Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 Question - Used 60GB or New 80GB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 Question - Used 60GB or New 80GB?

I'm thinking about getting a ps3 and have the option to get a returned 60gb from an auction for anywhere from $300 - $400, depending on what's missing and the condition it's in. (Sample details below). Or I have the option of getting a brand new ps3 80gb that comes with motostorm for roughly $400 - $500 (after gift certificates and such).

It seems that the usual consensus is to always go for a 60gb if you can for the dedicated BC hardware, but does this carry through if the 60gb is a return and doesn't have perhaps the same warranty?

I'll mainly be getting the ps3 for it's blu-ray capability (to complement my amazing hd-a3!), but will also use it for playing some ps3 games (fall of man) and some ps2 games (kingdom hearts 1&2, ddr, plus maybe picking up some bargain bin games).

Any thoughts?

Sample return up for auction (this one is currently at an auction price of $270 plus $30 shipping. I have seen the ones with nothing missing and no cosmetic damage go around $350 or so, plus $30 shipping... but it just depends on the day.)
Manufacturer: SONY
Model Number: 98000

Items Included in this auction:
Playstation 3 Unit With 60 Gb Hard Drive
Wireless Controller
Ac Power Cord
Av Cable
Ethernet Cable
Usb Cable

Delivery Only (No Pick-up)
Items Not Included:
Manuals

Product Condition: Tested Working
Physical Condition: Some fine scratches or minor scuffs
Old 01-22-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a Blu-Ray player only, grab the 40GB. If you want PS2 support I would really suggest the 60GB. There's no need to spend the extra $100 to have crippled functionality and Motorstorm will be $20 or less in no time if you really wanted that.
Old 01-22-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
What Pixy said. Motorstorm is already down to $20 used on half.com, btw.
Old 01-22-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll third that. Go for the 60GB. Can't the HDD be replaced with a larger one anyways?
Old 01-22-08, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. The auction site gives this caveat:
Manufacturer warranty
Since items purchased may be open-box and/or may be previously sold or registered, they may, or may not include a manufacturer warranty. Please contact the manufacturer to confirm any warranty coverage if required.
Should I be concerned that I might not qualify for the manufacturer's warranty if I go with the 60gb?

Also, what should I spend no more than? Does the $300 seem like a good max or is the 60gb worth even going up to $400 (even though I'd clearly like to spend the least amount possible)
Old 01-22-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Where are you purchasing from? I purchased a remanufactured PS3 from DealADeal.com (who also does auctions) and since it was refurbished by Sony came with a 90 day warranty. I would assume the Best Buy Outlet auctions on eBay do as well... so it all depends on where you're getting it from. I think $350 shipped or so is a nice solid figure for a refurb'd 60gb PS3. Though if you're really concerned, you could try getting a squaretrade.com warranty on it (~ $40 a year (-50% for each additional year) for refurb/used items at around $300)

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-08 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The PS3 has not suffered the failure rate the 360 has, so I wouldn't sweet the warrenty. I paid $600 for a launch PS3, so even $400 seems like a great deal.
Old 01-22-08, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Where are you purchasing from? I purchased a remanufactured PS3 from DealADeal.com (who also does auctions) and since it was refurbished by Sony came with a 90 day warranty. I would assume the Best Buy Outlet auctions on eBay do as well... so it all depends on where you're getting it from. I think $350 shipped or so is a nice solid figure for a refurb'd 60gb PS3. Though if you're really concerned, you could try getting a squaretrade.com warranty on it (~ $40 a year (-50% for each additional year) for refurb/used items at around $300)
Hmmm, I didn't even realize that best buy had an outlet presence on ebay. They have an internal auction site which I've been looking at. But now I'm curious... the ebay listings say that the original box is included. The internal auction site doesn't say anything of the kind, so I wonder if the box is not included. I assume that the box is necessary to get the 5 free blu-rays?
Old 01-22-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Provided that box still has a UPC.
Old 01-22-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with a used 20GB off ebay for $320 about 7-8 months ago. Since PS3s appear to be fairly reliable at this time I wasn't too worried about warranty. I don't ever get extended warranties for anything. Except my 360. Which of course is almost a year old and no RROD.

