Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MEGADETH: United Abominations -10/31/06

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MEGADETH: United Abominations -10/31/06

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
MEGADETH: United Abominations -Delayed to 2007

Megadeth Heading Back To The Old School With United Abominations

After a tough few years, 'I wanted to go back to the way the stuff was done in the beginning,' says frontman Dave Mustaine.

When Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine named his band's 2004 album The System Has Failed, he seemed to be commenting on the state of U.S. politics. But in retrospect, the title was dead-on for an entirely different reason: The system Mustaine depended on for his livelihood was falling apart.

There were problems with the band's lineup, an ugly lawsuit had developed with ex-bassist David Ellefson, and the label that released the album suffered a staff shakeup that resulted in what Mustaine called "a complete lack of support for the project." In February 2005, Mustaine announced plans to disband Megadeth and go solo. As the year progressed, however, he re-evaluated his decision, and on October 9 at a concert in Buenos Aires, Argentina, he declared that Megadeth would continue.

"My decision was a combination of a few things," Mustaine said as he prepared to enter the studio to record vocals for the band's upcoming album, United Abominations, which is scheduled for a Halloween release. "I was finally associating with guys that really love to play — [ex-Eidolon guitarist Glen Drover and drummer Shawn Drover] — and that make me feel really good to play. They respect me and are fans of the music that we play and of the music in our genre. Also, ticket sales were up and record sales were up — it was happening again."

Inspired by his decision, Mustaine wrote a batch of new songs, signed a new deal with Roadrunner Records and hired bassist James LoMenzo (ex-Black Label Society and, um, White Lion) to replace James Macdonough. Then the band flew to England to record drums for the album.

"We rented [Led Zeppelin drummer] John Bonham's drum kit and recorded at a studio in [Pink Floyd guitarist] David Gilmour's house, which was great." Mustaine said.

"The kit is the only one that's available in the world to rent," Drover added. "Dave surprised me with that, which was pretty incredible because I didn't even know it was possible to get Bonham's kit to rent for anybody. So I incorporated the bass drum and his floor tom and a snare on the kit that I use in the studio, and that was really inspiring. We played in the middle of nowhere and it was just a really cool vibe."

After the drums were finished, Megadeth returned to California to record the guitars and bass. Even before the vocals were added, it was clear that United Abominations was going to please fans of Megadeth's vintage material. "If I was to say what time this record would have came out, I would have said some time before [1990's] Rust in Peace or sometime after [1992's] Countdown to Extinction, Mustaine said. "The critics called The System a return to form (see "Dave Mustaine, Megadeth Return To Life With New System"), but this is even more so. The record company that I'm with now gets it and I'm with management who gets it. So I don't have to write songs because the wives of certain bandmembers are griping or their mortgage is not getting paid or management is telling me that I've got to get a record done to do the tour and I've got to do the tour because if not, I'm not going to be able to pay my bills."

Such skewed reasoning, insisted Mustaine, was largely responsible for Megadeth's transformation from a stellar thrash outfit to a more commercial entity. It all started after the landmark album Rust in Peace, when Megadeth recorded the slightly more commercial Countdown to Extinction, which reached #2 on the Billboard albums chart.

"After that, the pressure came from all sorts of different angles and I was learning as I was going along," Mustaine said. "Also, we had pretty much a revolving lineup within the band and with representation from management and with numerous administrations at the record companies. While we were signed to Capitol, there were six different presidents there. So, we've never really had any long-term equilibrium."

United Abominations will mark the 'Deth recording debut of the Drover brothers. The album will contain 11 songs, including the title track, "Washington's Next" and "Gears of War"; an additional track will be included with the Japanese release. "It's a really diverse record," Shawn said. "There's some faster stuff that should appeal to the band's thrash fans and it's got a little more mainstream stuff as well. It's definitely not one-dimensional."

The record is being co-produced by Mustaine and Jeff Balding, who has worked on three other Megadeth discs. But while Balding has an arsenal of contemporary gizmos at his disposal, the album is being created with the kinds of equipment and techniques the band used in the late '80s — before the advent of ProTools and digital editing.

"I wanted to go back to the way the stuff was done in the beginning," said Mustaine. "I think Megadeth boils down to its bare minimum. When you break it down, Megadeth is guitar, bass, drums and guitar solos. And when it starts going in directions where there's a little bit too much stuff going on that can't be done onstage, it loses heaviness because that stuff probably shouldn't be there anyway."

As he heads into the final weeks of production, Mustaine is happy with his new songs, ecstatic about his current bandmates and looking forward to announcing the lineup for the second Gigantour, the technical-metal festival he launched and headlined last year. Once again, the system is fully operational.

