spots and integration into the annual 30-minute NBC "Fall Preview Show," which airs repeatedly on the NBC stations (and NBCU cable channels) for approximately six weeks prior to premiere week in September. In addition, the promotion will be featured in banner ads on the Netflix Web site and print ads inside the company's trademark red mailers. Netflix will also promote the special offer to relevant subscribers based on previous rentals and ratings of comparable content.
Old 07-19-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that's a frickin' brilliant idea. Get people to sample the show well in advance and decide if they want to continue watching in the fall.

I have to assume that both of those have pretty decent pilot episodes, to get you hooked. Just added to my queue!
Old 07-19-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the really brilliant part is how they're not just giving away discs some way -- they have actually found a way to exploit Netflix. I'd hope they'll make some money off of it because Netflix certainly will with those discs counting as one of the unlimited but restrained rentals a customer gets to make in a month.
Old 07-19-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the really brilliant part is how they're not just giving away discs some way -- they have actually found a way to exploit Netflix. I'd hope they'll make some money off of it because Netflix certainly will with those discs counting as one of the unlimited but restrained rentals a customer gets to make in a month.
Exactly what I was thinking... Netflix gets the exposure and some revenue, while the network gets their pilots out there and people talking about them...
Old 07-20-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Wow, that's a frickin' brilliant idea. Get people to sample the show well in advance and decide if they want to continue watching in the fall.
Certainly a better idea that those Mazda "First Look" CD-ROMS they sent out last year. It was great to see My Name is Earl in its entirety weeks early, but a DVD-quality version would have been much preferred (a la what FOX did with the HOUSE pilot).

Someone is finally SMART! I may pass out from shock!