Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Old 09-15-21, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: 2021 Elections Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A PPC voter, I bet.
That's my guess. I was surprised about the number of PPC signs I've seen in our neighborhood during Canada's current election (but we do live in a rural area). They (so far) have small support, but have really gained some traction in this election, mostly among the anti-vaxxer, anti-mask, anti-lockdown crowd. Bunch of crazies from what I've seen and read, sadly the US hasn't cornered the market on such people, they are gaining ground in many countries nowadays. I'll be voting next Monday, and it won't be for those nutballs.

Originally Posted by Dan
We sent our absentee ballots in... not that it'll make any difference in our particular riding.

Damn, you must be proud of your home province for shitting the bed on their Covid response. Alberta foolishly decided to do away with all restrictions this summer and the number of cases there are now way higher than the rest of Canada, they are running out of ICU beds, what a mess. As much as I'm not a fan of our Premier, at least Ontario hasn't followed Alberta's path, things are not too bad here right now.

Last edited by cultshock; 09-15-21 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 300 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Who we've all been waiting to hear from. 55,000 people voted for her as opposed to 5.8 million against the recall.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1...395581953?s=20
She knows she's not in TX, right? If she can't believe that one of the bluest states overwhelmingly voted for the Dem then she really needs to go back and get a basic education on how politics work.
Old 09-15-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
She knows she's not in TX, right? If she can't believe that one of the bluest states overwhelmingly voted for the Dem then she really needs to go back and get a basic education on how politics work.

Probably best she just skip the whole politics thing and just go straight back to reality TV
Old 09-15-21, 01:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Damn, you must be proud of your home province for shitting the bed on their Covid response. Alberta foolishly decided to do away with all restrictions this summer and the number of cases there are now way higher than the rest of Canada, they are running out of ICU beds, what a mess. As much as I'm not a fan of our Premier, at least Ontario hasn't followed Alberta's path, things are not too bad here right now.
As soon as I heard that they were doing this, I knew what the outcome would be. Kenney and his gang of clowns. I love AB, but I hate its politics so much
Old 09-15-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts

I have no idea what the current numbers are like but I chuckled at this:

Then I saw how far ahead Elder is of the field (which doesn't matter because the recall failed) which made me sad again.
Old 09-15-21, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Iím 100% not saying that fraud exists in the election but this is the kind of stuff that Republican voters will use as evidence of fraud. I heard for the last few days that the results would be trickling in over the next week or so due to the ballots only needing to be postmarked by the 14th and the. Then just hours after the polls close, the news channels declare Newsom the winner.

Again, Iím not saying thereís fraud but you know the people that already suspect a fraudulent election just use that as more proof.
Not sure how that's problematic. You can't get mail postmarked on the 14th after the polls closed -- the post offices are closed too. So the projection doesn't discourage votes. How does this point to fraud in any way? Is it just from people that don't understand how any of this works and that you can make reasonable predictions based on where the remaining ballots are coming from?
Old 09-15-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I have no idea what the current numbers are like but I chuckled at this:

https://twitter.com/kittyflandre/sta...85862025764864

Then I saw how far ahead Elder is of the field (which doesn't matter because the recall failed) which made me sad again.
He only got like 24% of the vote since most people voted No and didn't pick one of the clowns in the second part.
Old 09-15-21, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The field is garbage, though. About two thirds of Californians wanted to keep Newsom, and of the ones who voted pro-recall, Elder didn't even get half the vote. In essence, five out of six Californians said "no thanks" to what Larry Elder spent a lot of money trying to sell.

And then there's this:

Old 09-15-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 742 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The field is garbage, though. About two thirds of Californians wanted to keep Newsom, and of the ones who voted pro-recall, Elder didn't even get half the vote. In essence, five out of six Californians said "no thanks" to what Larry Elder spent a lot of money trying to sell.

And then there's this:

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/s...132962826?s=20
That's a weird map. Presumably Newsom won the places like LA and SF -- or at least got the "NO" on the recall vote, if not actually won -- so shouldn't they be blue? Or does the yes/no flip the colors from the traditional red/blue we're used to?

And I'm also guessing that the lighter colors on the COVID map are the ones that have the lowest rates.

Still, it desperately needs a legend.
Old 09-15-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 337 Likes on 215 Posts

The field is garbage, though. About two thirds of Californians wanted to keep Newsom, and of the ones who voted pro-recall, Elder didn't even get half the vote.
I don't think this is correct. If you voted No to the recall the vote below still counted in case he was recalled and I've seen no breakdown of people who voted yes or no and the correlating candidates. So, far more likely, most of the people who voted for a Democrat to replace Newsom voted No. If you remove the Democrats from the list I think you have a much more likely picture of who those who were pro-recall voted for and of those, including all parties except Democrat, that was 3.59 million votes of which Elder got 2.37 ... about 66%.
Old 09-15-21, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I don't think this is correct. If you voted No to the recall the vote below still counted in case he was recalled and I've seen no breakdown of people who voted yes or no and the correlating candidates. So, far more likely, most of the people who voted for a Democrat to replace Newsom voted No. If you remove the Democrats from the list I think you have a much more likely picture of who those who were pro-recall voted for and of those, including all parties except Democrat, that was 3.59 million votes of which Elder got 2.37 ... about 66%.
Sorry, I don't have the source, but I saw that about 44% of all voters left question #2 blank. Thus the true breakdown was 44% (no selection), 26% Elder, Paffrath (love the name) and others were all below 10%
Old 09-15-21, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
It's a good point that I was wrong to say Elder didn't get half of the "Yes" on recall vote, because as you point out, people could vote "No" on recall and then vote for a candidate. But as Paff points out, most "No" on recall voters left question 2 blank, so the number isn't as high as you indicate either.
Old 09-15-21, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
That's a weird map. Presumably Newsom won the places like LA and SF -- or at least got the "NO" on the recall vote, if not actually won -- so shouldn't they be blue? Or does the yes/no flip the colors from the traditional red/blue we're used to?