MTV.com

Last edited by gerrythedon; 11-14-06 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-18-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The System Has Failed was pretty good, but certainly not on the level of Rust in Peace or Peace Sells. The album reminded me of Lars' quote in Some Kind of Monster: it sounded "a little stock".

It's tough to admit as a fan of Megadeth's golden-period output, but metal has moved on from Megadeth's classic thrash.
Old 07-18-06, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, but us old timers still like the old style Deth. I was pretty happy with TSHF some good hooks in there and was fun to listen to. I'd be happy if Mustaine put out another like the last.
Old 08-03-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

08/03/06

MEGADETH- New Album in October and A Festival To Look Forward To

Dave Mustaine, the mastermind behind Megadeth, has picked October 31 as the release date for his new project. The new album titled "United Abominations" is out in the market three years after the singer and guitar player of Megadeth gain favorable critiques and most of his audience with The System Has Failed.

The announced release date coincides with the release date of Youthanasia twelve years ago reaching almost 1 million copies sold in the US alone. A lot has changed in this band since that Halloween.

Megadeth reached the highest popularity yet at the beginning of the nineties with two fundamental albums in the discography of any thrash metal follower. Rust in Peace (1990) and Countdown to Extinction (1992) with songs that were destined to become instant Megadeth classics. From that poin on, albums such as Youthanasia (1994) and Cryptic Writings (1997) provided a higher dosis of Mustaine genious to a scene that had stopped getting the highest sales obtained earlier, but in 1999 Megadeth was crucified for the release of Risk. Risk showed a different side of Megadeth. With the departure of Nick Menza and the arrival of Jimmy DeGrasso, this album was characterized as alternative sound, with many of the elements considered pop. The album received harsh critiques from fans and critics alike, it got further away from what had come to be expected from Megadeth, which had another loss with the departure of Marty Friedman.

The lesion suffered by Dave after a tour supporting the almost unnoticed The World Needs a Hero (2001) resulted in the band's official split in 2002. However, Mustaine perseverance got him to a rehabilitation program and to recover the mobility of his arm. Thanks to his prompt recovery, the singer and guitarist got together with Chris Poland who had played guitars for Megadeth's first two records and launched The System Has Failed (2004), the album silenced many voices that claimed the red haired singer's career was over.

The separation from bass player David Ellefson who was Mustaine's right hand since the beginnings of Megadeth, didn't stop the intentions to release and support the new project, therefore he recruited the Drover brothers (Eidolon) and James McDonough (ex-Iced Earth, recently replazed by James Lomenzo (Ex-White Lion, ex-Black Label Society) for The System Has Failed tour. This new line up has recorded United abominations, the new Megadeth record.

United Abominations as described by Mustaine as "An album that would have come out before Rust in Peace o just after Countdown to Extinction". Part of this album was recorded in the David Gilmour's (Pink Floyd) studios in England and the rest was recorded in the US . The album will be released by Roadrunner records shortly after the end of Gigantour 2006.

The CD will feature 11 songs (12 in the Japanese version) - out which they have named three songs: United Abominations, Washington is Next & Gears of Wars. In regards to the direction of this new project, drummer Shawn Drover said:

"It is a very diverse album. There are very fast parts that thrash fans will identified themselves with and there are some generic elements to. Clearly it is not a one-dimension album."

In regards to Gigantour 2006, the festival Dave Mustaine started last year with the hope to get together high quality music bands with high level of instrumental performance, the following acts have been confirmed: Megadeth, Lamb of God, Opeth, Arch Enemy, The Smashup, Into Eternity, Santicty and another thrash metal band, Overkill.

To commemorate the beginning of this festival, a double CD with Gigantour 2005 acts including Fear Factory, Anthrax, Dream Theater, Nevermore, etc. will be released on August 22. The DVD version of the CD will be released September 5 with footage of live performances, back stage footage and the long awaited version of Cemetary Gates, played by members of Dream Theater and members of other bands in the festival as a tribute to the late Dimebag Darrell (Pantera).

The gold moment of such an exciting panorama to look forward to, will be with the arrival of the CD/DVD of the Megadeth concert in Argentina . The Argentine fans had long and anxiously awaited for this concert since it was originally scheduled to take place in 2001 but was postponed due to the 9/11 attacks, and in it's place the band released Rude Awakening (2002) recorded in Phoenix, AZ.

ROCKSTYLE.es
English translation: MEGADETH.com
Old 08-23-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Megadeth 'United' For Roadrunner Debut

The next Megadeth album has a title -- "United Abominations" -- but that's about it for the time being.

