Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER Series - Which book is your favorite?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: Which book is your favorite?
DT1: The Gunslinger
5.41%
DT2: The Drawing of the Three
18.92%
DT3: The Waste Lands
5.41%
DT4: Wizards & Glass
59.46%
DT5: Wolves of the Calla
2.70%
DT6: Song of Susannah
0%
DT7: The Dark Tower
8.11%
DT8: Twikoff Rides Again
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just finished the series this morning. I posted my initial thoughts in the Dark Tower discussion thread. I'm a little sad that the journey is over but it sure was a helluva ride.

So, constant readers, which book did you like the best?

I voted for The Drawing of the Three.

Also, please no spoilers from DT7. Many people still haven't read/finished that book yet.

Last edited by automator; 10-08-04 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-09-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I voted DT I, The Gunslinger. However, I have to admit I haven't read the first 3 books in over 10 years, but I do recall Gunslinger being my favorite at the time.

I plan on re-reading those 3 at least, and maybe the whole series eventually. I've read the last 3 books within the last few months, so I don't think I will tackle them again too soon unless I find some new perspective and think it would be enlightening to give them another go.

Series ending spoiler
Spoiler:
I was planning to do this at some point anyway, but the ending at the tower has given me some additional encouragement.

I think DT2 is also a very respectable choice, but I must admit I see it in a bad light because of it's abrupt departure from the tone of the first book. A backlash from dashed hopes I guess. I think re-reading it after seeing how the series went will give me a more objective position to judge it.
Old 10-09-04, 08:50 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Easily, Wizard & Glass for me. Loved the character development, storyline, atmosphere, EVERYTHING! I have been a big TOWER fan for many years and I just feel it is the best written of all seven - IMO.
Old 10-09-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JAA
Easily, Wizard & Glass for me. Loved the character development, storyline, atmosphere, EVERYTHING! I have been a big TOWER fan for many years and I just feel it is the best written of all seven - IMO.
Without a doubt, W&G is easily my second choice. Great book.

I was hoping we would get another installment in the back story somewhere is books 5, 6 or 7.
Old 10-13-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
I liked nearly all of them equally, the only one I did not care for was SoS, voted for the Final book as I saw a ceartin poetic bent to ending it that way.
Old 10-13-04, 03:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Toss-up between The Drawing of the Three and Wizards and Glass.
Old 10-13-04, 05:05 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm rereading the series now (I've previously read the first four) and just finished the Wastelands. The first time through, I didn't like the Gunslinger or Wizard and Glass very much. I'm getting into Roland a lot more this time, though, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy Wizard and Glass more than I did last time.

Anyway, of the four I've read, I think the Wastelands is my favorite. Once I get through the whole series, I'll see if I feel the same way.
Old 10-14-04, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is kind of off-topic, but I'm wondering about the contents of this series. Is it appropriate for kids/teens? I know King in the past hasn't been shy about profanity and sex in his writing- do these have any of that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wijamie22
This is kind of off-topic, but I'm wondering about the contents of this series. Is it appropriate for kids/teens? I know King in the past hasn't been shy about profanity and sex in his writing- do these have any of that?

Thanks in advance.
kids
teens

Lotsa profanity & a good amount of sex. Like it should be.
Old 10-17-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I voted for W&G, but I think Im the only one who ranks WOTC second...I found Gunslinger and Song of Suzanna to be the bottom 2, even though I read 6 in about 10 hours
Old 10-18-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cripes.

I loathed "Wizards and Glass." In my estimation it was the weakest of all the books, dwelling for-freakin'-ever on that go-nowhere Holly Hobbie cowboy romance baloney.
Old 10-18-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by wijamie22

Thanks in advance.
See that is what is wrong with this country. Profanity and sex? Sure there is a little profanity and sex with a demon, but I would be more worried about the violence and gore that King is known for. There hasn't been a ton of that, but there are some intense/graphic scenes not appropriate for immature readers.

That being said, when I originally read them the first time W&G was my least favorite. Only because I was waiting for the conclusion to the Blaine the Pain story that was a huge cliffhanger in tWL. What do we get in 4? Maybe 100 pages of story advancement, and 400 pages of backstory. At the time, it peeved me to no end, I wanted the story to move, it seemed at the end of 4, we really weren't much further than when 3 ended.

Anyway, I re-read them all before WotC came out and now, W&G is my favorite. Just a different frame of mind going into it that time. Drawing of the Three is a close second, but I haven't finished 7 yet.
Old 10-19-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm in a similar boat with Michael Corvin ... W&G used to be pretty low on my list, but now it is my favorite. It's gotten to the point that if I just need 10-15 minutes to read something comforting, I'll pick up the book and just flip to random page and start it up .

As for an appropriate age level ... I tried to read the Gunslinger when I was 10, but I never got much further than the shootout at Tull. Especially with the original version, that novel is not an easy read for a youngster. I think I finally got through it, and all subsequent books out at that point, when I was around 14.
Old 10-23-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

W&G is my personal fave. I don't know why, the story and romance of it just resonated with me for some reason. My least fav would have to be WOTC. Don't get me wrong, the story was good, but I just didn't feel anything after the book was over. It kinda left me cold, but that may change after I finish rereading all the novels in order.
Old 11-02-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No love for WotC and SoS. I'm not surprised.

King obviously rushed the last three. I liked having a couple of years between books. Although it was great to have the story in my life for the better part of the last year.