And I'm also guessing that the lighter colors on the COVID map are the ones that have the lowest rates.

Still, it desperately needs a legend.
Yep, it needs a legend. The blue areas voted for recall.

Again proving how stupid it is to politicize a public-health issue.

Old 09-15-21, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 218 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
She must not wear that very much - there's no way the marker could hold up for very many washings over the past 5 years.
That would've been a good dig.
I naively thought Canada doesn't have this kind of trash. Then I saw Trailer Park Boys and it opened up a whole side of Canada I didn't know existed.
We only wish. It's far too common. The only good thing is that it's also easy to avoid, with a good circle of friends.
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A PPC voter, I bet.

We sent our absentee ballots in... not that it'll make any difference in our particular riding.
Probably. But that's fine by me. Taking votes away from the Conservatives is a good thing. It's going to be very close.
Old 09-16-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"We have a voter integrity board all set up — most of these are lawyers," Larry Elder said Wednesday, according to CNN. "So, when people hear things, they contact us. We're going to file lawsuits in a timely fashion."
Any word on what Larry Elder's lawyers have dug up on the rigged Recall election?

Old 09-16-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 229 Posts

Any word on what Larry Elder's lawyers have dug up on the rigged Recall election?
Yes, and you wouldnít believe how much theyíre finding. All will be revealed in two weeks.
Old 09-16-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post

Probably. But that's fine by me. Taking votes away from the Conservatives is a good thing. It's going to be very close.
Yep, a good thing and it is very close indeed. The PPC is definitely splitting the conservative vote to some degree (their strong support locally seemed to come out of nowhere, but I'm sure the discontent that has been simmering throughout the lockdowns, etc. resulted in this) so I'm guessing that O'Toole is sweating as much as Trudeau is at this point.
Old 09-16-21, 10:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I disagree only because PPC isn't getting any seats anyway so the more votes PPC get, just legitimizes their batshit platform.

But yeah, agreed that taking votes away from the CPC is good generally. In my head, that's what the BQ is doing, but I realize that not all BQ voters would be CPC voters if the BQ didn't exist, whereas I'd say a good majority of NDP voters would be Liberal voters if the Liberal party actually tried to cater to them a little bit.

Meanwhile, Mulroney is hinting at what the CPC would do with power...

Because being "Conservative" means making tough and deep structural changes, apparently. Not something Canada needs coming from that side of the aisle, as it's probably shit like for-profit healthcare, etc.
Old 09-16-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 337 Likes on 215 Posts

It's a good point that I was wrong to say Elder didn't get half of the "Yes" on recall vote, because as you point out, people could vote "No" on recall and then vote for a candidate. But as Paff points out, most "No" on recall voters left question 2 blank, so the number isn't as high as you indicate either.
Right and I excluded those in my numbers. I think my numbers are pretty accurate based on the information we have. But we can assume some Democrats might have voted for a Republican and some Republicans might have voted for a Democrat so I'll throw the MoE up around 3%. We do have totals of # of voters on question #2. vs No voters on question #1 so we can work this backwards and it does come out about the same using the same deductions. Either way it doesn't matter but I guess my point was that I think as far as those who voted Yes - Elder easily got more than 50% of the vote. But when only 36% vote Yes to begin with.. I'm not really sure how they can parlay that stat into any sort of optimism for next year. But it seems like they are trying..
Old 09-16-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard comments that Elder is now the leader of the GOP in California and he may run again next year against Newsom. Am I the only one who thought the guy was the most unappealing candidate imaginable? I don't think I saw him smile once during the whole campaign. Most of the time he looked miserable or disgusted. That and the fact his policies go against what 2/3 of Californians want, I don't see the appeal of him running again.

Old 09-16-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yes, and you wouldnít believe how much theyíre finding. All will be revealed in two weeks.
I canít wait until August when the MyPillow guy will reveal ALL! Itís going to be a bombshell!!
Old 09-16-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I heard comments that Elder is now the leader of the GOP in California and he may run again next year against Newsom. Am I the only one who thought the guy was the most unappealing candidate imaginable? I don't think I saw him smile once during the whole campaign. Most of the time he looked miserable or disgusted. That and the fact his policies go against what 2/3 of Californians want, I don't see the appeal of him running again.

These days, it's all about the grift. Even when a candidate loses, they win.
Old 09-16-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I canít wait until August when the MyPillow guy will reveal ALL! Itís going to be a bombshell!!
Or when Cyber Ninjas does an audit of LA County that costs millions of taxpayer dollars, takes 6 months and culminates in no Audit Report..
Old 09-16-21, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Cungar, and thank goodness we will not have to deal with that BS, since there are not enough politicians who would back a Cyber Ninja "audit" in the halls of Sacramento, that does not worry me at all that something like that could happen in CA. What happened in AZ was such a farce and if the GOP knew how to be embarrassed they would have shut down the AZ audit before it became the ultimate clown show.
Old 09-16-21, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Cungar, and thank goodness we will not have to deal with that BS, since there are not enough politicians who would back a Cyber Ninja "audit" in the halls of Sacramento, that does not worry me at all that something like that could happen in CA. What happened in AZ was such a farce and if the GOP knew how to be embarrassed they would have shut down the AZ audit before it became the ultimate clown show.
Also Elder doesn't have the resources or lack of self awareness that Trump has. He knows he's done. Trump still doesn't know it.