"We're putting the finishing touches on it," reports group leader Dave Mustaine, who's also preparing for the Sept. 6 start of the second Gigantour traveling heavy metal festival. "We've got a little more work before it's finished, but it should be out some time next year."

Mustaine says an initial Oct. 31 release date for the album, Megadeth's first as part of a new deal with Roadrunner Records, was "wishful thinking," and both the group and label felt a 2007 release was preferable to November or December of this year.

The singer/guitarist says the album, which he's producing with Jeff Balding, "has a lot of variation on it. It's got some surprises, but there's a really old-school vein to it, I would say." The group has been careful not to rush the album, either, holding sessions in London, Los Angeles and Nashville since earlier this year.

"We're taking our time with this one," Mustaine says. "It's a great feeling to make a record and not have our feet held to the fire. One of my heroes growing up was Kiss, but they really frustrated me 'cause they would put out a record just about every year. I couldn't figure that out. I pretty much have a cycle of about 18 months to 24 months between records. I just can't put them out any quicker than that and feel comfortable about them."

This being Megadeth, there will be some political underpinnings to the songs on "United Abominations." The title, in fact, comes from Mustaine's feelings about the United Nations' "failure to perform," particularly in crisis situations. "I was watching TV and saw the trucks that said 'UN' on them and said, 'Man, you are so uncool, ineffective, anything," he explains. "I thought, 'Wow, I've got to run with this. I got it -- United Abominations, 'cause it's an abomination what they're doing!"

Mustaine expects Megadeth to tour heavily in support of "United Abominations," perhaps into 2008.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 08-23-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 09-02-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gnarly Charlie’s Speaks With Megadeth Frontman/Gigantourprenuer, Dave Mustaine

“Mega” Dave Mustaine spent a few moments to update KNAC.COM on Gigantour, the upcoming Megadeth album, United Abominations...

KNAC.COM: How did you come up with the title for the forthcoming album United Abominations?

MUSTAINE: Traveling as much as you do as an American, people are prejudiced to Americans who travel because a lot of Americans that travel are really rude travelers. That doesn’t mean that all Americans are, but sometimes we’ll be someplace and people will take their stuff out on us because the ass-wipe with the nosecoat and the inflatable horsey ramp down by the pool is bellyaching because they’re not getting served within the first 5 seconds of sitting down. That’s just not the way they do things outside of this country and you tend to take a look at different people’s political viewpoints and one thing that is a common thread with everything—with the United Nations being the appointed entity to promote peace and keep us from going to war…they’ve failed. They’ve failed miserably. And I thought ‘The United Nations is more like the United Abominations’ and I went ‘Holy shit, that’s a great title.’ Then I wrote a song about it and went ‘You know what? That’s the title track.’

KNAC.COM: Did your new bass player, James LoMenzo, have much input in the writing process?

MUSTAINE: Well, he was very involved in his own parts. The song “Washington’s Next”, has a bass part that is reminiscent of John Entwistle. I don’t know if you were a big fan of The Who but…

KNAC.COM: I’m a big fan of The Who.

MUSTAINE: When you hear the bass line in the song, you’re going to think “That sounds like the bass line from “Can You See the Real Me?” It’s just hauling ass, Entwistle-wise.

KNAC.COM: When does the new record street?

MUSTAINE: Next year. We’re still working on the record. I’m on my way to the studio right now. We thought that we would have it done before Gigantour and we just didn’t have enough time. It’s good, I think, for us to have that separation, to be able to walk away from the project and get a little bit of distance so that we can have some perspective or…in the words from my friends from Spinal Tap (as Dave takes on his best British accent) “A bit too much perspective.”

KNAC.com
Old 10-12-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

United Abominations will include a cover of Led Zepplin's "Out on the Tiles". Dave Mustaine recently described it as one on the CD's highlights. "It could be the best song," he said. "I think it rocks!"...

MEGADETH.com
Old 11-13-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nov 12th:
Dave Mustaine will host next weekend's special edition
of "Headbanger's Ball" dedicated to the Xbox 360 game,
Gears of War. Shot at Six Flags in Springfield, MA, the
episode will air on Sat, Nov 18 at 10:00 PM EST. Viewers
will also get to see an exclusive performance of the
song "Gears Of War" from the upcoming album!

MEGADETH.com
Old 11-13-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Having heard two of the new tracks on Youtube I'm not holding out for this new album to be a classic.
Old 11-13-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nov 13th:
A clip of Megadeth's live performance of their new song
"Gears Of War" will air during the special "Gears Of War:
The Race To Launch" tonight @ 8:30pm CT, on MTV and
@ 9:30pm on MTV2. Show will also reair on Tues 11/14
@ 12:30pm, 3:00am, and Sat 11/18: @ 9:30pm

MEGADETH.com
Old 11-16-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See Megadeth play the new Xbox game "Gears Of War" discuss it, and play the song live! Megadeth took part in launching the game with a mini concert this past Halloween at Six Flags.

