Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Old 09-23-21, 12:22 AM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 10,819
Received 535 Likes on 325 Posts
The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

This is the Official Those Clowns in Congress Did It Again What a Bunch of Clowns Thread.

Use it to discuss those clowns in Congress and how they did it again. And keep up with the news. What a bunch of clowns.


https://youtu.be/IC3W1BiUjp0


Old 09-23-21, 11:49 AM
  #2  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 10,819
Received 535 Likes on 325 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

As debate goes on over whether to do a government shut down or past funding and raise the debt ceiling, I was curious how often this has happened. I mean, I've heard about this or experienced it more than once as an adult, but is it something relatively new or did I just not know or pay attention as a kid? A quick glance at the topic on Wikipedia shows it happened a surprisingly high number of times during the Reagan administration and has happened often since then in the 1990s and 2010s to now.

Is this all grandstanding and power play? Is this a legit thing that needs to be worked at together? Sometimes it all feels like too much distraction.
Old 09-23-21, 12:09 PM
  #3  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 10,819
Received 535 Likes on 325 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

This is disappointing. Members of congress debated for months on police reform at the federal level and talks just plain break down. I often wonder how this sort of thing happens. Do people just say, eh, yeah, we need change, but what can you do? Certainly not what you're proposing, so we're out. It truly feels like a "now or never" moment in history. That is, of course, until the next one, which I really, really don't want to happen. And yet, it likely will, especially if they don't change anything.
Old 09-23-21, 12:13 PM
  #4  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 10,819
Received 535 Likes on 325 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

How do you do your job well when you're receiving death threats? This is so gross:

Threats against members of Congress are skyrocketing. It's changing the job by Sarah D. Wire for the LA Times

In a year that kicked off with the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, threats against lawmakers are soaring. In the first three months of 2021, the U.S. Capitol Police recorded 4,135 threats against members of Congress. If that pace continues, total threats this year will double those in 2020.

...The surge in threats has grown exponentially in recent years. In 2016, Capitol Police investigated 902 threats, former House Sergeant at Arms Paul Irving said in a June 2017 letter to the Federal Election Commission. By 2018, there were 5,206 threats, and by 2020, there were 8,613, according to Capitol Police figures provided to The Times.
I mean, what do you even do with that?!
Old 09-23-21, 12:34 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 15,770
Received 347 Likes on 252 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by story View Post
As debate goes on over whether to do a government shut down or past funding and raise the debt ceiling, I was curious how often this has happened. I mean, I've heard about this or experienced it more than once as an adult, but is it something relatively new or did I just not know or pay attention as a kid? A quick glance at the topic on Wikipedia shows it happened a surprisingly high number of times during the Reagan administration and has happened often since then in the 1990s and 2010s to now.

Is this all grandstanding and power play? Is this a legit thing that needs to be worked at together? Sometimes it all feels like too much distraction.
Why does this keep happening? It seems now that every couple years you hear "OMG! We need to raise the debt ceiling or the government will collapse, everyone will be furloughed, no one will be spared the negative effects, blah blah blah". Is this not something that can be permanently fixed or will this keep happening ad nauseum? What a dysfunctional, broken government the US has.
Old 09-23-21, 12:50 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 16,054
Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by story View Post
How do you do your job well when you're receiving death threats? This is so gross:

Threats against members of Congress are skyrocketing. It's changing the job by Sarah D. Wire for the LA Times



I mean, what do you even do with that?!
Convince a certain group to hold more superspreader rallys. That might help reduce the number eventually.
Old 09-23-21, 01:38 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,673
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

My nominee for biggest Democratic clown in Congress



Old 09-23-21, 03:34 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,427
Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Goddamn that flouncy thumbs down is the FUCKING WORST.
Old 09-23-21, 03:43 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 14,687
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
My nominee for biggest Democratic clown in Congress


She's got my vote. Sadly, she represents this state perfectly.
Old 09-23-21, 03:52 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 56,915
Received 2,040 Likes on 1,310 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Goddamn that flouncy thumbs down is the FUCKING WORST.
Especially given the context : Raising the minimum wage.
Old 09-23-21, 03:53 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 56,915
Received 2,040 Likes on 1,310 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by cungar View Post


Old 09-23-21, 05:25 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 125,587
Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by story View Post
This is disappointing. Members of congress debated for months on police reform at the federal level and talks just plain break down. I often wonder how this sort of thing happens. Do people just say, eh, yeah, we need change, but what can you do? Certainly not what you're proposing, so we're out. It truly feels like a "now or never" moment in history. That is, of course, until the next one, which I really, really don't want to happen. And yet, it likely will, especially if they don't change anything.
They won't repeal qualified immunity. Par for the course for Congress and Democrats.

