Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sorstalanság (2DVD) Hungary's Oscar Entry

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a few emails during the last couple of days concerning the Hungarian double set of Sorstalanság a.k.a Fateless regarding whether or not the disc indeed offers English subs...the quick answer is yes, it does!! I am also going to write a review for it as soon as I get a little bit better (I have a second copy coming of it as well...). I placed the double set as my top foreign pick this year and clearly you should seek out and see this film ASAP.

Trailer could be seen here:
http://www.intercom.hu/honlapok/sors...exPage=trailer

The film features a stunning soundtrack by ex-Dead Can Dance vocalist Lisa Gerrad and a powerful score by Ennio Moriconne (the main theme strangely reminds me about Once Upon a Time In America).

Nominated for Golden Bear at the Berlin Film Festival (2005) and submitted as Hungary's official Oscar entry this year!!

Here's a short review which I don't quite like but it should give you an idea about the film:
http://film.guardian.co.uk/festivals...415819,00.html

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-23-05 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-23-05, 02:55 AM

Pro-B,
Where did you order the dvd? It seems Numero7.com does not carry this title. And this is the only english friendly Hungarian website which I can find.
Old 11-23-05, 03:03 AM

Pro-B,
Just to remind you that Dead Can Dance reform and play live this year. So Lisa is still part of Dead Can Dance.
Old 11-23-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Moon33
Pro-B,
Where did you order the dvd? It seems Numero7.com does not carry this title. And this is the only english friendly Hungarian website which I can find.
Moon33,

I've actually managed to get a copy through a friend that is currently flying with American Airlines. I also have a second copy coming from another friend that I was able to meet through the forum after I wrote the review for the R1 Kontroll. He is indeed Hungarian.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-23-05 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-23-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Moon33
Pro-B,
Just to remind you that Dead Can Dance reform and play live this year. So Lisa is still part of Dead Can Dance.
You are correct...I did not know that she went back to the group. For a long time she did all these solo albums (including the Gladiator bits) and quite frankly Dead Can Dance was no longer on the horizon...I guess things have changed for the better.

Pro-B
Old 11-24-05, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Moon33,

I've actually managed to get a copy through a friend that is currently flying with American Airlines. I also have a second copy coming from another friend that I was able to meet through the forum after I wrote the review for the R1 Kontroll. He is indeed Hungarian.

Pro-B
That is tough luck. Where else I can order this dvd? You know I can't read Hungarian.
Old 11-24-05, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

try emailing numero7 and see if they will carry it. I've never had a problem with email contact. I didn't email myself because I have no $ so i wouldn't be able to commit to anything. if you do email them let me know.
Old 11-24-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Moon33, BuddhaWake...I think that I will have some very good news for you rather soon. I have found a site that will ship to the US (just got the email), all i need is a confirmation on the payment options....stay tuned!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-25-05 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-25-05, 05:42 AM

Pro-B,

Please count me in on this as well if you're PM'ing. I really want Kontroll and Sorstalansag.

Thanks,
Ted
Old 11-25-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ordering info:

I contacted Peter Kovacs from www.Filmsarok.hu and after exchanging four different emails (the gentleman uses perfect English) he offered to assist those in the US or elsewhere with providing either Kontroll or Fateless. As you could see from the site mentioned above everything is in Hungarian therefore you will have to contact Peter at:
[email protected]

He returned my emails in less than 12 hours (each time) and I did explained to him that people are interested particularly in the two titles mentioned above. I also researched the store via a few other sources to find whether or not they are legit players. I was told they are (hence my post here). Peter also mentioned to me that they will have a new English-firendly interface soon.

As far as payment options, due to the fact that the site is so small, you will have to use Western Union. When you send your email to Peter specify the DVDs you are interested in and that you would like to use Western Union...and of course that you would like to place an order. He will provide you with all the additional information you need before your order is processed.
It is unfortunate that the site still does not manage to acept Visa/MC but as I understand they are very small (and I did do some research) and trying to do their best to match for example everyone's favorite www.xpress.hu.

Hope this helps as indeed ordering from Hungary for now is indeed an adventure.

For the record I have contacted just about any Hungarian online etailer that I know of (total of about 8) and most do not seem keen on shipping to the US.

Here's Kontroll 2DVD-
http://www.filmsarok.hu/index.php?page=film&fid=2691

Here's Fateless 2DVD
http://www.filmsarok.hu/index.php?page=film&fid=3684

When sending your email to Peter in the title place "USA order- for Peter Kovacs".

