Alastair Sim's A CHRISTMAS CAROL / SCROOGE - apparently now canceled

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alastair Sim's A CHRISTMAS CAROL / SCROOGE - apparently now canceled

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So apparently, the Morningstar "Emerald Edition" is merely OK, though it sounds better than the current VCI edition.

The R2 edition was released earlier this week by DD Entertainment. Has any of our friends "across the pond" picked it up yet? If so, how does it look/sound? It's currently available via play.com. Here's the link.

But before anyone buys, Play has another link to a 2-disc special edition that is set to be released in April of next year. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is this just another, beefed-up edition from DD?

Boy, finding a definitive edition of Scrooge is becoming quite a quest!
Old 11-19-05, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ambassador
So apparently, the Morningstar "Emerald Edition" is merely OK, though it sounds better than the current VCI edition.

The R2 edition was released earlier this week by DD Entertainment. Has any of our friends "across the pond" picked it up yet? If so, how does it look/sound? It's currently available via play.com. Here's the link.

But before anyone buys, Play has another link to a 2-disc special edition that is set to be released in April of next year. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is this just another, beefed-up edition from DD?

Boy, finding a definitive edition of Scrooge is becoming quite a quest!
All in all, I am satisfied with the Emerald edition but I wouldn't mind double-dipping eventually if offered a version with truly restored sound.
Old 12-16-06, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Barrie Maxwell's latest column at The Bits:

"There is word that VCI will have a new version of the 1951 Scrooge out on DVD for Christmas, but for 2007, not this year. The source material will be a new 35mm fine grain print."
Old 12-16-06, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
From Barrie Maxwell's latest column at The Bits:

"There is word that VCI will have a new version of the 1951 Scrooge out on DVD for Christmas, but for 2007, not this year. The source material will be a new 35mm fine grain print."
That's excellent news. Somebody's needed to use good source material for this film for years, and VCI can do superb work when they want to (City of the Dead, for example). Too bad we have to wait another year, but considering what we have for alternatives so far, it should be worth the wait.
Old 09-14-07, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Well, the VCI 2-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition is coming out October 23, 2007:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30406

It looks like a doozer: completely restored image from the original negative, 2.0 and 5.1 stereo remixes, plus a 16x9 anamorphic version and the previously released VCI colour version (based on the unrestored film). And a bushel of supplements and commentaries...

It may have arrived a few months early, but VCI's new edition of A Christmas Carol will make a fine gift for fans of the cherished holiday classic. Most of us are familiar with Dickens' tale in one form or another, while this "Alastair Sim version" is, quite possibly, the most popular and enduring thus far...aside from the original book, of course. VCI has really delivered the goods with this 2-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition, throwing almost anything and everything they could muster into one thoughtful package. It's not a perfect effort, of course: the alternate widescreen/colorized versions and the optional 5.1 track are a bit superfluous, while the red subtitles are a complete eyesore. Still, the bases have been covered very nicely, as this release boasts an excellent visual presentation and a comprehensive set of bonus features. All things considered, A Christmas Carol is an affordable and well-rounded package that comes Highly Recommended.

Last edited by baracine; 09-15-07 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-14-07, 09:24 AM
Suspended

From dvdtown.com's review:

VCI's last remastering was pretty good, but in comparison this new restoration displays even sharper definition, brighter contrasts, and, most important, less dirt, film grain, and video noise. (Note that by blowing up the picture to a small degree in the 16x9 version, we get proportionately less good definition.) Also, when I say the contrasts are brighter, in some cases they may almost be too intense, the blacks so deep and the whites so white they can at times stand out glaringly. But it sure is pretty. And being able to watch the movie without those annoying specks, flecks, and lines occasionally making their presence known is also a joy.
(http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/christmas-carol-a/5091)

The two reviewers have somewhat conflicting views on the audio:

Dvdtown:

The VCI restoration engineers remastered the sound as well, this time providing Dolby Digital 2.0 monaural and 5.1 as well. In DD 5.1 we get a reasonably wide sonic spread across the front speakers, although I did not notice a lot happening in the surrounds beyond some minor musical ambience reinforcement and perhaps a moan or groan or two from Marley's ghost. The shortcomings, as I heard them, were that the frequency and dynamic ranges remain understandably limited, the background is a little noisy, and the overall tonal balance is a trifle forward, making the dialogue seem slightly pinched and edgy. In DD 2.0 the sound is a bit smoother, if also a bit noisier. The fact is, the new audio reproduction does not quite match the quality of the new video. I would liked to have seen VCI apply a little more noise reduction to the sound, which might have even helped, subjectively, to iron out the midrange; I don't know. Nevertheless, the audio will not disappoint listeners, assuming they do not turn up the volume too very loud.
Dvdtalk:

As for the audio presentation, the Dolby Digital 2.0 mix sounds fairly good overall. Dialogue and music rarely fight for attention, while the only notable blemishes are most likely due to the source material. A brand-new 5.1 remix has also been created from the original audio stems, but the rear channels are weighted heavily and often drown out the dialogue. As with the video quality rating, the audio score is based on the original mix, not the monkeyed-around-with version. Both mixes show a reasonable effort from VCI, but the sounds aren't quite as polished as the visuals.
Which is it??!!