But hey, the murder of George Floyd resulted in getting rid of the Washington football team name (which has nothing to do with police abuse). So I guess that's a big win.
Old 09-23-21, 05:50 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 36,394
Received 796 Likes on 587 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
They won't repeal qualified immunity. Par for the course for Congress and Democrats.

But hey, the murder of George Floyd resulted in getting rid of the Washington football team name (which has nothing to do with police abuse). So I guess that's a big win.
Don't forget about Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima.

It's like, yeah, we know there's police abuse, but nobody really wants to do anything about it, so here's a consolation prize.

They're saving Mavis Beacon for the next sacrifice when the cops blow away some black kid armed with nothing but an iPhone.


Old 09-23-21, 05:54 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 125,587
Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Don't forget about Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima.

It's like, yeah, we know there's police abuse, but nobody really wants to do anything about it, so here's a consolation prize.

They're saving Mavis Beacon for the next sacrifice when the cops blow away some black kid armed with nothing but an iPhone.
2 more big wins. That I guess really matter.
Old 09-23-21, 05:57 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 14,687
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Don't forget about Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima.

It's like, yeah, we know there's police abuse, but nobody really wants to do anything about it, so here's a consolation prize.

They're saving Mavis Beacon for the next sacrifice when the cops blow away some black kid armed with nothing but an iPhone.
Already in the works. They're changing Mavis Beacon to Malvin Beacon and using Eddie Deezen and his Malvin character from Wargames.
Old 09-24-21, 06:02 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,078
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
She's got my vote. Sadly, she represents this state perfectly.
Don't know who this goofball is but guess she represents Arizona? Too bad people can't be removed for lack of professionalism.
Old 09-26-21, 12:06 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,427
Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

I’m starting to think that MTG might not know what she’s talking about.


Last edited by Draven; 09-26-21 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-26-21, 03:17 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 36,394
Received 796 Likes on 587 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

They just throw around words like "communism" and "socialism" without any real knowledge of what they actually mean.
Old 09-26-21, 04:18 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 576
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
They just throw around words like "communism" and "socialism" without any real knowledge of what they actually mean.
"They" being all Americans except Bernie Sanders?
Old 09-27-21, 11:12 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 7,417
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

In a move that should surprise no one Nancy Pelosi is now saying that a vote needs to occur on the bipartisan infrastructure deal without a vote on the already watered down reconciliation bill occurring being done at the same time. Will progressives give in or stick to their guns and refuse to vote on the infrastructure deal without the reconciliation act being voted for on the same day? Looks like we'll find out Thursday at the latest.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...afety-n1280215
Old 09-28-21, 07:51 AM
  #21  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 34,792
Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

This is all so frustrating. Meanwhile, the opportunity to (try to) pass voting rights legislation is quickly passing us by. We're doomed.
Old 10-05-21, 09:30 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,436
Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

This time the clowns are the looney lefties following Senator Sinema into the bathroom to harrass her about her reconciliation vote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...econciliation/

If both sides keep pulling this shit, we will never have any decent people who get involved in politics. Who the hell wants to deal with that nonsense, as people should be allowed to goto the bathroom in peace. Y ou keep doing this, all you are going to do is elect more narcissists in Congress who this stuff doesn't bother.
Old 10-05-21, 09:37 AM
  #23  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 34,792
Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Yeah, that was way over the line. Picket her offices, approach her (politely) in public, but don't follow her into the bathroom.
Old 10-05-21, 10:32 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 18,607
Received 874 Likes on 606 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Any time I see people confront politicians like that I just assume they’re doing it for the publicity. They have no intention of actually having an effective conversation with a congresswoman taking a shit (I’ve also seen a recent one where Sinema is confronted while flying on an airplane). Unless they’re completely ignorant of how a productive conversation works, it’s pointless.

Of course, the fact that all of these people have their cell phone video recording during the confrontations tells me everything I need to know about their motives.
Old 10-05-21, 10:39 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 12,115
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
re: The 117th US Congress Thread 2021-2023

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
They have no intention of actually having an effective conversation with a congresswoman taking a shit
I see, so blatant kinkshaming is allowed here now? smdh

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.