If you have any questions...ask.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-25-05 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-27-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw a screening of this film at the Nordic Film Festival in Haugesund Norway. It was my surprise of the festival, and indeed, at the screening it was subbed in English. The director of the film was at the screening and it was quite a special event.

Looking forward to reading Pro's review. I remember having a very different feeling from watching this film, The film is seen from a single persepective, and the timelessness of theperiod, from the perspective of someone in one of the camps comes through.

I remember one moment in the film, which made me think, ... whenthese people are in a situation that is so full of dispare and horror, the measurements of happy moments, are on a totally different scale from ours. Its hard to even call our scale reality, as for these people, their scale, was in fact, and sadly, reality.

Paraphrase...
"no one ever mentions the happy moments in the camp".

I thought for many many weeks upon that line in the film.
Old 12-03-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

UK and US dates have been set:

UK-Dogwoof Pictures
US-ThinkFilm

UK poster

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 12-03-05, 03:27 PM

Here's hoping ThinkFilm does a better job with this than they did with Kontroll....

Ted
Old 01-03-06, 07:36 PM

Thanks to Pro B's advice I decided to use Filmsarok.su! I ended up sending the guy Western Union, and I got the package within 2 weeks or so. The Fateless 2-disc includes a frame of the film framed in a fateless card within the digipack. I'm not sure if Pro B mentioned it, but it was a nice surprise for me. It's just a really nice looking set to be honest.

Got a few more also, including Argo and the amazing Kontrol 2-disc digipack

Any other suggestions Pro B?
Old 01-04-06, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Splatti:

Great to hear that you picked those up! I really think that both Kontroll and Fateless look superb and together with the film/extras presentation are amongst the best European DVDs I added up to my collection last year. That is why they made my Top 10 list (1st and 4th place). Now with this said, I don’t quite know what genres you favor so if you need a specific answer with the following recommendations…ask:

Kincskereső kisködmön (Magyarország - 1973)!!!
Az utolsó blues
Bánk bán (opera-film)!!!
Szezon
Moszkva tér (2DVD) !!!
Valami Amerika
Tesó

These are films that I will be picking up soon (provided I don't end up spending on Czech films). I also have another list with a lot of Classic Hungarian titles but I am not sure they will be of any interest to you. These are mostly social dramas with heavy Soviet influence so probably not very good to recommend.

To answer your question...my Fateless disc came with the leaflet you mentioned but not the frame. In fact, I have been meaning to write a review for DVDTALK since I placed this film as my top pick last year but I have been rather busy with the reviews I need to send every week...now that we have a 30 day window to fit.

Also, I have been working on confirming the status of the Bela Tarr discs (all of them English friendly) which one of my Hungarian contacts claims have a different origin when compared to Artificial Eye and Facets. In fact, I am certain that the two discs that appear through Facets will be definitely better but need more info on the Werckmeister harmóniák before I post here for the rest of you to consider. Either way all of the preliminary info I have is that these are not the same masters. Here are the cover works (once again very classy Hungarian designs...putting both Facets and Artificial Eye to shame). I suppose I will just order them with the next batch!! Here, look at the classy covers:
http://www.xpress.hu/dvd/keres.asp?k...39410603419326

As I think that you would probably want some more contemporary films I would strongly recommend the double disc of Moszkva tér which is reminiscent of Goodbye Lenin, well, to a certain degree as it deals with the aftermath of the Velvet Revolution. Just about all of the colleagues I keep in touch with have given this film excellent reviews. The DVD as it seems is once again a top-notch Hungarian package...DTS, English subs, second disc of extras...just the perfect deal. I have it in the list above but here's the direct link:
http://www.filmsarok.hu/index.php?page=film&fid=1531

If you want to see a good satire...this one pokes good fun of most things American in Hungary...Valami America...also a double DVD package...
http://www.filmsarok.hu/index.php?page=film&fid=1456

If you need another serious film that deals with the Holocaust...here's a film which the Hungarian press seems to like very, very much:
http://www.netpiac.hu/display/index....ermek_id=5245#

Last but not least here are some of the more recent Hungarian films that are worthy of checking out (keep an eye on this site as just about all new Hungarian productions are shown...)
http://www.filmkultura.iif.hu:8080/2.../index.en.html

Last but not least...good to hear that you had a great experience with Peter. I think that he is 100% straightforward guy and once he can afford to run both VISA/MC I will definitely want to have his site linked in the international database for others to benefit.

