Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2D SE of Grey Gardens (Criterion) on 8/22

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2D SE of Grey Gardens (Criterion) on 8/22

Can't seem to find any info on extras as of yet, retail is $39.95. Hopefully it will include the recent Ghosts of Grey Gardens documentary.
Glad I held off on this one.

Last edited by NoirFan; 06-12-06 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wonder if it will have anything on the musical version which had a very successful limited run off-Broadway and is scheduled for Broadway this fall.
Old 06-12-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would this be considered a good blind buy? I'm aware of the previous release by Criterion and it sounds interesting.
Old 06-12-06, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Can't seem to find any info on extras as of yet, retail is $39.95. Hopefully it will include the recent Ghosts of Grey Gardens documentary.
Glad I held off on this one.
The Grey Gardens 2-disc SE had been scheduled for release on April 25th, but was postponed. AFAIK, official specs were never announced, but Albert Maysles was interviewed about it for Women's Wear Daily back in July 2005. Interview excerpts from a post at the Criterion Forum:
Three decades after Maysles and his late brother, David, made what
has become a cult classic film with the Beales, Jacqueline Kennedy's
cousins, he is putting together a "Grey Gardens" DVD scrapbook to be
released by the end of the year.

Maysles said in a telephone interview that the film has
inspired "Grey Gardens" parties at which people dress up like the
characters and recite favorite lines such as, "C'mon in, we're not
ready," or "They can get you in East Hampton for wearing red shoes on
a Thursday," and "The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility."

In addition to unused footage, the release will have a `where are
they now?' quality. Jerry Torre, the handyman who befriended the
Beales at their dilapidated estate, Grey Gardens, and is now a New
York City cab driver, recently tracked down Maysles and invited him
for a sentimental journey. The filmmaker obliged with camera in hand.
Originally Posted by tofferman
Would this be considered a good blind buy? I'm aware of the previous release by Criterion and it sounds interesting.
Grey Gardens is at once a gothic comedy and a Tennessee Williams play come fully to life (with a change of venue from New Orleans to the Hamptons).

It's one of my favorite documentaries, but it walks a fine line between celebrating eccentricity and exploiting the two subjects of the film. While the erratic behavior and grandiosity of Little and Big Edie Beale is simultaneously funny and repulsive, I am more fascinated by the dysfunctional symbiotic relationship between mother and daughter, and the bittersweet reminiscence of faded beauty, lost love, and failed dreams.

My mother--who would have no interest in 99% of the releases from the Criterion Collection--considers this her all-time favorite film.

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 06-12-06 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 01:07 PM

This film is definitely not a title that I would recommend as a buy blind. It is one of the two dozen or so films from Criterion that I have avoided buying. I rented it from Netflix. I love offbeat films, but I found I had little interest in the delusional women in the film despite my admiration of the Maysles. The extras and the cult following of the film were more interesting to me than the film.
Old 06-13-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I received this and "Salesman" for Christmas a few years back. Excellent documentaries.

I remember hearing something about a discount/way to get this for less if you already own the first release. Can't wait to hear what that will be.

One strange thing about this (or not) was I'd just watched the film while on vacation and we stayed at the home of Mrs. Pusser's Aunt. I was looking through Town and Country magazine (I think) and there was a spread on a house a couple had fixed up in Long Island. I looked at the pix and it seemed familiar for some reason. I read the story and it said how they bought the house from the Grey Garden ladies.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 06-13-06 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
One strange thing about this (or not) was I'd just watched the film while on vacation and we stayed at the home of Mrs. Pusser's Aunt. I was looking through Town and Country magazine (I think) and there was a spread on a house a couple had fixed up in Long Island. I looked at the pix and it seemed familiar for some reason. I read the story and it said how they bought the house from the Grey Garden ladies.
I hope they removed the kitty cat pee odor.

I'll be double dipping for this SE.
Old 06-14-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There was a mention of the stink.
Old 06-14-06, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tofferman
I can usually sit through just about any film but this one really tested me. I too thought it sounded really interesting when I first heard about it and read about it online, but after the first 20 minutes or so it got incredibly boring. Nothing much really happens, but again that I guess shouldn't be expected, they just show their house around, different rooms, and philosophize about their life and way of living. The first 20 minutes was all I needed to get the idea behind the movie and what it was trying to come across with.

To tell you the truth I wouldn't even really recommend anyone to go out of their way to see this. So I would say do NOT blind buy it.
Old 06-14-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As long as it's official. I've been wanting to pick this thing up but kept hearing about a re-release so I waited and waited. Hopefully there won't be any more delays and Criterion can focus on releasing moviesthat are not already in the collection.
Old 06-16-06, 01:01 PM

I added this release to my upcoming list based on the listing at Movies Unlimited. However, it is not up for preorder anywhere else that I can find and Criterion has made no official announcement (nor was it listed in the announcement of the September titles). Finally, the current edition is still in print.

So, I highly doubt that the August 22nd release date is accurate. I would consider it as TBA until it is officially confirmed, and will remove it from my list at today's update.
Old 06-16-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dagnabit.
Old 12-06-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anybody picked this up yet?

I already own the original disc, but am wondering how the new set is housed. From the pictures I can't tell if it's a double amaray or just two singles with a slipcover. The second disc is going for 13.xx at dvdplanet, but with GCO the new 2D is only 22.xx. I could probably sell off my old copy for enough that would even it out.

Anyone's thoughts?
Old 12-06-06, 11:51 PM

Two transparent keepcases housed in a slipcase

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/greygardens.htm
Old 12-07-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by starecase
Two transparent keepcases housed in a slipcase

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/greygardens.htm
thanks.

odd about a new transfer and higher bitrate yet still looking the same.