View the clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4YfNBZ1Cw
Old 11-22-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nov 21st:
Megadeth is back in the studio this month in California
adding the finishing touches to their forthcoming album
"United Abominations" set to be released March of 2007.

MEGADETH.com
Old 11-23-06, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Given that Mustaine is a 'born-again' Christian now, I wouldn't hold out much hope for this album.
Old 11-24-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well you are welcome to your opinion
Old 11-24-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gears of War
Music and Lyrics Dave Mustaine

Ethnic cleansing with no defending
These acts of genocide
A fatal ending with no surrendering
To cover up the crimes and lie

Smart bombs, precision guided armament
A more sophisticated way to end up dead
Still we search and invent such intelligent weapons
That kill each other like the Gears of War
Hoo-rah!!!

If you ride with thieves, then you die with thieves
Cross my heart and hope that you die, that you die!
When the smoke has cleared, the devil's in the mirror
And you see his warheads paint the sky, now you die!

Smart bombs, precision guided armament
A more sophisticated way to end up dead
Still we search and invent such intelligent weapons
That kill each other like the Gears of War
Hoo-rah!!!

MEGADETH.com
Old 12-20-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Warner Music Group Corp. announced Dec 18th it has
signed a definitive agreement to acquire 73.5 percent
of Roadrunner Music Group B.V., which includes
Megadeth's label, Roadrunner Records.
Full article: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=63964

MEGADETH.com
Old 12-21-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Warner Music Group Corp. announced Dec 18th it has
signed a definitive agreement to acquire 73.5 percent
of Roadrunner Music Group B.V., which includes
Megadeth's label, Roadrunner Records.
Full article: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=63964

MEGADETH.com
There's quite a few good bands on the Roadrunner label. I hope this simply allows better distribution of their artist roster.
Old 12-21-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jippy
There's quite a few good bands on the Roadrunner label. I hope this simply allows better distribution of their artist roster.
yup like my favorites Megadeth, Slipknot & Stone Sour.
Old 12-21-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was hoping that Metallica would consider signing with Roadrunner Records [next year]after their contract expires [after they release the new album] but now they're already there ... [they switched to WB for their last album after Elektra shut down.]
Old 12-26-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another highlight for me this year was working on the new Megadeth album, United Abominations in San Diego for most of November.

Dave proved to be a very cool guy to work with, as did Shawn, Glen and James. We’ve got a few more vocals and solos to work on at the start of 2007 and then we should be able to get this beast mixed and in the bag for a March/April release.

ANDYSNEAP.com
Old 12-27-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[to follow above post]

someone posted this at the MEGADETH forum:

Well. I can say... Andy Sneap is king. And he's really enjoying working with Dave and the megs.

I got the impression that there was a problem with the original producer and the project was going off the rails in terms of a 'metal' album. But Andy and Dave have put it back on track. Hence longer production time and additional recording time.
Andy, being a total gent and proffessional, didn't give too much away, other than he love's Dave and Glen's shredding and is happy with where the album is heading.

After spending 10mins chatting to Andy on Saturday I can say the album is gonna be brilliant!
Old 01-03-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jan 2nd:
Dave Mustaine and Glen Drover head off today for
the UK to finish up the anxiously awaited new
Megadeth album "United Abominations". The album
is due to hit stores this March/April '07.

MEGADETH.com
Old 01-08-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DAVE MUSTAINE [Megadeth forum] update:

So, here are the new song titles that I know you know:

Gears Of War
Washington Is Next
United Abominations

And here are some other titles:

Amerikhastan
Blessed Are The Dead
Never Walk Alone

and . . .

We finally covered a Led Zeppelin song - Out On The Tiles

There you have it. Half of the titles (I may change the rest) are here for you to speculate what I have in store to surprise you with. There are 11 songs for the US, an additional song for Japan, and two extra songs for later use as "b-sides".

Lastly, Glen said that there were "at least ten million solos on this record" which makes us both very happy! So much so, that the nail on my right-hand middle finger just split right down the middle, and I nearly glued my fingers together trying to stop the blood from gushing from my "flipper"

I am off to sing the last song that I wrote for this record called "Never Walk Alone" which is a promise to you. We wish you were all here and it is possible that Andy may allow a few fan club members over to the studio, that can attend a brief listening (in underwear so there are no more leaks, like the loser UK journo that leaked my last record as "a favor" to me).
Old 01-18-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

United Abominations [is] 100% Complete!

MEGADETH.com

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.