Last edited by baracine; 09-14-07 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-14-07, 09:39 AM
Suspended

The package also includes:

(...) the 1935 Adaptation of Scrooge starring Seymour Hicks (59:41, below left). Directed by Henry Edwards, this slightly condensed version remains an underrated film that fans should enjoy; unfortunately, it hasn't been carefully restored like the main feature. Dirt, debris, darkness and flickering plague Scrooge from start to finish, but there's a certain charm and spookiness that comes with the film's worn-out appearance. Divided into roughly 12 chapters, it's a welcome bonus that stands in good contrast with the main feature.

Last edited by baracine; 09-15-07 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-14-07, 09:41 AM
Suspended

I'm definitely getting this for the improved sound and B&W picture. Being a fan of colourized films, I am a little disappointed that this colour version is the same old one that was previously available and based on the unrestored film but as I don't even own that one, it will be icing on the cake.
Old 09-14-07, 01:17 PM
Suspended

According to a contributor to Amazon.com ("Mr. Jim"), who may or may not be the official spokesperson for VCI Entertainment, this is how the restoration was accomplished (http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Caro...p/B000SR0DDE):

Hats off to VCI Entertainment President Robert A. Blair, for this wonderful restored version of "Scrooge" --- the reason is VCI had access to the original 35mm film elements so they were able to supervise the films transfer and restoration." --- The highlight of this new DVD is the beautifully restored original black and white version --- This was accomplished by using the talent and state-of-the-art technology available at Point 360 in Burbank California --- The first step in the process was to do a complete new high definition film transfer from the multiple sources of 35mm film elements provided. Point 360 determined the best footage on a scene-by-scene basis and then assembled our video "supermaster" --- Overall dirt and film grain were removed from the picture using digital noise reduction --- Point 360 then used their own proprietary computer process to remove additional anomalies, dirt, hair and scratches from the picture on a frame-by-frame basis --- the final stage VCI's own video director made a final pass through the master to fine-tune the picture and remove additional imperfections --- perfection was the result.

Last edited by baracine; 09-14-07 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by baracine
Which is it??!!
Obviously the second.
Old 09-14-07, 03:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Obviously the second.
I'd rather take your word for it as I like the idea of my rear surrounds actually having something to do for a change.
Old 09-15-07, 12:24 AM

LEGEND FILMS is releasing a new DVD of the 1935 Seymore Hicks version of the film fully restored in b/w and colorized. Based on the restorations I've seen done by them it seems VERY promising.

The IMAGE disc was the best version available to date but it was still far from great, apparently taken from a PAL transfer and pretty pricey from what I remember...but I was still glad to have it. I love the Scrooge movies.
Old 10-25-07, 02:53 PM
Suspended

This DVD did not come out in Toronto stores on Tuesday and not even on Amazon.ca. So I took advantage of the new strength of the Canadian dollar and ordered it from Amazon.com for practically no money.
Old 11-07-07, 11:59 AM
Suspended

It came in last night by mail from Amazon.com for practically no money, thanks to the new strength of the Canadian dollar and American low prices...

First I did the Ren & Stimpy Happy dance right there in front of the mailbox...

Then I started counting the goodies on these 2 disks.

The bottomline: The B&W restoration is magnificent. All the missing frames, pops and hisses from the "Emerald" edition restoration have been fixed. For the first time on video, you can actually get into the picture instead of being distanced from it by all the intervening layers of dirt, scratches, instability, shimmering and variable contrast. The audio options on all 3 versions (4x3, 16x9 and colourized) are Mono 2.0 (very fat mono of the cleaned-up soundtrack) and a 5.1 remix. This 5.1 remix is stupendous, especially in the most sonically ambitious scene, the apparition of Marley. In previous versions, the noisy montage of bells, chimes and other ringing sounds was deafening and conflicted with the beautiful musical score, the dialog and tape hiss. In this version, everything is audible, clear as a bell and non-conflicting. The music comes through beautifully and the creepy sound effects are really scary. Especially Marley's chains creeping up on you from behind...

As Scrooge would say: "Insects can't help being what they are. An ant is an ant. A grasshopper is a grasshopper and a colourization job, Sir, is a humbug!"

Yes, as colours go, this one is a bit of a disappointment, certainly not up to Legend Films' new standard of quality and far from the "ultimate colour version": the colours are poorly chosen (lots of green and red as befits a Christmas film but also like the first generation of colourized films and the woordwork looks like a copper kettle). Still, it's been done on a relatively good print of the film (it's the British "Scrooge" version, actually) - though not the magnificently restored one on Disc 1. I have a lot of affection, however, for the 16x9 version which gives a new perspective on the whole film. This is something I have experimented with on my widescreen set and it's nice to have someone do it for you with the added bonus of extra definition. In a word, this screen shape gives added importance to forward camera movements, like when the camera moves in on Scrooge when Marley appears. Now if they could only have added a 16x9 colour version with 5.1 mix... Just kidding!!!