PS2 BC is very important to me. I don't even have any PS3 games yet (I had Warhawk briefly), my PS3 is a blu-ray / PS2 /PS1 box.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 01-22-08 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 03:56 PM

Thanks everybody for your help.

I have a 60gb PS3 on its way for a little under $350 (after tax and shipping). Apparently there are only some fine scratches on it but it comes with all the cables and manuals. Just hoping now that it will all work and maybe just maybe comes with the box and upc.
Old 01-24-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The thing that most people never consider is that if your PS3 fails entirely (eg. logic board or something) then it will most likely be replaced by Sony with a non BC model. Luckily the failure rate for the PS3 seems really low, but you shouldn't necessarily expect to count on the BC of your PS3 indefinitely.

Anyway, sounds like you got quite a good deal on the 60G.
Old 01-24-08, 08:32 PM

My 60 gb PS3 lasted about 4 months before the Blu-ray drive broke. Sony's customer support really sucks. Even though the PS3 was obviously less than a year old, they failed to honor the warranty and said I had to pay them $150 to get it fixed. I ended up selling it on ebay and buying a new 40 gb PS3. I have a 2 year warranty with the new one through my credit card, so I don't have to worry about Sony's "customer service." I'm still ticked off at Sony. I usually don't recommend getting extended warranties, but with the way Sony operates, I would recommend getting one for this machine.
Old 01-25-08, 09:28 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard that the 80gig version allows backward compatibility for more ps2 titles, is that true?
Old 01-25-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the 80gb is software BC and doesn't support all PS2 games, I'd say it does about 85 - 90% flawlessly, though.

the 60gb is hardware BC and supports all PS2 games (sans accessory-based ones due to problems with the PS2 -> USB converter, but the software works fine). Best PS3 out there, though it appears to run a little hotter than the 40gb and 80gb.

the 20gb is hardware BC and supports all PS2 games (same limitation as the 60gb), no wifi though and missing some card reader options.

the 40gb has no PS2 BC at all.
Old 01-27-08, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
If you want a Blu-Ray player only, grab the 40GB. If you want PS2 support I would really suggest the 60GB. There's no need to spend the extra $100 to have crippled functionality and Motorstorm will be $20 or less in no time if you really wanted that.
Now that Best Buy is honoring the 20% coupon on the PS3, I could get a new 80gb for roughly the same price I spent on the 60gb. Is the "brand new" factor, reduction in heat output (from what I've read), and guarantee of 5 free blu-rays worth the switch from hardware BC to software BC?

Thanks again for everyone's help. (I also have the Simpsons game on the way to play as well as Sunshine to watch, both of which I'm excited about.)
Old 01-27-08, 12:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by TLwizard
Now that Best Buy is honoring the 20% coupon on the PS3, I could get a new 80gb for roughly the same price I spent on the 60gb. Is the "brand new" factor, reduction in heat output (from what I've read), and guarantee of 5 free blu-rays worth the switch from hardware BC to software BC?

Thanks again for everyone's help. (I also have the Simpsons game on the way to play as well as Sunshine to watch, both of which I'm excited about.)
I'd say yes, but it would depend on which PS2 games you plan to buy and which PS3 systems they work. I'm sure there is a compatibility list out there somewhere.
Old 01-27-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no list, there is a search engine.
Old 01-27-08, 07:06 PM

Picked up a brand new 60GB from a Gamerush this weekend. I suggest you call up stores around you to see if they have any left. I had to travel to the next town over to pick mine up but for the Emotion Engine chip for backward compatibility plus a new console warranty I felt it was worth it.
Old 01-27-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by WepaMan
Picked up a brand new 60GB from a Gamerush this weekend. I suggest you call up stores around you to see if they have any left. I had to travel to the next town over to pick mine up but for the Emotion Engine chip for backward compatibility plus a new console warranty I felt it was worth it.
How much did you pay for it?
Old 01-27-08, 10:29 PM

Sticker price was $449 but I took several PSP and DS games to trade in to lower that cost.

Still cheaper than the 80GB and full backwards compat. I can do without motorstorm.