Community
Search

Do you like commentary tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Do you like commentary tracks?

I have to say, I'm not a huge fan. I try to like them, but I just can't into them. Perhaps the only one I've really ever cared for is the live commentary on the UCB disc, where they answer questions and give some interesting tidbits about the show. But I couldn't imagine going through a whole movie (again). I guess there are some movies where I'd like to know more (like Braveheart) but just to listen to a commentary for the sake of it is just not my game.

What about the rest of you?
Old 12-02-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will put an audio commentary on in the background while I am cleaning or cooking, or whwnever I am doing something that does not require me to be watching TV. Some are funny, some are informative and some suck. Overall I enjoy them.
Old 12-02-03, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have to really like the movie to listen to a commentray. And it sucks that sometimes movies I desperately actually want a commentary for does not have one like "Signs." or any M Night movie for that matter.

Or if I hear the track is really funny like Clerks I will listen. I have probably listened to about 20% of the commentray tracks on the discs I have.
Old 12-02-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sort of feel the same thing (as wfujosh) . . . I've never actually watched a movie all the way through with the commentary on (although, the parts of it that I saw on The Goonies disc were pretty funny). I think part of it is that I feel like I really need to know the movie prety well before I can appreciate the commentary, because you can't always tell what's going on in the movie (conversationally) when the commentary track is on. There are not a ton of movie that I feel like I know well enough to do that.

It's unfortunate though, because I think I would enjoy the information, stories, jokes, etc. I plan on trying it with some in the future (LOTR especially) but, the other problem is that I also have a stack of "have not watched yet" DVD's to go through and I can imagine watching commentary tracks on ones I've seen while I have a bunch that I haven't seen at all yet.

Don't get me wrong though . . . I like the idea, I just don't feel like I can take advantage of it.

Edit: Ooooh . . . cruzness . . . I like the idea of listening while doing other stuff. I may have to try that.

Last edited by talemyn; 12-02-03 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 12:34 PM
Banned

I actually tried to listen to them while working out but it just didnt work for me.
Old 12-02-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you throw commentary track on an average DVD it really increases my interest in that movie. I'm way behind in listening to the ones I have but it just means I have to listen to more each week and I'm fine with that.

There are a few tracks I've made a note of because they are so good. I listen to them once a year or so and I enjoy them more and more each year.
Old 12-02-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
There are a few tracks I've made a note of because they are so good. I listen to them once a year or so and I enjoy them more and more each year.
Care to share?
Old 12-02-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I love them, although i don't get around to listening/watching all of them like i should.
Old 12-02-03, 01:44 PM
Banned

Yes all of the ones I've listened to were incredibly informative. I think you have to have a strong interest in the movie or the person giving the commentary to be able to sit through an entire movie. I would highly recommend Steven Soderberg's commentaries. Highly informative and entertaining.
Old 12-02-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes
Old 12-02-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't even have enough time to watch new discs as they come in, so I rarely ever listen to commentaries and I'm not too bummed about it to be honest. Maybe if I didn't have to work during the day...
Old 12-02-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
Care to share?
All Kevin Smith movies
Fight Club
Se7en

Those are my top favorites.
Old 12-02-03, 02:13 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Yup - I listen to them while at work every so often.
Old 12-02-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd prefer that information be contained in a seperate feature on the disc. I find those much more interesting and for most commentaries I don't think you'd be missing much. Sometimes I'll put on a commentary and then mute the TV and channel surf while listening.
Old 12-02-03, 02:16 PM

I'm not a big commentary watcher/listener, but a couple of the ones I really enjoyed>>

Ghostbusters
Finding Nemo
Toy Story

Still haven't seen/listened to the casablanca and citizen kane commentaries. Anyone else care to share their favs?
Old 12-02-03, 02:17 PM
SeeNo Member

I don't really know if I like them or not cause I've never listened to one before but I might try it sometime.
Old 12-02-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never played a commentary track, and I still have about 100 unwatched movies. I keep saying some....day.
Old 12-02-03, 02:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I really like the technical commentaries, but I think I'm in the minority because those are usually dismissed as boring.

Roger Ebert gives good commentary too. I'd love to hear him do some on movies he hates.

When the South Park commentaries came out on CD I took them to work and listened to them there. It actually worked really well. I'm thinking about ripping some commentaries I haven't heard off my DVD's and doing the same thing with those.
Old 12-02-03, 02:23 PM

I like having commentary tracks, as it gives you a lot of insight about any movie you enjoy. I don't listen to all of them, but I have listened to all the Simpson ones, and those are great. You learn a lot from them and they're usually really funny. I also want to listen to the LOTR ones.

The most informative one I have listened to is Roger Ebert's commentary on Citizen Kane. It gave me an understanding as to why that film is considered so great. I think its hard to appreciate old films in this era, so I'm sure Citizen Kane has been lost on many generations.

I always watch commentaries while watching the movies with subtitles on. I think I tried just listening to them, but it wasn't quite the same..

EDIT: For all you people who have never watched commentaries, try to watch the commentary on your favorite movie. You'll probably learn a lot, and since its your favorite you probably won't mind watching it again,
Old 12-02-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love 'em. Just don't have the time anymore to listen to them.

Might try some of the suggestions above.
Old 12-02-03, 02:31 PM

I like 'em. Favorites include "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "This is Spinal Tap," and "Chasing Amy."
Old 12-02-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really like them. I wish more movies could have them. I do the same, just put them on when I go to bed, work on the computer or around the house and just listen. A must for any extra.
Old 12-02-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Driller Killer commentary cracks me up every time.
Old 12-02-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love them. I will listen/watch them whenever I get the chance, but my problem is after I've seen the movie I usually want to move onto another title that is in my backlog rather than rewatch the film with a commentary track.

That is precisely my problem with the TTT:EE. I've already watched it twice: once normally, the other with PJ's commentary on. Now that I have the Alien set I want to get through all of the movies and bonus material in that, in addition to Pirates and Alias. I have no idea when I will get a chance to sit down and watch TTT:EE with one of the other 3 commentary tracks. So, mostly it's just a time issue with me. If I had more time I would listen to more of them.
Old 12-02-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Love 'em (with a few exceptions) - just about my favorite "extra" on a DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.