I've only skimmed the extras on the two discs and have a lot more to discover. Two versions (4x3 and 16x9) have a commentary, the two sound options and a descriptive track for the blind - a first for me - which in fact would make the film sound like a radio program of the 40's if only the female narrator put a little more soul into it instead of sounding like a phone operator. The colour version has only the 2.0 mono and descriptive track for the blind. The 1935 British version is very dark but at least the picture is stable and, as they say, the play's the thing, the actors are good and it shows many innovations (lika an invisible Marley, very daring expressionist lighting effects and an elaborate score) even though it couldn't have been serious competition for the MGM version.

P.S.: As this disk came in on the same day as the double French documentary Discovering Cinema on the invention of sound recording and colour film (http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Ci...4466005&sr=1-1) and Give Peace a Song (http://www.amazon.com/John-Yoko-Give...461119&sr=1-1), a new edition of the National Film Board of Canada/CBC footage of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Montreal bed-in of 1969 with A SPECIAL PETULA CLARK* INTERVIEW (she was present when they recorded "Give Peace a Chance"), this is really a red letter day for me!

* Petula Clark being the Queen of the Universe:

Last edited by baracine; 11-08-07 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-11-07, 10:42 AM
Suspended

I've now watched the 1935 Scrooge/A Chrismas Carol in its entirety and I like it. The image is scratched but it's stable. It may have been preserved on 16 mm, I don't know. But the sound is pretty good for a film of that period: no hiss, no pops, almost no missing frames and the voices and the music are clear. The image is very dark and I had to up the Brightness level quite a bit. The only differences with the novel are that this film, despite its (I suppose) limited budget and 1 hour length, does indulge quite a bit in showing the pomp of a London 1840's Christmas celebration with the Lord Mayor of London (with lots of extras - borrowed from another film?) the better to contrast with Scrooge's miserly habits. A lots of scenes have been shortened or eliminated (Scrooge's schooldays, Fizziwig's ball, the death of Scrooge's sister, the two waifs,) but Scrooge's sweetheart's numerous children and her husband are shown, as well as Tiny Tim's deathbed and ample time is given Scrooge's final reformation. The acting is superb and natural, though less memorable - and declamatory - than the Sim's version, which is practically Shakespearian by comparison. The scene at the ragman's and the whole Spirit of Christmas yet to come segment is particularly endebted to expressionistic cinema: the play of shadows à la Nosferatu, the scary faces à la Wicked Witch from Snow White (1937), etc. Athene Seyler, best remembered as Mrs. Karswell of Night of the Demon (1957) plays Scrooge's charwoman in an unrecognizable unibrow make-up.

A very valid addition to this set and highly recommended.

Last edited by baracine; 11-12-07 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isn't the print of the 1935 version the same truncated 60 min copy that's on a bunch of PD labels?

The only full length DVD I know of was released by Image and runs 78 mins. Fans of the 1935 version should track that disc down for sure.
Old 11-12-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
To me, Petula Clark looks amazingly like Drew Barrymore this morning.
Old 11-12-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, looks like Ill finally get this... And I have about $50.00 CAD left over from my trip to Toronto a few weeks ago that I'll use
Old 11-12-07, 11:14 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
To me, Petula Clark looks amazingly like Drew Barrymore this morning.
The main difference is that Pet has talent, of course.
Old 11-12-07, 11:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Isn't the print of the 1935 version the same truncated 60 min copy that's on a bunch of PD labels?

The only full length DVD I know of was released by Image and runs 78 mins. Fans of the 1935 version should track that disc down for sure.
You're right. There is an uncut 78-min version:

http://www.amazon.com/Scrooge-Seymou...4887859&sr=1-4

from Image Entertainment:

Old 11-12-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, that's the one.
Old 11-12-07, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by baracine
You're right. There is an uncut 78-min version:

http://www.amazon.com/Scrooge-Seymou...4887859&sr=1-4

from Image Entertainment:
It looks like there's a new release this year of that version as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=22ADIWBVR2NRU
Old 11-12-07, 04:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marvin
It looks like there's a new release this year of that version as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=22ADIWBVR2NRU
It's discussed on another thread started by Carcosa. It's a Legend Films colourized version but, unfortunately, of the 1 hour shortened version.
Old 11-12-07, 07:10 PM

Here the colorized version of the Christmas Carol 1951

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DAib6LwKAQ

For a work of late 80's or early 90's it didn't look so bad. Seens well balanced, despite of limited technology back then.

Baracine, this Image Entertainment edition http://www.amazon.com/Scrooge-Seymo...94887859&sr=1-4 , uses a 35mm print and quite acceptable shape, accoding a forum member coment.
Old 11-12-07, 08:25 PM

Yes, the posting by Baracine shows the cover of the Image release and THAT is the one to get although its now OOP. It's unfortunate that Legend could not get a hold of that as their source...it would have benefit from some digital restoration and the colorized version would have been really interesting given what they managed to do with the poor print they had to work with.

A quick check on Amazon shows plenty of copies available of the Image disc for around $10 and below. I see only one on eBay at this moment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.