Very classy Kontroll set isn't it? I am just so happy and impressed that the Hungarians are treating their films with such respect. I used to always place the French on the top when it came down to classy and quality presentations of European cinema but with Hungary (and now the Czech Republic) these days...can't get enough ...I love the classy look, the finesse...everything!!!

Well, hope you find something above...if you need more info either ask or send me an email.

Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
...a small correction the site ends up with hu..for Hungary...not su...

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-04-06 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-04-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did some research:

Kontroll 2-Disc can be ordered here: Numero7.com Price: USD 26.80
Old 01-04-06, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

splatti, how much was the shipping and the charge for western union if you don't mind me asking. I ask because i remember when ordering the 2 disc Kontroll from numero7 that a western union was very expensive.
Old 01-04-06, 07:59 AM

BuddhaWake

The shipping was $20 (yes, a lot) but it seemed to be $20 for 2-4 dvd's, so if you buy 3 or 4 discs it works out. (I removed 1 dvd and the shipping stayed the same, so I added it back) "Argo" for example was only $9 US for the 2-disc! Average it out to $5-7 shipping per disc and it's a $14-$16 DVD. I do know that the Western Union cost was $12 Canadian, and I know this because of prior experiences. I have sent Western Union to my ex in the US (I'm in Canada) and it cost me more to send money to Ohio than to Hungary for some reason for roughly the same amount!?

If my memory serves me correctly both Kontrol and Fateless were approx $15 before shipping from filmsarok.hu.

I'm going to take a look at Pro B's suggestions. I actually just rented "Werckmeister harmóniák" from a local arthouse rental place and loved it (the AI version). I would be interested in that also!

Thanks again Pro B...
Old 01-04-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks. that not too bad. I'll probably do it next week although i thought about ordering some stuff from brazil.
Old 01-04-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by splattii
I'm going to take a look at Pro B's suggestions...
If you are going to email Peter again ask him to confirm for you which pressing of Salo he carries. This new disc that some of the Hungarian sites sell seems to be English friendly, anamorphic (though 1.78:1 and not 1.85:1) and I can't stop thinking that it is the French master. (Why?...all of the MK2 French titles are licensed for the Hungarian market). So, if you are going to order again ask Peter to confirm the specs (aspect ratio).

Salo:
http://www.xpress.hu/dvd/film.asp?FI...39410603419326

Jules and Jim:
http://www.xpress.hu/dvd/film.asp?FI...39410603419326

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-04-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by splattii
I do know that the Western Union cost was $12 Canadian,...
Hmm, I'm in the U.S. and looked into Western Union a few months ago when I tried to pick up "Kontroll" from Numero7 in Hungary, I don't recall the exact figure but I remember the cost for using Western Union appeared to come out way too rich for my blood (maybe it was around $20-25 U.S.). Maybe I was mistaken in my research.

BuddhaWake (or anyone else), if/when you get around to placing an order, and if you don't have any objections, please post here your Western Union charge. Though I've been following with interest this discussion, I always assumed the high Western Union charges would prohibit my actually going through with an order.

All this talk of Western Union makes me want to pull out my copy of the Fritz Lang Western which goes by the same name.
Old 01-05-06, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found this place: MCOnet.hu

Kontroll 2-disc is only USD14.50 without shipping.

They seem to ship to anywhere in the world. Managed to create an account, though.

So if a friendly person, who understand Hungarian, could help with the translation I would appreciate it.
Old 01-05-06, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FaustBos
Saw a screening of this film at the Nordic Film Festival in Haugesund Norway. It was my surprise of the festival, and indeed, at the screening it was subbed in English. The director of the film was at the screening and it was quite a special event.
The screening at last month's Washington DC Jewish Film Festival also had the director in attendence, with a fascinating post screening Q&A.

Very impressive unforgettable film. Recommended.
Old 01-06-06, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI:

Got a reply from the Hungarian online store NetPiac.hu from where one can order with Credit Card. The person translated the whole ordering process into English. Talking about friendly service!

I´ll post the translated ordering process later after I have placed an order.

Pro-bassoonist, if this really works out you might add this store to the International retailer list.

Regards,
Old 01-06-06, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dane
FYI:

Got a reply from the Hungarian online store NetPiac.hu from where one can order with Credit Card. The person translated the whole ordering process into English. Talking about friendly service!

I´ll post the translated ordering process later after I have placed an order.

Pro-bassoonist, if this really works out you might add this store to the International retailer list.

Regards,
Please do it asap. I can't wait.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.